CrazyBoards.org

BP2, not really manic, not really depressed, but I do tend to stay in an irritated mood. Need meds because I am dangerously close to menopause age and don't want this on top of that. Life is too short to be in this pissed off irritated state of mind. Thanks for any ideas, stories and suggestions. 

1 hour ago, hopelessromantic said:

BP2, not really manic, not really depressed, but I do tend to stay in an irritated mood. Need meds because I am dangerously close to menopause age and don't want this on top of that. Life is too short to be in this pissed off irritated state of mind. Thanks for any ideas, stories and suggestions. 

So you would like to add a med? what is your dose of Seroquel? I have also had prolonged irritated states, but usually in the context of a mixed episode. I have tried tons of meds for it (see signature) but the success rate has been pretty low (until Clozaril, which comes with other problems.) It looks like you haven't tried a lot of "sedating" or "stabilizing" meds.... although Seroquel is one of those which is why I wondered about the dose. If you do decide to go the add-on route, there are many options available to you, but it would also be reasonable to work on optimizing the Seroquel dose before making a straight change. often, people with BP need a dedicated mood stabilizer but from your list it looks like you may not have tried one (the major ones are lithium, Depakote, Tegretol/Equetro, and lamictal- which is often regarded as handy for BP2.) 

I am a pretty crabby person.  Some mood stabilizers that have helped are topamax and lithium.  Topamax was for weird headaches, but it really helped with frustration and irritability (for me).

Depakote helps my irritability and agitation. Most of the antipsychotics do not help me personally, except Haldol and low doses of Seroquel. My go-to medication is Klonopin, though.