CrazyBoards.org

Hi, I've been diagnosed for a while. Geodon takes care of keeping my moods stable but I am having a hell of a time managing the depression which is almost crippling me right now. In desperation to feel better I made an emergency appointment with my phychiatrist yesterday. He is weaning me from 200mg zoloft to a starting dose of 75mg of effexor, moving to 150 in one week. He also added 5mg of ritalin twice per day, which he said would help the effexor kick in faster. I tried googling for information about using ritalin in depression but I couldn't find anything.

Has anyone heard of or been prescribed this treatment?

I've taken my first dose about 45 minutes ago and feel fine so far but I am so prone to anxiety that I am just a little worried about using speed.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Magritte

Hi Magritte, long time no see.

Yes, occasionally cns stimulants are used to help with depression that isn't responding to meds. Typically it is used as an add on medication to AD's. We have several members who are using it that way.  I didn't find any reference in a quick web search. 

The stimulants can exacerbate anxiety problems, so there are potential downsides. In bipolars there is always the possibily of triggering a manic switch.

Um, you got a mood stabilizer in your cocktail somewhere?

Hope it works for you.

A.M.

Personally, I find that Provigil has augmented my Cymbalta, Trazodone, and Lamictal, as much of my depression involves being unable to get out of bed.

Wellbutrin is also a stimulant, in addition to being an official AD.  It works mainly on dopamine and norepinephrine, whereas the only in vitro demonstrated action of Provigil is on the alpha-2 adrenergic receptors.

Archived