CrazyBoards.org

I have ADHD primarily inattentive, and until recently it was pretty much decently controlled. However, in the last 4-6 months, I have been suffering greatly from the inattentive symptoms so much so that they are practically debilitating. Also, my motivation to do anything, recreational or not, has just gone completely out the window. My room has been an absolute mess—an embarrassingly barely traversable sea of clothes and trash that I just cannot bring myself to pick one single thing up. I'm sure depression is a factor, but just... FUCK! I ran off the road the other day because I was flapping my gums talking to my friend and not paying attention to the road. I got a flat tire on my brand new set of 4 tires and bent the fucking rim of the wheel! That's going to cost a lot to fix... Going to have to probably leave my car at the dealership while they order the part to replace it with...

My pdoc just simply doesn't prescribe me stims anymore. Won't get into that. We got into an argument and now she's all vindictive about it. She barely prescribed 10 mg Adderall before that anyway as the death of her husband left her very conservative with prescribing, especially stims.

So my gdoc does my stims. He didn't know what to do. I asked about adding a little oral selegiline (Eldepryl) for the levoamphetamine metabolites (more noradrenergic = better for inattention) + MAO-B inhibition for more dopamine (better for motivation symptoms), but he said "that sent shivers down [his] spine just thinking about prescribing that" and preferred to stay away from it. So I asked about protriptyline (Vivactil), which I've taken before with some success, and he agreed. Problem is, it's so uncommon and hard to find that I'm going to have to use a mail-order pharmacy to get it, very likely.

Any self-proclaimed ADHD experts out there? Should I be searching for a second pdoc to see specifically for my ADHD? Someone who will go above the 60 mg max of Dexedrine for my ADHD? A second amphetamine stimulant? (Adding methylphenidate to amphetamine will cancel each others' mechanisms of action out...) I have tried all the amphetamine stimulants and so far Dexedrine is the most potent, even more potent than Desoxyn (methamphetamine), which I hated... I don't want to go back to Adderall because of the shortage... Evekeo my insurance doesn't pay for, but would actually probably be best for me because of my inattentive symptoms. (shrugs)

Anyone have any ideas on other augmenting options? Add something like phentermine? I don't think protriptyline (an NRI) is going to cut it. Atomoxetine 80 mg hasn't, desipramine 200 mg hasn't, and nortriptyline 150 mg hasn't either. I've tried amoxapine up to 150 mg I think, but it doesn't feel too potent, and has dopamine blocking, and maprotiline I'm afraid of the seizures and the sedation/weight gain...

Kinda thinking about giving an MAOI another try, but my pdoc is so so so stingy with those...

• Like 1

Sorry you're going through this right now. Also, sorry about you car. That's a tough call. My instinct would be to guess that the depression is causing inattentive symptoms on top of the ADHD. From what you say about your pdoc not wanting to prescribe stimulants, it sounds like she's not willing to really work with you. Probably if it were me I'd want to get a fresh set of eyes on it at least, and maybe search for a new pdoc. I'd screen a few for sure if you can, asking about their attitudes, experience with, and strategies prescribing for ADHD. As far as what meds to augment with, I can't speak to that.

Why does your pdoc not want to prescribe you stimulants? There might be more to it than she simply doesn’t want to do it. What does she think of you going to your GP to get around her decision? 

Being at home constantly and everything shutting down for the past few months has made my ADD much worse than it normally is. I’m expected to structure my own days and I’m finding myself incapable of focusing enough to do that. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 0112358 said:

Sorry you're going through this right now. Also, sorry about you car. That's a tough call. My instinct would be to guess that the depression is causing inattentive symptoms on top of the ADHD. From what you say about your pdoc not wanting to prescribe stimulants, it sounds like she's not willing to really work with you. Probably if it were me I'd want to get a fresh set of eyes on it at least, and maybe search for a new pdoc. I'd screen a few for sure if you can, asking about their attitudes, experience with, and strategies prescribing for ADHD. As far as what meds to augment with, I can't speak to that.

I'm afraid to start over new with a new pdoc. I've built trust with this one, my first one. But I'm slowly starting to realize that I'm not getting all the treatment I need from her.

So maybe I do need a new one, but there are so few in my area (I live in Alabama... T_T).

10 hours ago, saintalto said:

Why does your pdoc not want to prescribe you stimulants? There might be more to it than she simply doesn’t want to do it. What does she think of you going to your GP to get around her decision? 

Being at home constantly and everything shutting down for the past few months has made my ADD much worse than it normally is. I’m expected to structure my own days and I’m finding myself incapable of focusing enough to do that. 

I can only assume it's out of spite from that discussion we had, or that she believes "I will obsess over it and that will interfere with my treatment" as is her new favorite phrase. She wants me to think as little as possible about my meds basically. I get where she's coming from, but I think she overestimates how much I "obsess" over my treatment. AFAIK, she doesn't know about me going to my doc for stimulants to get around her decision. I haven't mentioned it to her. It's totally a bad call on my part, I know, but she would literally lose it if she knew I was on 60 mg Dexedrine.

That definitely is a huge possibility as I've been home a lot more than usual myself with nothing to do.

3 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

I'm afraid to start over new with a new pdoc. I've built trust with this one, my first one. But I'm slowly starting to realize that I'm not getting all the treatment I need from her.

So maybe I do need a new one, but there are so few in my area (I live in Alabama... T_T).

I can only assume it's out of spite from that discussion we had, or that she believes "I will obsess over it and that will interfere with my treatment" as is her new favorite phrase. She wants me to think as little as possible about my meds basically. I get where she's coming from, but I think she overestimates how much I "obsess" over my treatment. AFAIK, she doesn't know about me going to my doc for stimulants to get around her decision. I haven't mentioned it to her. It's totally a bad call on my part, I know, but she would literally lose it if she knew I was on 60 mg Dexedrine.

That definitely is a huge possibility as I've been home a lot more than usual myself with nothing to do.

I agree, that’s a bad call... I think you could even get yourself some future issues if pdoc found you were going around her for the stims... also surprised your gdoc isn’t more concerned. In times like these with virus and shit, I would be hesitant to go for a new doctor switch, but as suggested above a second opinion might not hurt cuz correct me if I’m wrong but it seems like you really aren’t on the same page anymore. I know her “obsession” comments may not be valid, but I also know you like to be super involved with your med mechanism of action and augmentation strategies, but I think it’s highly possibly that a new doc won’t be as receptive to that as a doc you already have a relationship with. I am on phone, I will save any med comments until I can (re)see your med attempts 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Iceberg said:

I agree, that’s a bad call... I think you could even get yourself some future issues if pdoc found you were going around her for the stims... also surprised your gdoc isn’t more concerned. In times like these with virus and shit, I would be hesitant to go for a new doctor switch, but as suggested above a second opinion might not hurt cuz correct me if I’m wrong but it seems like you really aren’t on the same page anymore. I know her “obsession” comments may not be valid, but I also know you like to be super involved with your med mechanism of action and augmentation strategies, but I think it’s highly possibly that a new doc won’t be as receptive to that as a doc you already have a relationship with. I am on phone, I will save any med comments until I can (re)see your med attempts 

Yeah. Kinda thinking I may ask her for a stimulant again next time I see her, like Vyvanse or something, and just take what she gives me and deal with the low dose, and stop going to my doctor for stims.

My signature currently only contains my current meds, but my profile has all my past meds in it (probably need to update it).

Edited by mikl_pls

10 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

I can only assume it's out of spite from that discussion we had, or that she believes "I will obsess over it and that will interfere with my treatment" as is her new favorite phrase.

I hate statements like that - in my opinion that's the kind of thing a pdoc says to someone when they can't deal with how intelligent or inquisitive their patient is. I've even dealt with pdocs etc. who think that tracking my mood is a sign of obsessiveness just because I know how to make a simple graph. Not to say you should definitely find someone new to work with; those people were alright other than that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 0112358 said:

I hate statements like that - in my opinion that's the kind of thing a pdoc says to someone when they can't deal with how intelligent or inquisitive their patient is. I've even dealt with pdocs etc. who think that tracking my mood is a sign of obsessiveness just because I know how to make a simple graph. Not to say you should definitely find someone new to work with; those people were alright other than that.

Several years ago, I would have totally agreed with you... until I basically talked myself into a hospitalization by insisting on meds the pdoc wasn’t comfortable with ... spoiler alert: it went badly. I am not an advocate of patients not being allowed in on the med discussion obviously, but I do think there are often good intentions there, and sometimes even a valid point. Clearly though, I was not in the room with mikl and the pdoc, so I can’t comment on whether that scenario applies 

• Like 2

@mikl_pls I dont have a great deal too add just dropping by hoping things are getting better for you..You have helped me a lot with your words of encouragment plus your vast knowledge of meds....Keep well pal

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Iceberg said:

Several years ago, I would have totally agreed with you... until I basically talked myself into a hospitalization by insisting on meds the pdoc wasn’t comfortable with ... spoiler alert: it went badly. I am not an advocate of patients not being allowed in on the med discussion obviously, but I do think there are often good intentions there, and sometimes even a valid point. Clearly though, I was not in the room with mikl and the pdoc, so I can’t comment on whether that scenario applies 

I don’t feel comfortable with Mikl’s choice to go around his pdoc’s back. I know from experience that stimulants can exacerbate mood symptoms and cause psychosis even if they are working well in other ways. They are not something to mess with. I think the pdoc has her reasons and there’s more to it than spite. I don’t feel comfortable that someone with so much influence on members around here is doing something that’s a huge violation of the pdoc’s trust. It sets a bad example for others. She needs to know what he’s on in order to treat him correctly. No one should be going around their pdoc’s back like that. 

Edited by saintalto
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, saintalto said:

I don’t feel comfortable with Mikl’s choice to go around his pdoc’s back. I know from experience that stimulants can exacerbate mood symptoms and cause psychosis even if they are working well in other ways. They are not something to mess with. I think the pdoc has her reasons and there’s more to it than spite. I don’t feel comfortable that someone with so much influence on members around here is doing something that’s a huge violation of the pdoc’s trust. It sets a bad example for others. She needs to know what he’s on in order to treat him correctly. No one should be going around their pdoc’s back like that. 

Also, I would be concerned about getting a "drug seeker" tag since it is a controlled substance 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Iceberg said:

17 hours ago, saintalto said:

So this is what my life is amounting to...

She was absolutely livid with me that day...

What happened was I was questioning her arbitrarily setting the dose cap of 30 mg/day on Dexedrine when it is clearly indicated up to 40-60 mg/day, when she had previously prescribed me Adderall XR at greater than 60 mg/day at 90 mg/day once, which contains ~67.5 mg dextroamphetamine, which is not only greater than the max dose of 60 mg/day dextroamphetamine, but also more than twice the 30 mg limit she seemingly arbitrarily set on prescribing Dexedrine. I had to actually beg to get up to 30 mg of Dexedrine, actually... She didn't want to go above 15 mg initially, and then 20 mg was the limit, and then 30 mg was the limit and that was it...

When I put the question so frankly like that (I had attempted to be subtle about it before, but I was tired of not getting answers and not getting treatment), she literally short circuited... She tangentially started spouting out loosely (barely) associated medical facts, wound up digging herself into a hole where she started repeatedly telling me her credentials, how specialized she was, and how "you won't find psychiatrists with my kind of credentials these days," etc., etc., after which she then proceeded to pull the quintessential "let me be the doctor and you be the patient" card, all for a total of about 10-15 minutes while raising her voice considerably uncharacteristically for who she is. After she was done, I was sunk so low in my chair I was about to fall out of it, I wanted to cry myself into an eternal slumber, and I wanted to just cease existing.

I decided from thereon out that I was either not going to take stimulants ever again, or I was never going to talk to her about prescribing/taking stimulants ever again and would either, for better or for worse, go to my gdoc for them, go to a seperate pdoc for them, or just find a new pdoc. I have come very, very close a couple of times since then on separate occasions to calling it quits on her and finding someone else, but I always say "no, no... calm down... stay with her... she's the best there is for you..."

@saintalto So stimulants are what enables me to be functional on any level, specifically amphetamines. Methylphenidate does nothing at all, it's just a placebo for me. I am a rapid CYP2D6 metabolizer, so I rapidly metabolize amphetamines, and thus need higher doses to be more effective in the first place. My ADHD is also pretty treatment resistant, and I also have idiopathic hypersomnia, both of which need higher doses of stimulants than usual. They do not cause or exacerbate any mood symptoms in me. If anything, they ease my anxiety quite a lot, enable me to focus/work on things just a little bit here and there whereas without them I'm a total mess, handwriting is illegible, can't hold a thought in my head, etc., and they alleviate the melancholic nature of my treatment-resistant bipolar depression greater than any class of medicine has ever been able to (never caused mania or psychosis)—for me, they're the only thing that keeps me from begging for death to relieve me every waking moment of my life. When my gdoc started me out on Dexedrine 30 mg October 2017, and increased me to 40 mg for the first time ever, things were magical. Then to 60 mg, and I was functioning better than I did on Adderall XR 90 mg. I felt so alive and able-minded. I wished I had taken advantage of that and gotten a job or something.

But of course it only lasted for a few years like that. I'm now in a treatment-resistant depressive funk again (not primarily why I take Dexedrine, though) and my ADHD is worse now than I think it ever has been. Plus my sleep-wake cycle is entirely fucked up, something else that I depend on stimulants for quite heavily to be regulated, and it was very well regulated before, almost perfectly.

You can tell me all about how you morally don't feel comfortable with me going around my pdoc for stimulants... but you have no idea how my brain works, who I am, etc. She never officially turned me completely off from stimulants, I just decided never to talk to her about them again because she bitched me out about them for asking her a question about a peculiarity she had about prescribing them. Might I add that she suddenly became more stingy with prescribing pretty much everything except antipsychotics (she has no problems with prescribing you 2 and even 3 atypical antipsychotics at once...) right after her husband died from sudden cardiac arrest. It's sad and we all miss him, he was a great man and psychiatrist as well, but I'm not the only one who sees this—she's depriving me of treatment of my severe illnesses, not just ADHD, but more so my bipolar depression, likely because of her husband's death and likely the cause of death has something to do with it, too. She suddenly wouldn't go above 60 mg Cymbalta, she wouldn't go above 50 mg desipramine, she wouldn't go above 30 mg protriptyline, she wouldn't go above 150 mg Effexor XR, she wouldn't go above 150 mg Zoloft, etc. She wouldn't even go above 20 mg Adderall, 20 mg Ritalin, 20 mg of any stimulant... She stopped being willing to prescribe any MAOI whatsoever, even Emsam... She almost prescribed me 6 mg Emsam recently. 9 mg was the max she would go to. "Oh, you don't go up to 12 mg, that's too much." "Why?" "It's just too much." When I was on Parnate she wouldn't go above 20 mg until I begged her, then she put me on 40 mg and it pooped out anyway. So you see, it's not just stimulants, and it's not just spite, there's way, way, way more to the picture here. I guess I just didn't paint the whole picture because I was being lazy, unmotivated, didn't want to include too many details, etc. But now that this has been portrayed as something that it isn't, I had to go all out as best I could.

And if you want me to leave, "having so much influence on members around here [...] doing something that’s a huge violation of the pdoc’s trust" and "[setting] a bad example for others," then I'll fucking goddamn leave. It's like, I try to ask a question, the one time I ask a question once in a blue moon around here, and I get chastised instead. Thanks. Get bent.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

And if you want me to leave, "having so much influence on members around here [...] doing something that’s a huge violation of the pdoc’s trust" and "[setting] a bad example for others," then I'll fucking goddamn leave. It's like, I try to ask a question, the one time I ask a question once in a blue moon around here, and I get chastised instead. Thanks. Get bent.

mikl_pls -

Pull yourself together, man. Everyone here knows you're suffering in a bad way. Nobody questions that. We all do what we have to do to get through to the next day. Me, I've had to make the conscious decision for now to ignore my GP's instructions about my diabetes because if I don't self-medicate with sweet food I'll go dog-barking mad. We hear you loud and clear. It's the fact that you do speak so loudly and clearly here that's what concerned Saintalto.

People here listen to you. That's a fact. That means that because you choose to speak, you bear a greater responsibility to the members of this community than the average member. You've made yourself an authority on your subject. You've been of immense help to a great number of people, who now look to you for certain types of information. You may not want the responsibility, but there it is. You created it yourself.

I used to write here about my personal struggle with treatment-resistant Depression. Over time, I realized that my writing became darker and darker, until at last I decided to stop altogether rather than be responsible for members reading it and being pulled down by my despair. That was me deciding that my responsibility to others outweighed the benefit I would personally get from talking about my own problems on the boards. I'm not suggesting in any way that you stop posting - quite the opposite. I'm just saying that you must realize that you can't be, to use your word above, "lazy" with what you say. If mikl_pls sources his meds from someone besides his pdoc, then that might be an option, others may think, and as a peer-support site, we can't get behind that even if it's working for you in this particular situation.

With regard to this situation, especially if others have noticed the change in the pdoc's professional behavior since the death of her husband, she needs to be confronted on it, not as arguments that given dosages would be better, but observations that her behavior has changed and is affecting patients. If you can find some way to talk to a colleague of hers in the practice, or if you know other patients who can independently corroborate these changes, perhaps someone can present this to her in such a way that she has to at least reflect on her own bias.

Lastly - threatening us with leaving? Really? We usually only get that from self-absorbed nits with usernames like BlueSkyCryin' [not an actual member] who tell people what to do every other post and argue with the Mods. What good would leaving do anybody? Don't be irrational. And speaking of arguing with the Mods, you know better than to lash out at Saint like that. Knock that shit off.

We want you just as you are, but just... chill.

Cerberus

• Like 4

I'm really sorry everybody, this whole COVID craziness has me really cranky, reactive, and generally just jacked up mood-wise. I was a complete mess before I got on Caplyta (while on Latuda)... Just a daily meltdown or two, you know... The usual... Now I'm down to like a few meltdowns per month... I'm hoping that the protriptyline, if I can find a pharmacy that will dispense/supply it, will perhaps help me with these issues, but I don't think more norepinephrine will help with that, I think that's a dopamine issue if I'm not mistaken (along with the complete lack of motivation/reward deficit I deal with). The norepinephrine helps more with the inattentive symptoms from what I've read. 

I just kind of started re-experiencing the whole incident as I described it and it got me really upset all over again, and I become consumed with emotion...

I'm really sorry I lashed out at you, @saintalto. I do apologize.

@Cerberus, thank you for your calming, sobering words. I have come to realize this, and I often find that I fail to compose myself in an appropriate manner accordingly. (I'm worse in person... T_T)

@Iceberg, I wasn't directing the comment regarding morals at you. That was directed at @saintalto in that original comment. I quoted your comment for the first part of my response describing the event since you said "you weren't in the room."

Above all, I'm sorry and I apologize for my outburst. It's not like me to be like this. I'm ready to "return to being like me" again, but the more I think about it I realize I've never known what it's like to be "me"—I'm constantly establishing what it means to be "me" as I attempt to better myself. So hoping to "return" to an old way of being is probably not ideal.

Do y'all forgive me? 🥺

2 hours ago, Iceberg said:

@mikl_pls my comment wasn’t aimed at your morality, just genuine concern that you could get yourself in trouble 

Also, I do worry not only about getting myself in trouble, but worry more about getting my gdoc in trouble with the DEA and/or with my pdoc somehow...

5 hours ago, Cerberus said:

With regard to this situation, especially if others have noticed the change in the pdoc's professional behavior since the death of her husband, she needs to be confronted on it, not as arguments that given dosages would be better, but observations that her behavior has changed and is affecting patients. If you can find some way to talk to a colleague of hers in the practice, or if you know other patients who can independently corroborate these changes, perhaps someone can present this to her in such a way that she has to at least reflect on her own bias.

This. This is definitely what I have to figure out how to do. I have been thinking along these lines that something like this is what I needed to do ultimately (certainly before giving up and finding someone new), but just didn't have a solid idea in my mind on what exactly it was I needed to do. I had been going about it all the wrong ways before. Thank you for solidifying this for me. I'm just as afraid to approach her about this though, probably even more so, as it is a bit more personal. She is way touchier than she used to be now, especially when I have any questions or comments of any kind...

1 hour ago, mikl_pls said:

Also, I do worry not only about getting myself in trouble, but worry more about getting my gdoc in trouble with the DEA and/or with my pdoc somehow...

my concern  was you getting flagged and then having subsequent pdocs never trust you with them at all.

1 hour ago, mikl_pls said:

This. This is definitely what I have to figure out how to do. I have been thinking along these lines that something like this is what I needed to do ultimately (certainly before giving up and finding someone new), but just didn't have a solid idea in my mind on what exactly it was I needed to do. I had been going about it all the wrong ways before. Thank you for solidifying this for me. I'm just as afraid to approach her about this though, probably even more so, as it is a bit more personal. She is way touchier than she used to be now, especially when I have any questions or comments of any kind...

I forget, do you see a separate tdoc? 

21 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

my concern  was you getting flagged and then having subsequent pdocs never trust you with them at all.

This is also a concern of mine, but I'm most afraid of someone else getting in trouble at my expense.

22 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

I forget, do you see a separate tdoc? 

just recently (as of last week) started seeing an online counselor via BetterHelp. I was seeing one in person before the COVID-19 thing, but my anxiety, depression, and lack of motivation were all so bad I couldn't leave the house to save my life.

17 minutes ago, mikl_pls said:

This is also a concern of mine, but I'm most afraid of someone else getting in trouble at my expense.

just recently (as of last week) started seeing an online counselor via BetterHelp. I was seeing one in person before the COVID-19 thing, but my anxiety, depression, and lack of motivation were all so bad I couldn't leave the house to save my life.

maybe some sort of tdoc type would be a good place to prep/practice for a confrontation with your pdoc? I know that when I am super nervous about things like this, it helps to have a practice round, or at least advice on what to say. Also, how are you feeling about your Caplyta? It seems you've been having hard times lately, is it at anyway possible that switching to the Caplyta is a factor (maybe less stabilizing?) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

my anxiety, depression, and lack of motivation were all so bad I couldn't leave the house to save my life.

Have you tried setting fire to your house right before your appointment?🔥 

Just an idea...

• Haha 1