CrazyBoards.org
mjs190

Lexapro for bipolar depression and anxiety

Doc just started me on 5 mg of Lexapro for depression and anxiety related to bipolar disorder. Does anyone else successfully manage their symptoms with an SSRI? I'm treading with caution because I'm afraid it'll worsen my episode or cause me to flip into hypomania or a mixed episode.

I think the Prozac I take is helping my mood and anxiety. I haven’t ever had hypo/mania caused by antidepressants. 

On 6/25/2020 at 4:22 PM, mjs190 said:

Doc just started me on 5 mg of Lexapro for depression and anxiety related to bipolar disorder. Does anyone else successfully manage their symptoms with an SSRI? I'm treading with caution because I'm afraid it'll worsen my episode or cause me to flip into hypomania or a mixed episode.

That’s a pretty low dose, so I think that if you have ample mood stabizer coverage it should probably hold you. I’ve never gotten any positive help from SSRIs, one doc didn’t like them at all, one used them cautiously but only with high lithium dose...and one thought they were safe-ish with enough mood stabilizer but also ineffective for BP