CrazyBoards.org

If you drink too much water after taking meds, does that flush the medicine out of your system ?

I'm wondering this too. I take my meds first thing in morning, then immediately have big glass of water (or two), light breakfast and always, coffee. I assume this is probably acting as a diuretic. I have noticed my ritalin effects vary a lot, often wearing off very quickly...hmmm but so difficult for me to not drink 2 mugs of caffeine. Water intake is important, but I think it should be spaced out throughout the day (like 1 glass per hour or something?)

No you can't flush them out. It's an 8 hour process from stomach to exit, going through the intestines. Most absorption takes place in the upper GI.

It is best to take meds with some fat and some protein, I take a spoonful of peanut butter.  

• Like 1

It is best for the liquid to be pH neutral. OJ is too acid, so are some soft drinks. Water is really the best for pill taking. I avoid acidic drinks for an hour or so, to let the meds get through the stomach.

On 6/26/2020 at 5:53 AM, Blahblah said:

I'm wondering this too. I take my meds first thing in morning, then immediately have big glass of water (or two), light breakfast and always, coffee. I assume this is probably acting as a diuretic. 

Most meds are metabolized by the liver, a few exit the renal route directly. Meds like Keppra that are not metabolized at all so you pee the whole dose out. I diuretic could matter here. But mostly not. The main issue with coffee is it is acidic. Take your adderall with a cup of Joe and you will reduce its effectiveness.

On 6/27/2020 at 8:53 PM, notloki said:

Most meds are metabolized by the liver, a few exit the renal route directly. Meds like Keppra that are not metabolized at all so you pee the whole dose out. I diuretic could matter here. But mostly not. The main issue with coffee is it is acidic. Take your adderall with a cup of Joe and you will reduce its effectiveness.

I figured that coffee was probably interfering. I guess I should wait an hour after taking the med before drinking coffee?

2 hours ago, Gearhead said:

@Blahblah, coffee is essentially a medication itself.

I can't stand the stuff myself, but I have wondered why people don't just take the beans as pills and be done with it.

I habitually make iced tea and keep a pitcher of it in the fridge for the thirst after taking my meds.  Granted, I know that tea is a diuretic and it will make me piss even more than the meds do, but it beats the hell out of our nasty tapwater.

Edit:  Also no, you aren't flushing the meds out of your system faster than you otherwise would metabolize them.

Edited by Bad Haiku

11 hours ago, Gearhead said:

@Blahblah, coffee is essentially a medication itself.

ha, I mistakenly read this as " Coffee is an essential med itself"   Essential, yes. I've been self-medicating with it daily for 25 years.... Could be worse I guess 🤷‍♀️