Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Recommended Posts

I haven’t seen a therapist in over 5 years, I really forget when. She relocated to another state and I saw another a couple times only, then just quit. Have been fine with that. I’ve felt ok. This week my pdoc said he thought I could feel/do better, and I needed help with the recent worsening of things, would I consider a med change and seeing a therapist. He has one in mind for my type issues and that’s all I know. I agreed to see the therapist and will consider new meds. Honestly, I felt so bad for so long, but have been much better for some time now. It didn’t occur to me that feeling better was an option. 
 

The plan is goal directed therapy towards getting back to a routine, de hoarding, and who knows what else. Guess I’ll find out. Anyone go years without therapy then start again?  I don’t know what to think or expect. All I know is this person is recommended and is in the HMO. What the heck. How can I trust a total stranger?  Worse, the appointment is a month off. I hate waiting. This is a definite unexpected plan. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2020 at 11:08 PM, sugarsugar said:

The plan is goal directed therapy towards getting back to a routine, de hoarding, and who knows what else. Guess I’ll find out. Anyone go years without therapy then start again?  I don’t know what to think or expect. All I know is this person is recommended and is in the HMO. What the heck. How can I trust a total stranger?  Worse, the appointment is a month off. I hate waiting. This is a definite unexpected plan. 

If your pdoc is personally recommending this new therapist, I would suggest at least going a few times, and get an idea of what they're like, what their plan is for you.......It can't hurt to at least try, IMO.....If you don't like the therapist for some reason, you can always stop going.

Just my 2 cents.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I will do that. It will be video. I’m in serious need of help right now so I feel I need to give this a chance. I did find a bio section on the website and she works especially with women, especially young women—I’m pretty much the older end of the spectrum so hope that’ll work. Also read pdoc bio. Interesting but not unexpected info. I’m hoping his recommendation is good, he did pick a good one before. I’ll try. I really want this to work. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sugarsugar said:

I will do that. It will be video. I’m in serious need of help right now so I feel I need to give this a chance. I did find a bio section on the website and she works especially with women, especially young women—I’m pretty much the older end of the spectrum so hope that’ll work. Also read pdoc bio. Interesting but not unexpected info. I’m hoping his recommendation is good, he did pick a good one before. I’ll try. I really want this to work. 

Agree with @CrazyRedhead . Your pdoc knows you and your situation very well, so I’d trust that the recommendation is well-informed and appropriate to your case 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I went for many years in between therapy, by my choice. I didn't realize the pdoc I started seeing when I moved here three years ago also does therapy, but it's worked out well. I first saw a therapist around 20 years ago, and she in turn sent me to my first pdoc. I wasn't crazy about the therapist, so I quit seeing her but kept on with the pdoc until I moved out of the area. 

At my next new location in 2000, I first got hooked up with a pdoc, and then found a tdoc. I saw the tdoc for about one year, and after I told him I was suicidal and the first words out of his mouth were, "I wonder if my liability insurance is okay", I left and never went back. That was about 18 years ago, so doing the math it works out to 15 years between therapists. I feel I get a lot more from a pdoc, and I have continuously been under the care of a pdoc since I saw my first one. (I move every few years for work.) 

I think the most important thing about my relationship with my current p/tdoc is that I can talk about suicide. There's very little I won't talk about with my closest friends, but suicide is the one subject I'll never discuss with them. They know I have a serious MI and have hung in there with me through some bad spots, and I'm sure they realize suicide is a possible ending, but it would be too painful for them to discuss. I like and respect my p/tdoc tremendously, and although I couldn't tell you exactly why my weekly appointments with him help, I'm sure they do. Whether I'll bother with a therapist when I move away from here is an unknown, as the one I've got now will be a hard act to follow.

I hope your tdoc turns out to be a keeper. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well my true tests would be being able to talk about sex, if that was an issue, and hoarder type stuff, which is an issue. Those are hard to be able to talk about for whatever reason. They aren’t possible to talk to friends about, either. What’s up with that?  My pdoc does no therapy but thinks this therapist, a MSW, would be a good fit. I’m hoping so. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok tomorrow is my video appointment. I had to fill out some sort of agreement plus the uaual depression screen which seems standard. Plus two communications from the HMO about video appointments. OK, I’m ready. It’s probably going to be some sort of intake interview and I’ll find out how often I’m allowed/expected to see her. My past experience was that monthly was the norm, which seems odd, so I won’t be surprised if that’s still the norm. I need to ask how she will work with my pdoc. I’m fitting this in my work day so hope it won’t get emotional in any way. That may not have been wise but I didn’t have much choice. This was a long wait. I hope it goes well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, sugarsugar said:

Ok tomorrow is my video appointment. I had to fill out some sort of agreement plus the uaual depression screen which seems standard. Plus two communications from the HMO about video appointments. OK, I’m ready. It’s probably going to be some sort of intake interview and I’ll find out how often I’m allowed/expected to see her. My past experience was that monthly was the norm, which seems odd, so I won’t be surprised if that’s still the norm. I need to ask how she will work with my pdoc. I’m fitting this in my work day so hope it won’t get emotional in any way. That may not have been wise but I didn’t have much choice. This was a long wait. I hope it goes well. 

Good luck, keep us posted. I finally sort of "quit" therapy a year ago, had moved around a lot and had had a string of bad therapists (i was beginning to feel worse) Needless to say, I have very low expectations, and despite feeling bad, I can't get myself to start looking again and start over. Hope all goes well for you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Visit accomplished. Although I liked her, not totally sure how she can help. She asked how she can help me, I told her what’s happening, and she didn’t seem to sound like that’s what she was expecting. However her next opening is 2 months off. Not sure that can be very effective since today was more a meet and greet intake thing and I didn’t remember any of my questions at all. Not sure what pdoc had in mind exactly. Guess I won’t sit around waiting for therapy help. Just don’t know. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, two months is a long damn time! Glad the visit went okay, though. It might be worth a call to your pdoc to let him know how long it will be before you can start so he can either recommend someone else, or call the tdoc you just saw and see if he can get you bumped up on the schedule. He's probably not aware how long her wait list is.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...