CrazyBoards.org

I haven’t seen a therapist in over 5 years, I really forget when. She relocated to another state and I saw another a couple times only, then just quit. Have been fine with that. I’ve felt ok. This week my pdoc said he thought I could feel/do better, and I needed help with the recent worsening of things, would I consider a med change and seeing a therapist. He has one in mind for my type issues and that’s all I know. I agreed to see the therapist and will consider new meds. Honestly, I felt so bad for so long, but have been much better for some time now. It didn’t occur to me that feeling better was an option. 

The plan is goal directed therapy towards getting back to a routine, de hoarding, and who knows what else. Guess I’ll find out. Anyone go years without therapy then start again?  I don’t know what to think or expect. All I know is this person is recommended and is in the HMO. What the heck. How can I trust a total stranger?  Worse, the appointment is a month off. I hate waiting. This is a definite unexpected plan. 

On 6/26/2020 at 11:08 PM, sugarsugar said:

The plan is goal directed therapy towards getting back to a routine, de hoarding, and who knows what else. Guess I’ll find out. Anyone go years without therapy then start again?  I don’t know what to think or expect. All I know is this person is recommended and is in the HMO. What the heck. How can I trust a total stranger?  Worse, the appointment is a month off. I hate waiting. This is a definite unexpected plan. 

If your pdoc is personally recommending this new therapist, I would suggest at least going a few times, and get an idea of what they're like, what their plan is for you.......It can't hurt to at least try, IMO.....If you don't like the therapist for some reason, you can always stop going.

Just my 2 cents.

I will do that. It will be video. I’m in serious need of help right now so I feel I need to give this a chance. I did find a bio section on the website and she works especially with women, especially young women—I’m pretty much the older end of the spectrum so hope that’ll work. Also read pdoc bio. Interesting but not unexpected info. I’m hoping his recommendation is good, he did pick a good one before. I’ll try. I really want this to work. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sugarsugar said:

I will do that. It will be video. I’m in serious need of help right now so I feel I need to give this a chance. I did find a bio section on the website and she works especially with women, especially young women—I’m pretty much the older end of the spectrum so hope that’ll work. Also read pdoc bio. Interesting but not unexpected info. I’m hoping his recommendation is good, he did pick a good one before. I’ll try. I really want this to work. 

Agree with @CrazyRedhead . Your pdoc knows you and your situation very well, so I’d trust that the recommendation is well-informed and appropriate to your case 

I went for many years in between therapy, by my choice. I didn't realize the pdoc I started seeing when I moved here three years ago also does therapy, but it's worked out well. I first saw a therapist around 20 years ago, and she in turn sent me to my first pdoc. I wasn't crazy about the therapist, so I quit seeing her but kept on with the pdoc until I moved out of the area. 

At my next new location in 2000, I first got hooked up with a pdoc, and then found a tdoc. I saw the tdoc for about one year, and after I told him I was suicidal and the first words out of his mouth were, "I wonder if my liability insurance is okay", I left and never went back. That was about 18 years ago, so doing the math it works out to 15 years between therapists. I feel I get a lot more from a pdoc, and I have continuously been under the care of a pdoc since I saw my first one. (I move every few years for work.) 

I think the most important thing about my relationship with my current p/tdoc is that I can talk about suicide. There's very little I won't talk about with my closest friends, but suicide is the one subject I'll never discuss with them. They know I have a serious MI and have hung in there with me through some bad spots, and I'm sure they realize suicide is a possible ending, but it would be too painful for them to discuss. I like and respect my p/tdoc tremendously, and although I couldn't tell you exactly why my weekly appointments with him help, I'm sure they do. Whether I'll bother with a therapist when I move away from here is an unknown, as the one I've got now will be a hard act to follow.

I hope your tdoc turns out to be a keeper. 

Well my true tests would be being able to talk about sex, if that was an issue, and hoarder type stuff, which is an issue. Those are hard to be able to talk about for whatever reason. They aren’t possible to talk to friends about, either. What’s up with that?  My pdoc does no therapy but thinks this therapist, a MSW, would be a good fit. I’m hoping so.