CrazyBoards.org

I am really sad, mad, ashamed, upset, embarrassed to admit this but.....

I’ve gained 5 lbs. Officially. I feel disgusting. Absolutely fat and gross. I was doing so well before COVID. I was losing weight!

I know it’s from lack of activity/exercise. I sit on my butt all day. I don’t know what to do! I can’t seem to make myself do exercise at home!

I need the freaking gym which is open. Is it safe to go though? Probably not right? Thoughts on this anyone? Pretty please?

~ Fat Cheese

• Sad 1

I’m in the same boat. My personal opinion is that if proper precautions sre enforced, it should be as safe as other public endeavors. Everyone should wear a mask, and hand sanitize plus wipe down any equipment before using it. Keep your distance. If you have either a medical grade mask, or use a filter with a cloth one, probably even better. Then sanitizer as you leave. If all that took place, I personally would feel pretty comfortable, especially if they even asked screening questions as you enter. But comfort levels do vary so I guess, what else would help you?  Definitely check their protocol before you go. And be sure they (or you) have wipes, or spray plus paper towels, to clean things. I already use a cloth to touch door handles and all that. 

I should exercise, too, don’t know if it’ll happen. Gaining weight is demoralizing so I get that. 

4 hours ago, sugarsugar said:

I’m in the same boat. My personal opinion is that if proper precautions sre enforced, it should be as safe as other public endeavors. Everyone should wear a mask, and hand sanitize plus wipe down any equipment before using it. Keep your distance. If you have either a medical grade mask, or use a filter with a cloth one, probably even better. Then sanitizer as you leave. If all that took place, I personally would feel pretty comfortable, especially if they even asked screening questions as you enter. But comfort levels do vary so I guess, what else would help you?  Definitely check their protocol before you go. And be sure they (or you) have wipes, or spray plus paper towels, to clean things. I already use a cloth to touch door handles and all that. 

I should exercise, too, don’t know if it’ll happen. Gaining weight is demoralizing so I get that. 

Thanks so much for your reply and kind words. I’m sorry you are in the same boat. It really sucks.

The gym I go to is well, pretty cheapo. It’s very inexpensive per month and I am sure most people wont be wearing masks. And many people didn’t even wipe machines when I went there before COVID. ugh. I doubt the gym enforces much. I saw nothing of this on their website. Which was dismaying. :( I don’t feel safe going to my gym honestly.

Can you take a walk or go for a run in your neighbourhood Cheese?

(I don't belong to a gym, have stuff at home and run, but I would not want to wear a mask while exercising)

Well if they won’t take precautions—that’s not good. How about home stuff?  Years ago when I was low budget I used to jump rope, just found the rope again recently, and some sort of resistance bands. These things for home use come and go. Taking a brisk walk might be good, personally I can’t comfortably be that far walking around but that’s my problem, most people probably can be out more. It’s hard to figure out this weight thing any time, this is all just messing with me. Do you by chance own a bike?  I had a friend who got some device to make hers act as an exercise bike. Is that still a thing?  Also do you have stairs?  Brisk walking up and down can be pretty strenuous and was suggested to me, too. Got to be creative plus motivated these days apparently. 

I found a trail I like and go for long walks, is that an option for you? I've gained weight too.

When confinement started, i was doing a bit of running (which I hate) and workout videos at home. I've since stopped the last 2 months and have suddenly gained weight (not sure how many pounds, but getting that flabby roll around my entire waist and butt is getting bigger). What's most depressing to me is not the number on the scale, but my clothes not fitting. The weather is so nice & I have a closet of cute summer stuff, dresses that I haven't worn in like 2 years (not like I have any night-out occasion to wear them). My bras & jeans are too tight & uncomfortable. So I wear pjs all day, or my only pair of loose jeans and feel like a bum.

I've been fortunate to be thin my entire life (was an athlete up until college), now hitting mid-40s, my metabolism is slowing down. (Admittedly, I've been drinking more with my husband during this lockdown and that means instant weight gain) I've lost all motivation to get off my butt and stop drinking. Only thing i can get up to is daily walks. I barely hit 10,000 steps though, and I know it's not enough to get fit again. I wish the gym would open!

On 6/27/2020 at 5:20 PM, jarn said:

Can you take a walk or go for a run in your neighbourhood Cheese?

(I don't belong to a gym, have stuff at home and run, but I would not want to wear a mask while exercising)

Thanks jarn. I want to but I had being outdoors. I’m nervous of other people. I don’t trust them. And it’s been like 90 degrees here lately every day. I know. Excuses excuses. I’m sorry. I really really want to try this though. I’ll try to be brave. There is a large walking path not terribly far from my home. I could walk there. I sunburn easily but hopefully sunscreen would prevent that. 

On 6/27/2020 at 5:35 PM, sugarsugar said:

Well if they won’t take precautions—that’s not good. How about home stuff?  Years ago when I was low budget I used to jump rope, just found the rope again recently, and some sort of resistance bands. These things for home use come and go. Taking a brisk walk might be good, personally I can’t comfortably be that far walking around but that’s my problem, most people probably can be out more. It’s hard to figure out this weight thing any time, this is all just messing with me. Do you by chance own a bike?  I had a friend who got some device to make hers act as an exercise bike. Is that still a thing?  Also do you have stairs?  Brisk walking up and down can be pretty strenuous and was suggested to me, too. Got to be creative plus motivated these days apparently. 

I will have to investigate some cheaper home equipment. I never thought of these things. Thanks for the ideas. They are good ones. I don’t own a bike. I really want a used treadmill or elliptical but I don’t think we have room nor the budget for one.

And so true. You have to be creative and motivated these days. It is tough. 

On 6/27/2020 at 5:43 PM, Juniper29 said:

I found a trail I like and go for long walks, is that an option for you? I've gained weight too.

Thanks juniper. There is a walking path semi near me that I could walk to. I have used it before because I used to live closer to it. It’s definitely an option. I hate being outdoors but I really think I need to try this because I need to do something and this might be my best bet. 

Apparently exercise equipment is frequently discarded so consider checking any freeshare or place for used stuff if you think you might have room. I used to have things that folded up, wouldn’t have room for unfolding them in my current home however. Actually the stair thing might help—I used to have coworkers who did stairs as their workout. And for walking, I can’t go far from home so when I have walked, I went around the same block again and again to stay close. I don’t trust people or stray dogs or chickens. I’m really in the same dilemma it seems. 

6 hours ago, Blahblah said:

When confinement started, i was doing a bit of running (which I hate) and workout videos at home. I've since stopped the last 2 months and have suddenly gained weight (not sure how many pounds, but getting that flabby roll around my entire waist and butt is getting bigger). What's most depressing to me is not the number on the scale, but my clothes not fitting. The weather is so nice & I have a closet of cute summer stuff, dresses that I haven't worn in like 2 years (not like I have any night-out occasion to wear them). My bras & jeans are too tight & uncomfortable. So I wear pjs all day, or my only pair of loose jeans and feel like a bum.

I've been fortunate to be thin my entire life (was an athlete up until college), now hitting mid-40s, my metabolism is slowing down. (Admittedly, I've been drinking more with my husband during this lockdown and that means instant weight gain) I've lost all motivation to get off my butt and stop drinking. Only thing i can get up to is daily walks. I barely hit 10,000 steps though, and I know it's not enough to get fit again. I wish the gym would open!

I hear you. Thanks for the reply. I’ve stopped for about 3 months probably. Ugh. My clothes are fitting pretty ok but I don’t look as good in them I feel. If that makes any sense? I definitely look more flabby I feel. Ugh. 

33 minutes ago, sugarsugar said:

Apparently exercise equipment is frequently discarded so consider checking any freeshare or place for used stuff if you think you might have room. I used to have things that folded up, wouldn’t have room for unfolding them in my current home however. Actually the stair thing might help—I used to have coworkers who did stairs as their workout. And for walking, I can’t go far from home so when I have walked, I went around the same block again and again to stay close. I don’t trust people or stray dogs or chickens. I’m really in the same dilemma it seems. 

I’m sorry you are in the same dilemma. :( It is tough right now for sure.

The problem with a used treadmill is getting it here (husband’s back isn’t very good) and then room to store it and if I would stop using that too! Who knows! Ugh.

I would feel safer walking close to home too. I understand.

We do have stairs. You know, I may have to try that. It couldn’t hurt. Now the motivation piece has to come into place. Which is another battle. But stairs would be good cardio. You are right to suggest them. That’s a good option. Thanks again so very much. 

I'm with you bby.  I've gained since quarantine started and I was already overweight to begin with.  I don't like looking at myself in the mirror, and it's harder to bathe because in order to do so I have to get naked and look at my body and what I'm slowly turning into.  In an effort to combat this, I'm trying to do what I can to reduce my portion sizes and not eat as much during the day, but I know that reduction in calories alone won't do the job for me.  (I still have PCOS despite having had a hysterectomy, because my busted-ass ovaries are still there and still generating androgens.)

Maybe commit to 10 or 15 minutes of strenuous activity per day?  I'll do it with you. ❤️

• Thanks 1

On 6/30/2020 at 2:32 AM, Bad Haiku said:

I'm with you bby.  I've gained since quarantine started and I was already overweight to begin with.  I don't like looking at myself in the mirror, and it's harder to bathe because in order to do so I have to get naked and look at my body and what I'm slowly turning into.  In an effort to combat this, I'm trying to do what I can to reduce my portion sizes and not eat as much during the day, but I know that reduction in calories alone won't do the job for me.  (I still have PCOS despite having had a hysterectomy, because my busted-ass ovaries are still there and still generating androgens.)

Maybe commit to 10 or 15 minutes of strenuous activity per day?  I'll do it with you. ❤️

I love this. Perfect idea. Thank you so much. 

• Like 1

I have a question. What do y’all do when it’s hot as fuck out? My primary exercise comes from walking the dog, but when it’s 90F or more I don’t do it. I don’t think it’s good for her. Or me. All her shiny black fur...at least I can shave my legs.

Whether it’s really unsafe or not (I heed the excessive heat warnings, certainly), from a sensory standpoint being that hot, and particularly the feeling of sweat on my face, is intolerable to me. 

It's been mid-30s before humidity here the last few days (C) and I've tried to go out early in the morning to run.  Of course, zyprexa does not help that plan.  But I managed to run at 7:40 this morning.

Now, it rarely gets that hot here, but I avoid the dogs being out in heat. The hot pavement can burn their poor paw pads, plus my black dog suffers more in heat. Also my dogs breed is inclined to heatstroke so I really get careful. I don’t have AC so they have fans for their dog beds. So I avoid the mask while dogwalking dilemma if it does get much  over 80 by staying home. Of course mask or no mask I would. 

But masks in sweaty heat?  I’ve done it. Not fun. I suspect it’ll be a problem for many this summer. I’ve just suffered. 

2 hours ago, Gearhead said:

I have a question. What do y’all do when it’s hot as fuck out? My primary exercise comes from walking the dog, but when it’s 90F or more I don’t do it. I don’t think it’s good for her. Or me. All her shiny black fur...at least I can shave my legs.

I don't have a choice because I have to get out and walk to avoid cabin fever and to try to move the needle on the depression.  It's hot as fuck for about 8 months a year here.  The gym is out due to covid.  The dog went about a block on his last try and looked at me and said "take me home."  So I walk alone.