CrazyBoards.org

headaches are back!

My headaches are back with a vengeance. I have been on Verapamil ER since August of 2005 at 120 mg per day. It was a last resort med for my neurologist and it was working wonderfully until about two weeks ago. Now, besides the constant pain in the back of my head, it hurts on the top of my head and I have mild sensitivity to light and sound--only really bright lights and loud noises above a normal talking level. My neurologist can increase the Verapamil to 240 mg a day but other than that, we are out of options pretty much. The only meds left to try that she is comfortable with are Depakote and Tegretol. I DON'T WANT TO TAKE DEPAKOTE! Triptans don't work, pain killers don't help. I can't take Topamax because both times I have been on it, I have gotten a UTI that lasted for over a month and kidney stones. Since I am diabetic, I don't need anything that is going to mess up my kidneys.

Any thoughts on what I can bring up at the next visit?

Heya she,

Why don't you want to take Epival?

And, what about Tegretol?

Anticonvulsants are for sure a *reasonable* choice at least.

I see you're on verapamil.

Have you been/are you on a beta-blocker?

--ncc--

I don't want to take Depakote because of the weight gain side effects.

I am going to ask about Tegretol and Trileptal. I would prefer Trileptal though.

I can't take beta blockers because of my asthma. My neurologist would have tried that already if I could take them. My mom takes Toprol XL for her migraines, which is a beta blocker. I just can't take them.

Heya she,

Okay fair enough.

Learning all you can about s/e is important.

What about metoprolol, or another cardioselective B-blocker?

*Tegretol* is I think a worthwhile choice at this point.

But I wouldn't discount Epival/Depakote ...

... *If* the headaches are otherwise intractable.

In other words, current pain vs. possible weight gain.

Be well.

--ncc--

SIM:

Have you tried Wellbutrin? I take 300 mg/day and topamax (which I see you can't take) for migraine prevention. I'm also taking effexor and trazodone as you are. I'm lucky enough to be able to take Imitrex---I also take fioricet for migraine pain relief.

Take care,

dianebea

I take fioricet for pain relief, but it takes 3 to make the pain subside and even then it only lasts a couple hours. I haven't tried Wellbutrin, but I am already on a high dose of Effexor and I don't want anything else that may make me anxious. I've tried Wellbutrin before and it added to my anxiety.

just to chime in here, i'd say try the larger dose of verapamil before switching to something new. i only got relief from it at 240 mg. there's a dose bigger than that, but i can't remember what it is offhand.

the only thing that was a problem for me was that it triggered lactation (i was taking it with risperdal, so it was a combination problem).

jen

Archived