CrazyBoards.org
JustGotOut

How did you successfully lose weight?

I'm interested in any story either yours personally or someone you know who was able to lose weight on these meds. Thanks.

I went through a period where I lost weight despite being on Lamical, Wellbutrin, and Abilify, but it was pretty straightforward.  I went to the gym every day, did a combination of cardio and weight training, and I dropped easily about 50 lbs in about six months.

Unfortunately I lost the gumption and the drive to continue going at some point and regained it all back and some.  I wish I had a better ending for you.  At least, this way, I know it's possible and that I'm capable of doing it, even if I can't make myself do it right now.

Maybe I'll try again soon.

Posted (edited)

I did not gain on Zyprexa (I lost a little even) but it was a real battle not to. I had to eat really small portions of filling food throughout the day to fight the hunger. Usually I stuck with a few nuts or a small piece of cheese or a high protein yogurt. I needed to eat just enough to counteract that urge to eat and make it go away for a little while. I also went running regularly.

Food was always on my mind though. It was a battle of willpower every night to eat a normal portion of dinner and not help myself to seconds. 

I guess in short, it’s not easy, but it’s possible. 

Edited by saintalto

I take zyprexa and when I started I was OBSESSED with food - I woke up hungry, went to sleep hungry, ran hungry, had all consuming hunger.  

My pdoc prescribed metformin for that and it immediately helped.  I have completely normal hunger now.  

Though, I am having trouble losing weight.  Trying to focus on whole foods.

I am hoping as well as zyprexa so often causes diabetes that being on metformin will help prevent this?  But that's just something I've thought of, nobody has told me this.

4 hours ago, jarn said:

I take zyprexa and when I started I was OBSESSED with food - I woke up hungry, went to sleep hungry, ran hungry, had all consuming hunger.  

My pdoc prescribed metformin for that and it immediately helped.  I have completely normal hunger now.  

Though, I am having trouble losing weight.  Trying to focus on whole foods.

I am hoping as well as zyprexa so often causes diabetes that being on metformin will help prevent this?  But that's just something I've thought of, nobody has told me this.

it could. At least, I had a pdoc who often just prescribed them together at the start to buffer the metabolic concerns

• Like 1