CrazyBoards.org

Blahblah

Early Arthritis? Inflammation? Aging sucks

Posted (edited)

I've had sudden stiffness & pain in my finger joints the last 1-2 weeks. Particularly when I wake up in the morning or when I try to grip something. I also noticed sort of a hard "nodule" on base of my thumb joint (like near the webbing) that is painful to press (or when i extend my thumb). Of course, I started googling arthritis, trigger thumb, bone spurs, Gout, and ended up on "giant cell tumor of tendon sheath" (but it feels hard, not soft)

Went to my GP and can't get in for xray for 3 weeks.

Anyone experience something similar? Or Arthritis? What age did it start? I'm 43, and the doc told me I'm too young for arthritis, not sure what else it could be.

Edited by Blahblah

Posted (edited)
On 7/3/2020 at 3:19 AM, Blahblah said:

I'm 43, and the doc told me I'm too young for arthritis, not sure what else it could be.

With all due respect for your doc, 43 is not too young for osteoarthritis (OA)......Although the majority of people will be diagnosed at an older age (50's or 60's), it can be diagnosed in people in their 40s.

http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/health/health-concerns/what-its-like-to-be-diagnosed-with-osteoarthritis-in-your-40s-11364195232597

There is also another type of arthritis called rheumatoid arthritis (RA).....RA is an autoimmune disease, in which the body's immune system affects the joints........The average age of onset is reportedly between ages 30-60, but even younger folks have been diagnosed.

https://www.healthline.com/health/rheumatoid-arthritis-symptoms-women#age

The x-rays will provide more info....

Just to add, I was diagnosed with OA  in my late 40's.........

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Posted (edited)

Thanks @CrazyRedhead  What sort of symptoms do you have and do they just give you anti-inflammatory drugs? I hate to start on those... I already eat a pretty healthy balanced diet, but maybe there are certain foods I can cut out? Is it a myth that daily apple cider vinegar helps?

Also, you hear about "flares" of pain...Will inflammation always show up on scan (even if you aren't experiencing pain or a flare up at that moment?)

Edited by Blahblah

Posted (edited)
On 7/6/2020 at 5:54 AM, Blahblah said:

Thanks @CrazyRedhead  What sort of symptoms do you have and do they just give you anti-inflammatory drugs? I hate to start on those... I already eat a pretty healthy balanced diet, but maybe there are certain foods I can cut out? Is it a myth that daily apple cider vinegar helps?

Also, you hear about "flares" of pain...Will inflammation always show up on scan (even if you aren't experiencing pain or a flare up at that moment?)

The OA mainly affects my knees.....I have mild knee pain now, but I also have "knee crepitus", which means a popping or crackling sound when I bend my knees...........Eventually I might need knee replacement surgery in the future, but it's really mild now.

My doc told me just to take Tylenol or an NSAID if it bothers me too much, so I just take as needed, maybe 1-2x a week.

I don't know if inflammation shows on an x-ray.....The way OA usually shows up on an x-ray, is that cartilage loss is revealed by a narrowing of the space between the bones in your joint.......This is how OA showed up when doc did x-rays on both my knees.

Some folks with OA claim that apple cider vinegar helped them, but it didn't do much for me.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Posted (edited)

I have OA in both my big toes - I stretch them to help maintain mobility.  But I still have pain.  I wear specific shoes while running and have been told I should wear them walking too.  It sucks!

Oh and I am 41, have been trending this way since my 30s.

Edited by jarn

I’ve had trigger thumb... I say “had” because it’s disappeared. Very weird, it’s like my thumb would dislocate at the base joint, I would have to pop it back in. NSAIDs helped tremendously, basically ibuprofen. 

I’m not saying this is a cure, but I really increased fresh ginger in my diet, and I take CoQ10 daily, and the trigger thumb hasn’t come back, it’s been a year and a half maybe?