Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Recommended Posts

Can somebody please explain what "Acute Psychotic features" Means and which conditions is normally associated with...I was going through my mental health notes (In the uk you are allowed to request them) and came across a note by a Pdoc that said "Evidence of acute psychotic features"..Now i've always been diagnosed along the anxiety spectrum OCD/OCPD and Mixed anxiety/depression so wondered about that in my notes..Granted when my OCD is severe or my depression is quite bad my thoughts do tend to get a bizzare element to them however i always thought "Psychotic Features" is more along the lines of Schizophrenia/bipolar disorder..The only thing i can think of is maybe its linked to my OCD when it gets pretty bad and the line between Obsession/Delusion becomes quite blurry...Anyone help me out ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As of the DSM-5, major depressive disorder can be diagnosed as "single episode" or "recurrent," both "with psychotic features" (it's the worst/most severe form of MDD). So "psychotic depression" is a possibility, both in unipolar and bipolar depression. Happens to me rather often, actually (as a bipolar type 2, which is odd because you're not supposed to be psychotic at any point in bipolar type 2, but my pdoc still leans towards type 2).

"Acute" psychotic features just means that they're either short-lived, i believe. Someone else with more knowledge on this might chime in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, mikl_pls said:

As of the DSM-5, major depressive disorder can be diagnosed as "single episode" or "recurrent

I was told my depression was recurrent...The Paranoia/Bizarre thoughts do tend to be at there worst when i'm severely depressed..Although i always have a undercurrent of depression that lurks below the surface which i would describe as Atypical my last severe episode was about 5/6 years ago..That was a horrible experience which lasted about 8 month..Mainly through my own doing as i was refusing anti psychotic medication..It was that episode were i was getting bizarre thoughts that the terminator was looking for me..I also felt like i could feel presences in the room and would leave the light on the in the bedroom as i was scared of the dark..Lots of horrible bizarre symptoms on top of a already debilitating depression...As strange as the thoughts were there was a part of me that had a grasp on reality it was just the overall overpowering nature of the thoughts/feelings that were terrifying..Even when things started to get better months later it still frightend me knowing that my brain is capable of taking me to those kind of places..I'd say i'm depressed now...More mild depression.Its always there..I've come to accept that it will always play some role in my life..I dont mean that in a defeated sense..More a come to terms sense..I'm still struggling with taking antipsychotic medication..I've stopped beating myself up over it..I've just told myself if i take it i take it if i dont well i dont..That seems to make things seem easier as i'm sick of feeling guilty over it although my goal is to take it...Anyways thanks for the imput and i hope things are a little brighter at your end..Take care pal

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, GrannyG81 said:

I was told my depression was recurrent...The Paranoia/Bizarre thoughts do tend to be at there worst when i'm severely depressed..Although i always have a undercurrent of depression that lurks below the surface which i would describe as Atypical my last severe episode was about 5/6 years ago..That was a horrible experience which lasted about 8 month..Mainly through my own doing as i was refusing anti psychotic medication..It was that episode were i was getting bizarre thoughts that the terminator was looking for me..I also felt like i could feel presences in the room and would leave the light on the in the bedroom as i was scared of the dark..Lots of horrible bizarre symptoms on top of a already debilitating depression...As strange as the thoughts were there was a part of me that had a grasp on reality it was just the overall overpowering nature of the thoughts/feelings that were terrifying..Even when things started to get better months later it still frightend me knowing that my brain is capable of taking me to those kind of places..I'd say i'm depressed now...More mild depression.Its always there..I've come to accept that it will always play some role in my life..I dont mean that in a defeated sense..More a come to terms sense..I'm still struggling with taking antipsychotic medication..I've stopped beating myself up over it..I've just told myself if i take it i take it if i dont well i dont..That seems to make things seem easier as i'm sick of feeling guilty over it although my goal is to take it...Anyways thanks for the imput and i hope things are a little brighter at your end..Take care pal

Those things you described could definitely count as psychosis, acute meaning severe and rapid-onset. As opposed to chronic, which would mean they have been constantly present over a long time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Iceberg said:

acute meaning severe and rapid-onset. As opposed to chronic, which would mean they have been constantly present over a long time. 

Thank you so much for clarifying this! I have just always thought it meant short-term, but I knew there was another meaning for this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Iceberg said:

Those things you described could definitely count as psychosis,

Its the only reference to any kind of Psychosis in my notes...It says something about getting messeges from god..Now from what my memory serves i told the psychiatrist i thought i was getting messeges from the universe..Now that in itself to me is not Psychotic as such as i do like buddhist beliefs and i do believe that we get messeges from the universe..Or signs..Thats just my own personal beliefs i no not everyone shares it...However i was pretty ill back then so maybe how i was phrasing things to the psyche may of looked psychotic?? I remember when i was diagnosed with personality disorder (OCPD) I asked the psyche at the time if its possible i could have some Cluster A PD traits and he said its possible..Maybe thats were some my paranoia/Bizzare thoughts come from..I've always thought that because i had some degree of insight and didnt 100% believe the thoughts that it wouldnt classify as psychotic..I know they do get quite bizzare...Its like they have delusional content but they dont have delusional intensity if that makes sense?? I know that OCD also has a insight factor so when mine gets quite bad it could be that my insight gets quite bad??

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...