CrazyBoards.org

Not sure if the mods will want to move this to the anxiety board, but I thought I’d try here first because it’s covid related. I’m curious if anyone else has experienced a general spike in their anxiety on top of specific Covid anxiety. Increasingly, I am paralyzed by even small things, decisions that probably aren’t life or death, emails I have to deal with, just getting through the day stuff. I do have a GAD diagnosis, and the Vraylar has not been good for my anxiety in general, but after a couple of months of kind of getting used to Covid fears they’ve amped up again as things have opened up here and cases have flared way up in other parts of the US. So my Covid anxiety is way up, but my general anxiety about big and small things is completely out of control too, and paralyzing. I’m curious if other people have experienced this increase in anxiety generally. I don’t know if this is a dumb question, and I could agonize about it for a while like I do but will probably just post it.  Suggestions for how you are coping with anxiety in these times also welcome. I do take klonopin,  but it makes me sleepy so I try to avoid it during the day unless I’m really spinning out.

yeah, covid's hitting my anxiety too. i also have a GAD dx, along with my obsessive stuff. social distancing has caused me to feel more isolated, which means that i ruminate more. i've been especially paralyzed about what my future is going to look like, which my tdoc suggests is a reaction to all the uncertainty that covid has brought about. covid in general has made me feel less secure, which has been coming out in various meltdowns about what am i going to do with my life, my degree is useless, i'm a failure, etc etc. so yeah, covid has made me more readily anxious about the general workings of my life.

On 7/8/2020 at 7:38 PM, echolocation said:

yeah, covid's hitting my anxiety too. i also have a GAD dx, along with my obsessive stuff. social distancing has caused me to feel more isolated, which means that i ruminate more. i've been especially paralyzed about what my future is going to look like, which my tdoc suggests is a reaction to all the uncertainty that covid has brought about. covid in general has made me feel less secure, which has been coming out in various meltdowns about what am i going to do with my life, my degree is useless, i'm a failure, etc etc. so yeah, covid has made me more readily anxious about the general workings of my life.

it makes sense that the general uncertainty of the world would increase your uncertainty about your future. I have some of that, but also increased anxiety about other stuff. Like my house is going to catch on fire, or what if my husband has cancer. All kinds of stuff. But like you, Covid has in general made me feel less secure, and that has led to not only anxiety but paranoia.

I'm normally an anxiety ridden mess when it's "pre-pandemic" times.  Throw COVID in the mix and my anxiety is even more over the top than normal. I've been finding that things that normally wouldn't make me more than a little bit anxious (for example, being a couple minutes late to meet a friend or not being able to find a particular item on my grocery list) can send me into an "anxiety spiral" where everything just goes downhill and I'm teetering on the edge of a panic attack.

Since most of my go-to methods for anxiety/stress relief are a no-go right now (my county has had a huge uptick in cases and has had to go back under tighter restrictions), I'm having to do a lot more walking around or playing puzzle games to cope. I'm trying to manage everything that I physically can manage (keeping a tighter hold on financial purchases, limiting where I go and who I see)

2 hours ago, chem said:

I'm normally an anxiety ridden mess when it's "pre-pandemic" times.  Throw COVID in the mix and my anxiety is even more over the top than normal. I've been finding that things that normally wouldn't make me more than a little bit anxious (for example, being a couple minutes late to meet a friend or not being able to find a particular item on my grocery list) can send me into an "anxiety spiral" where everything just goes downhill and I'm teetering on the edge of a panic attack.

Since most of my go-to methods for anxiety/stress relief are a no-go right now (my county has had a huge uptick in cases and has had to go back under tighter restrictions), I'm having to do a lot more walking around or playing puzzle games to cope. I'm trying to manage everything that I physically can manage (keeping a tighter hold on financial purchases, limiting where I go and who I see)

Yes! That’s how it’s going for me too. I do guided meditations a lot, like several times a day, which sometimes helps for a short while then the anxiety comes barreling back. I should try games.

"Raise the Klonopin" the pdoc said giving me a 3mg/day limit plus up to 6 ativans a day. Call if I need more. I Usually take 1 mg/day of Klonopin and have for years. So worst case I take enough Klonopin so I don't care. When I had a flesh eating infection pdoc allowed me to take as much Klonopin and Ativan I wanted. I would not of made it through this infection, it was life threatening, w/o benzos. Take enough and you don't care.I had no trouble going back to 1 mg/day when the danger was over. 

38 minutes ago, notloki said:

"Raise the Klonopin" the pdoc said giving me a 3mg/day limit plus up to 6 ativans a day. Call if I need more. I Usually take 1 mg/day of Klonopin and have for years. So worst case I take enough Klonopin so I don't care. When I had a flesh eating infection pdoc allowed me to take as much Klonopin and Ativan I wanted. I would not of made it through this infection, it was life threatening, w/o benzos. Take enough and you don't care.I had no trouble going back to 1 mg/day when the danger was over. 

I am taking about 3mg of Ativan daily right now, which is a larger amount of benzo than I have historically taken daily, and I have only rarely dosed with a benzo regularly. But that's a big part of what's getting me through right now. Good to know you didn't have trouble returning to your regular dose after the infection.

Edited by Unstrung Harp
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Unstrung Harp said:

I am taking about 3mg of Ativan daily right now, which is a larger amount of benzo than I have historically taken daily, and I have only rarely dosed with a benzo regularly. But that's a big part of what's getting me through right now. Good to know you didn't have trouble returning to your regular dose after the infection.

I also had no issue returning to a smaller dose after a rough period increase. Before we got me off of my million effective meds and onto clozaril, my Brain went to fuck, as this coincided with starting college. I was on 4 mg klonipin/day for awhile but eventually worked back to PRN with no issue 

This has been my experience with benzos, too. I get tolerant to some point but never need to raise the dose to counter tolerance when I'm at baseline. I'm not on an ever escalating dose. Circumstances in real life changing are the reason for a change.