CrazyBoards.org
saintalto

How you think? Visual or Verbal?

How do you process your thoughts? Do you have an inner dialogue going or do you think in pictures?

A friend of mine said she knew a person who thought in writing. Maybe you think that way. I’m curious if you’re willing to share?

I recently discovered, when discussing it with my husband, that most people think with a verbal dialogue of what they’re doing or intend to do. He thinks verbally like that. I have no inner voice nor have I ever had one. I think in pictures and approach problems in a visual manner. My husband participated in a large poll about mode of thinking and I found out most people have inner dialogue and think verbally. It never struck me that people could think that way because I have never experienced it. Evidently, if the poll is right, most people think that way.

• Like 1

I think in words, but I also have a spatial deficit relative to my verbal acuity according to IQ tests, to a degree I’m told is unusual, so I don’t know how that factors into it. Writing and talking things out also help me crystallize my thoughts. I’m not sure if that’s what your friend means by thinking in writing.

4 minutes ago, Unstrung Harp said:

I think in words, but I also have a spatial deficit relative to my verbal acuity according to IQ tests, to a degree I’m told is unusual, so I don’t know how that factors into it. Writing and talking things out also help me crystallize my thoughts. I’m not sure if that’s what your friend means by thinking in writing.

She said to me that the person thought in writing. She saw it in her head.

What does a spacial deficit mean? 

6 minutes ago, saintalto said:

She said to me that the person thought in writing. She saw it in her head.

What does a spacial deficit mean? 

That’s interesting about the writing. Sorry I meant spatial. Practically speaking it means I can’t very easily put things together even with instructions, or see how things physically fit together, or manipulate patterns, or find things that are right in front of me. If there are two really similar objects in front of me I have trouble differentiating them without concentrating really hard. I’m definitely way more verbally oriented than visually. 

I think in dialogue.  Sometimes images.

Sometimes I attach too much emotion to my words and thoughts which can be hard.

I sometimes just think in static fuzz.

Words. Straight words, start to finish. I don’t see text in my head, but I can’t even excuse myself to the bathroom without some chatty layer in my brain announcing that that’s what I’m doing. Not aloud. To myself.

I also have some spatial deficits, and I am incredibly bad at “picturing things” in my head, but I find that I can mostly ameliorate those issues by thinking very well with my hands. My hands are never still, and I can figure out how things go together and how to make things that are new by physically doing it.

I write, both creatively and for things like CB and other non-profits, so more technical writing, and as far back as I can remember I’ve gotten these sudden obsessions with words that either manifest themselves as the same thing written over and over in the margins of my notebook, or, when needed, traced again and again on my thigh with the tip of my finger. I’m pretty sure it’s some form of echolalia. Right after I started taking lamotrigine, the habit almost disappeared. I didn’t notice for a while that it had gone, and I miss it.

Posted (edited)

i have an inner voice. sounds like my own voice, and it dictates all of my thoughts and actions. i talk to myself quite a lot in my head. i can think in pictures, but it's less natural to me than verbal thinking.

i used to write a lot of fiction as a kid/teen, but i fell out of the habit in university. i sometimes pick up an old fragment of a story and add onto it, but not with the ferocity i had in high school. i consider my writing ability to be strong. i draw and stuff too, but it's hard for me to work from images in my head. i need references.

Edited by echolocation
added second paragraph

Visual. I have color-grapheme synaesthesia so all words and numbers have colors for me. 

I don't really know.  I don't really think a lot consciously, but I think that I actually do because I remember to do things like take out the trash and do it without noticing thinking about it.  I have a constant music stream in my mind, which is usually relevant to me in some way, but I don't consciously choose it, and it somewhat affects my perception.  I verbally think about what I am typing.  Sometimes I talk aloud semi-involuntarily, and I wonder if it is because I have a lot of trouble verbalizing internally.  The thoughts that pop into my head are usually images.  I was somewhat shocked when I discovered that a lot of people don't think in images.  I think that means both?

This is an interesting question. I think with words as well as pictures but cannot determine in what ratio.

On 7/8/2020 at 7:04 PM, saintalto said:

I have no inner voice nor have I ever had one.

That is interesting. I'm very much a verbal thinker and have a voice in my head which won't shut up. It's also how I experience depression, with that voice telling me all sorts of miserable shit. Trying to deal with depression has usually involved trying to get that voice to shut the fuck up. I think most people do have an inner voice, though I have heard other people say that they don't. I wonder how depression is experienced visually? Same shit different medium I suppose.

I have a pretty non-stop inner chatter like a lot have mentioned, but I experience memory visually.  Like I plan for the future in words but experience the past in pictures.  Emotions can show up as colors sometimes.

For some reason this discussion reminded me of a book I read that talks about brain development and how the right side that thinks in images and sensation develops before the left, more verbal side.  That is one reason processing childhood trauma is so challenging - because we try to process it verbally but it's encoded viscerally and visually in pre-verbal memory.  Now I want to pull that book off the shelf and read it again....

both, both of them 100% of the time maybe? though the picture thoughts might not match the word thoughts. And i tend to visualize words in my head, so i often read in dreams

Spatial reasoning is a category of reasoning skills that refers to the capacity to think about objects in three dimensions and to draw conclusions about those objects from limited information. Someone with good spatial abilities might also be good at thinking about how an object will look when rotated.

I can't read maps. I can't rotate an object in my mind then answer questions  It is most likely am taking the longest possible route to get anywhere. I'm always surprised and embarrassed when someone shows me a muck quicker route .

I have significant deficits in Spatial Reasoning , several tests have proven that.