CrazyBoards.org

A psychiatrist that I used to go to years ago said I was probably a poor metabolizer of several drugs.  I think he mostly meant the antipsychotics that had large effects and larger side effects at smaller doses. I wondered if anyone known what it means more concretely for selection and dosage of drugs, if possible, because he did not mention the enzyme.

Edited by Banana Smurf

From what I've read about genetic testing for this stuff, it seems like it's both really specific for particular drugs (not necessarily classes), and generally means that you're more likely to have a poor or no response to those drugs, not that you'd need a higher dose. FWIW.

19 minutes ago, 0112358 said:

From what I've read about genetic testing for this stuff, it seems like it's both really specific for particular drugs (not necessarily classes), and generally means that you're more likely to have a poor or no response to those drugs, not that you'd need a higher dose. FWIW.

I read a list of common drugs and their metabolic pathways, and most of the drugs that make me sick are listed under CYP2D6.  I've pretty much failed most of the APs listed so I won't worry about it.  I am just worrying because I feel super crazy and I was wondering if the Latuda was going to be less effective and I was going to have to go on another one, but someone told me that I'm less crazy, just more aware of it, so I guess it just needs more time.