CrazyBoards.org

To have PTSD do I need to have had a major traumatic event, or could it be more like a chain of moderately traumatic events?

I think I'm minimizing how traumatic my past has really been. I also posted this on my blog for more specific info.

13 minutes ago, aura said:

To have PTSD do I need to have had a major traumatic event, or could it be more like a chain of moderately traumatic events?

I think I'm minimizing how traumatic my past has really been. I also posted this on my blog for more specific info.

I know someone with a ptsd Dx from a situation that was ongoing in her past but didn’t necessarily have one defining event within that situation

Hopping over from your blog-

TBH your tdoc needs to go back to school. I think the causes of trauma is wildly misunderstood by a lot of the psychological community. I had a similar experience, I was in a bad relationship but because it was only emotionally abusive it didn't count (ugh).

From my entirely amateur perspective, any one of the examples you mentioned would be traumatic. I don't know if it will help, but I have some resources if you want to investigate further: 

None of us can really tell you whether you have PTSD/trauma of some kind (including me!), but it might be worth bringing it up again with your tdoc. Perhaps you can do trauma work without an official Dx. PTSD isn't an exclusive members-only club, I have no idea why there is so much gatekeeping around the diagnosis but that's a rant for another day. I'm sorry for all the hoop-jumping you are having to do.

I think if you feel you have been minimising situations you find traumatic, that's a very valid thing to bring into therapy work, and your tdoc should be sympathetic to that.

11 hours ago, ananke said:

Hopping over from your blog-

TBH your tdoc needs to go back to school. I think the causes of trauma is wildly misunderstood by a lot of the psychological community. I had a similar experience, I was in a bad relationship but because it was only emotionally abusive it didn't count (ugh).

From my entirely amateur perspective, any one of the examples you mentioned would be traumatic. I don't know if it will help, but I have some resources if you want to investigate further: 

None of us can really tell you whether you have PTSD/trauma of some kind (including me!), but it might be worth bringing it up again with your tdoc. Perhaps you can do trauma work without an official Dx. PTSD isn't an exclusive members-only club, I have no idea why there is so much gatekeeping around the diagnosis but that's a rant for another day. I'm sorry for all the hoop-jumping you are having to do.

I think if you feel you have been minimising situations you find traumatic, that's a very valid thing to bring into therapy work, and your tdoc should be sympathetic to that.

Agree. Do u feel you need a second opinion?