CrazyBoards.org

Hi everyone,

I’m on 750 mg of Lithium ER and have been for a few years. I never really noticed weight gain. If my dose was increased to 900 mg do you think it’s possible I’d see an increase in weight? What’s your personal experience. Did you see weight gain? If so, what dose? Thank you 💜

Never saw anything significant from lithium alone even at doses well above 900

• Thanks 1

I don't think I experienced weight gain. That was on a dose of 300mg, though. I know it can happen for some people.

• Thanks 1

I take 1000mg a day and I don’t think it’s put weight on me. I have gained from AAPs though. I’ve heard that the lithium weight gain is due to the increased thirst and people drinking sugary drinks to satisfy that. Stick to low calorie drinks like diet soda, water, coffee and tea (no sugar, sweetener if you want). Avoid fruit juice because it is naturally high in sugar.

Yes, I gained weight on lithium. I know this is paradoxical, but when I took lithium, I craved salt. So French fries, potato chips, pretzels, I think-anything that could be used to get salt into my mouth. Note that those are all high carbohydrate foods. I don’t remember what the dose was. It was too long ago.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Skeletor
      https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/the-british-journal-of-psychiatry/article/clomipramine-tryptophan-and-lithium-in-combination-for-resistant-endogenous-depression-seven-case-studies/F3A1B19433959744DCF32C36C7B4A28F#
      Unquestionably an extreme combination, but it seems to exhibit powerful antidepressant effects. Clomipramine on its own is regarded by many as maybe the most powerful non-MAOI antidepressant, at least in clinical practice and inpatient care, although the side effects can be quite rough, but combined with Tryptophan and Lithium it seems to be further boosted in its effect size and response rate.
      Maybe worth trying before hopping on ECT / MAOIs...
      One has to be careful because it is a small sample case "study", but nonetheless quite interesting to read. I encourage all those who have a view or experience to share it with us, regarding the aforementioned medications and especially the combination. Greetings!
    • By Cyclingsarah
      Hi guys,
      just started Lithium yesterday. I know it can take several weeks to work, but I already feel it clearing my head a bit.
      question tho. Can lithium make anxiety worse in the beginning - like SSRI’s? Because I now find myself very panicky
      I am also on lexapro and mirtazapine. 
    • By Cyclingsarah
      Just wondering. I have a lot of anxiety and am startinh lithium for bipolar disorder in a few weeks
    • By AyYiYikes
      I don’t know if anyone has info on this or not, but here goes. I’ve looked through the internet and couldn’t find anything. Does anyone know if taking lithium can affect. DTC (direct to consumer) DNA testing (Ancestry, etc.)? I’ve read some chemo meds may affect it,  and that things such as denture adhesive can affect the quality but not change the test. What about lithium? 
      Just asking since my results do show DNA matches at 2nd-3rd cousins on both maternal and paternal lines and way beyond but nothing on people closely related to me who’ve also tested. I’m certainly related to my parents given other DNA matches but even a maternal full uncle shows as a cousin and a paternal full uncle (dad’s paternal twin) and his daughter (my first cousin) don’t show at all, although I have matches with all the people  who’ve tested a couple more generations back. Weird. 
      Can’t find anywhere if lithium (all I currently take for BP) is doing something weird to my DNA showing less cMs or if I just am an anomaly. Lol.
      *correction: oops - I meant dad’s FRATERNAL twin.
    • By Cyclingsarah
      Hi guys,
      So I've been depressed and have had severe anxiety for 3 years. Antidepressants make me hypomanic (kinda) and triggers unstable mood. I don't fit in the usual description of bipolar, but there is definitely something not right about the way i react to antidepressants - feeling high, warm, racing thoughts x 100, gets overly chatty etc. 

I've tried the following moodstabilizers
      Lamotrigine (disaster)
      Trileptal
      Gabapentin
      Abilify (made me hypomanic)
      Seroquel (made me hypomanic)
      Depakote/valproate (still taking)

This depression is killing me, but my p.doc. won't prescribe me lithium. Tried two different doctors. What are your thoughts?