CrazyBoards.org

I just got dx'ed with "other specified trauma and stressor related disorder" mainly because my flashbacks aren't always about the trauma, but often are rather about anxiety I experienced due to the trauma. In Egypt I was super stressed and I developed a fear of leaving my apartment. This hasn't gone away. I keep having flashbacks of how afraid I was in Egypt. 

Now I never feel safe. I can't go far from my apartment. Even at home I stress. I'm afraid of men and won't meet one by himself. It's like Egypt set off a trauma reaction that has turned into a wildfire of memories and fears.

But all this fear, I now realize, relates to previous trauma. It's like the trauma was suppressed all these years and now hit me all of a sudden. 

Does this even make sense? I feel doubly traumatized by my how my trauma symptoms manifested. 

yes, it makes sense to me. I've read your other posts about the trauma, and I also have a collection of traumas of various degrees that kind of complicate the whole PTSD question, but which collectively have contributed to my being hyper-vigilant and anxious. One of my things was about two car accidents in close succession that easily could have killed me, and left me with intense driving anxiety that isn't always connected to thinking about the original accidents, but about all the times I've freaked out in cars. So at this point, a lot of it is anxiety about the anxiety. I also have a trauma that I didn't think of as traumatic until 20 years after the fact. It just didn't occur to me that something happened to me that shouldn't have happened. Trauma is a weird thing.

It does make sense. Anxiety/stress can be itself triggering. Like if someone with health anxiety worries about something, gets heart palpitations, then panics and thinks they're having a heart attack or something. The trauma can be traumatising I guess.

I think I saw some graphic once that tried to explain how trauma is formed. Part of it is things you would expect, like proximity to the situation or relative intensity. But it also mentioned your own personal circumstances around the traumatic event. Whether or not you had a support network, good self esteem, pre-existing mental health conditions, etc. I think if your personal circumstances are already pretty fragile, it can make a traumatic event way more overwhelming. From personal experience that seems to have been the case anyway.