CrazyBoards.org

Anyone have experience with Geodon for BP2? My symptoms are mostly depressive with the occasional mixed, and hardly ever any straight hypomania. I've had intense anxiety on Vraylar even at 1.5 mg every other day, and am hoping that the change to Geodon might help that somehow, even if it just doesn't make my baseline anxiety worse as I think Vraylar does. Recent changes include getting rid of the last 250 mg of Depakote last month  (I noticed no effect from this), and bumping my lamotrigine from 75 to 100mg and now 150mg since last week. Pdoc prescribed the Geodon today  even with the recent change to lamotrigine, because the anxiety is really hard to deal with. Mid-level insomnia has also been a problem. I also have trouble with energy and focus though, so am worried that Geodon might be too sedating.

17 hours ago, Unstrung Harp said:

Anyone have experience with Geodon for BP2? My symptoms are mostly depressive with the occasional mixed, and hardly ever any straight hypomania. I've had intense anxiety on Vraylar even at 1.5 mg every other day, and am hoping that the change to Geodon might help that somehow, even if it just doesn't make my baseline anxiety worse as I think Vraylar does. Recent changes include getting rid of the last 250 mg of Depakote last month  (I noticed no effect from this), and bumping my lamotrigine from 75 to 100mg and now 150mg since last week. Pdoc prescribed the Geodon today  even with the recent change to lamotrigine, because the anxiety is really hard to deal with. Mid-level insomnia has also been a problem. I also have trouble with energy and focus though, so am worried that Geodon might be too sedating.

what dose are you going for? Geodon is weird in that some (like me) find it really sedating but others actually find it activating. 

56 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

what dose are you going for? Geodon is weird in that some (like me) find it really sedating but others actually find it activating. 

He prescribed 20mg to start. We haven't discussed what the dosage goal might be. Since I'm only taking I think the lowest dose of Vraylar, and only every other day, I'm just going to stop it when I start the Geodon. I'm not sure if the potential sedation or activation is more worrisome to me right now. But I've had meds that have been activating in a good way that haven't caused me the intense anxiety of Vraylar.

I found it really sedating.  I think it was one of the ones I had breakthrough psychosis on (though stay on it long enough and that's all of them), but to be honest, the only thing I remember about it was the constant sleeping.  I once fell asleep hiking and woke up somewhere else (luckily still on trail).  I used to book meetings "meetings" on my work calendar and go sleep in the sick room.  With that said, I know someone who took it quite successfully for a long time and did not have that kind of sedation.  

9 minutes ago, jarn said:

I found it really sedating.  I think it was one of the ones I had breakthrough psychosis on (though stay on it long enough and that's all of them), but to be honest, the only thing I remember about it was the constant sleeping.  I once fell asleep hiking and woke up somewhere else (luckily still on trail).  I used to book meetings "meetings" on my work calendar and go sleep in the sick room.  With that said, I know someone who took it quite successfully for a long time and did not have that kind of sedation.  

yikes. I told Pdoc I don't mind that much if it sedates me after I take it at dinner, because I don't feel very invested in being awake right now, but daytime sleepiness and random fits of sleep would be a problem. thanks for your input.

You may not have that as strongly as I did...certainly my friend who was on it didn't.  

For me the sedation was terrible. Sleep fourteen hours a day terrible. I don’t remember any anxiety, but I was crushingly depressed at the time (which lasted for about two years), and very out of it.

6 minutes ago, jarn said:

You may not have that as strongly as I did...certainly my friend who was on it didn't.  

Maybe not. Abilify knocked me out, but I gather that is not the norm.

1 minute ago, Gearhead said:

For me the sedation was terrible. Sleep fourteen hours a day terrible. I don’t remember any anxiety, but I was crushingly depressed at the time (which lasted for about two years), and very out of it.

ugh. that's disheartening. I don't really know what else we would replace the Vraylar with, and lamotrigine is not, I believe, generally used as a mono-therapy.

On 7/22/2020 at 8:23 PM, Unstrung Harp said:

I got up to 240 mg of geodon at one point and wasn’t tired at all, but was also so unbelievably manic a train couldn’t stop me. Stopped due to cost and not taking my illness seriously.

But at 160 (120?) mg a retry of it a little later on (I had a “bad at taking meds consistently” period) I was so incredibly tired I couldn’t stand it. I slept all the time and it was SUPER expensive. Brand name. I was so dang tired. People got mad at me for bailing on everything. Turns out they weren’t true friends anyway.  :( 

I never took that low of a dose so I will be interested in hearing your experience. I hope it helps you out and helps sleep without making you tired in the daytime.

Little known fact, geodon used to give away the best free pill cases. Back in the day when drug companies could go such things. My mom and my husband still use their geodon ones I got from the county clinic. I wish all my pills would fit in such a small pill case. Ouff.

and fwiw vraylar gave me intense rotten anxiety too. I hope geodon is kinder to you. 

@Wonderful.Cheese its funny. I had the exact opposite, got really sedated the first trial, then stopped, then did a second trial where i felt no sedation at all

1 hour ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

Little known fact, geodon used to give away the best free pill cases.

Oh my god, they had the best pens! My tdoc used to collect swag from meds he knew I took and give it to me. In return, I taught him how to keep plants alive on the windowsill.

We also talked about David Bowie a lot. God, I miss him.

On 7/25/2020 at 7:57 PM, Wonderful.Cheese said:

I got up to 240 mg of geodon at one point and wasn’t tired at all, but was also so unbelievably manic a train couldn’t stop me. Stopped due to cost and not taking my illness seriously.

But at 160 (120?) mg a retry of it a little later on (I had a “bad at taking meds consistently” period) I was so incredibly tired I couldn’t stand it. I slept all the time and it was SUPER expensive. Brand name. I was so dang tired. People got mad at me for bailing on everything. Turns out they weren’t true friends anyway.  :( 

I never took that low of a dose so I will be interested in hearing your experience. I hope it helps you out and helps sleep without making you tired in the daytime.

Little known fact, geodon used to give away the best free pill cases. Back in the day when drug companies could go such things. My mom and my husband still use their geodon ones I got from the county clinic. I wish all my pills would fit in such a small pill case. Ouff.

and fwiw vraylar gave me intense rotten anxiety too. I hope geodon is kinder to you. 

Thanks, Cheese. I took it last night with dinner and wasn’t excessively sleepy today, just dragging, but I slept on the couch last night because my husband announced he felt like he was getting sick so I skittered away (he seems better today, though I don’t feel so great, which hopefully is the geodon). I did discover online a potential serious interaction with my tamoxifen that I have to discuss with pdoc, so maybe I’ll have to stop taking it. 

On 7/25/2020 at 8:54 PM, Iceberg said:

@Wonderful.Cheese its funny. I had the exact opposite, got really sedated the first trial, then stopped, then did a second trial where i felt no sedation at all

That’s interesting. Different doses or med combos?

On 7/25/2020 at 9:42 PM, Gearhead said:

Oh my god, they had the best pens! My tdoc used to collect swag from meds he knew I took and give it to me. In return, I taught him how to keep plants alive on the windowsill.

We also talked about David Bowie a lot. God, I miss him.

I’m disappointed both that I don’t get the cool geodon swag and that my Pdoc never discusses David Bowie with me. Though he seems more Steely Dan. 

The day after my second dose and I feel not sedated exactly, but wooly in the head. It hasn't knocked me out either night, and I've actually had insomnia. It's only 20mg, so hopefully I will adjust and we'll be able to up the dosage to the twice a day that seems to be indicated.