CrazyBoards.org

Oxcarbazepine for unipolar depression?

Does anyone take Oxcarbazepine for unipolar depression? I was taking Lamotrigine for a while but had a bad skin reaction. And my doctor recommended switching to Oxcarbazepine. I don't have a manic problem, most of my issues are low mood, lack of energy/motivation, unwillingness to go out, grogginess/tiredness especially in the morning. I do have anxiety issues (social, GAD) as well, so Oxcarbazepine may work on that?

I have heard of oxcarbazepine (Trileptal) being used as a mood stabilizer for folks with bipolar disorder.....However, I have never heard of it being used for just unipolar depression.

https://www.verywellmind.com/trileptal-medication-profile-379048#:~:text=Trileptal (oxcarbazepine) is an anticonvulsant,seizures in adults and children.

Does your doc suspect you might have bipolar disorder?

I have no experience using it myself, so I don't know if it would help anxiety.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/24/2020 at 2:55 PM, Irene Iesu said:

Does anyone take Oxcarbazepine for unipolar depression? I was taking Lamotrigine for a while but had a bad skin reaction. And my doctor recommended switching to Oxcarbazepine. I don't have a manic problem, most of my issues are low mood, lack of energy/motivation, unwillingness to go out, grogginess/tiredness especially in the morning. I do have anxiety issues (social, GAD) as well, so Oxcarbazepine may work on that?

It may be worth trying. Although issues with energy/motivation and grogginess and tiredness definitely won't be addressed by oxcarbazepine, it will definitely augment your current regiment of fluoxetine/bupropion assuming your signature is correct.

Will say though that oxcarbazepine and carbamazepine (it's cousin) are not typically used in unipolar depression the way that lamotrigine and lithium are sometimes used.

• Thanks 1