CrazyBoards.org

2 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

I get you on wanting to put it off for the current reasons at hand...

Wow, I can't believe my memory served me right for once! Lol usually my memory is terrible lol. I think I have associated your profile picture + your avatar with some of your meds somehow... (I don't know why or how those things have made a connection in my mind...)

I got off Victoza for the same reason. I was getting knots in my tummy where I would inject. My tremor is too severe to inject in my thigh or upper arm, and it hurts worse since I have a WHOLE lot more fat in my belly lol.

If you go for any other GLP-1 agonist like Victoza, I would highly recommend Ozempic. It has been wonderful for me. No GI side effects (particularly nausea) starting up like with Victoza, the injections aren't as painful (somoething to so with the Ozempic itself maybe?). I just love it all around. Trulicity was okay but I didn't feel like it was really doing anything for me. Never taken any of the other GLP-1 agonists, but haven't heard too many good things about Bydureon/Bydureon BCse, Byetta, or Adlyxin. Tanzeum got discontinued I think. They make an oral form of Ozempic, called "Rybelsus," if you don't even want to bother with weekly injections, I almost forgot. GLP-1 agonists are kinda the future of weight loss, weight management, and diabetes management I feel, as does my gdoc.

There are DPP-4 inhibitors that sort of act similarly to GLP-1 agonists. They stimulate insulin release and I believe inhibit glucagon release (a hormone that causes your liver to generate glucose from glycogen stores). They are weight neutral I believe, perhaps can lose a couple of pounds on them, but nothing serious.

Stay away from the SGLT2 inhibitors (Invokana, Jardiance, Farxiga, Steglatro) or any product containing one... A fellow user on this site got the infamous genital mycotic infection and had to have skin grafts on his genitals from it. They also have black box warnings for increased chances of limb amputation. They're nothing to mess around with. They basically make you pee out extra sugar in your body. They can cause weight loss. But none of it I don't think is worth the potential risks.

But you can't go wrong with good old metformin (if it works for you that is, I don't think it really does anything for me).

Wow, thanks, this is amazing information!!!!  I'm saving the email notification so I have it accessible when I next talk to pdoc.  This is really helpful.  

I injected Victoza into my right upper thigh - it'd get super bruised after awhile.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

Oh I forgot... Metformin depletes your body of vitamin B12, so you might go out and grab yourself a good vitamin B12 supplement. Preferably methylcobalamin (methyl B12) over cyanocobalamin (what most OTC B12 supplements are). I don't know about dosage, I take 1000 mcg per day (for MTRR and MTR genetic mutations) along with 25 mg P-5-P (activated form of vitamin B6 I have to take due to genetic mutations, I think CBS upregulation it was...) and 15-30 mg L-methylfolate (for MTHFR genetic mutations).

Be very careful with methylated B vitamins because my husband was put on that and it caused intense irritability and episodes of rage that were terrifying and stopped as soon as he stopped the vitamin.

*I forgot to add he became suicidal in the span of a few days.

@jarn

Edited by saintalto

Wow @saintalto - that's super scary!  I think my supplement is the regular kind.  I would worry knowing what happened to your husband.  

On 7/24/2020 at 3:22 PM, jarn said:

I am bipolar (I think actually SZA, I've been diagnosed with that before, current pdoc says 'on the schizophrenic spectrum' and that psychosis is a bigger part of my disease than most bipolar people).  In case that gives context.

I take:

Zyprexa 15mg (20mg was causing me to sleep when I should be working)

Lamotrigine 300mg

Gabapentin 900mg

CBD for akathisia caused by Zyprexa, sometimes I need .5mg Ativan for that too, or to help sleep.  

Generic Alesse for birth control

I have had bad depression this week, sufficient that my husband stayed home with me Wednesday and made sure I got a pdoc appointment sooner (next Tuesday).  

It's a bit better today - I'm still depressed, but I was able to work all day.

I don't know if I need a med change or adjustment or what.  Zyprexa is new (since spring) and it's working pretty well from a psychosis perspective.  Should I ask about going up on lamotrigine?  Think of adding something new?  Or is this just a brief cycling?  I do realize I've been minorly depressed for a bit, but little enough that I didn't recognize it.

I see you are taking IR Metformin. Don't do that. The XL version features far less GI problems. On the IR I had cramps so bad they brought me to my knees. With XL all that stopped and I take 1 gram twice a day.

Thanks @notloki - I'm definitely bringing this up next appointment!!!!

35 minutes ago, jarn said:

Wow @saintalto - that's super scary!  I think my supplement is the regular kind.  I would worry knowing what happened to your husband.  

It was brief but horrible. :( 

12 minutes ago, saintalto said:

It was brief but horrible. :( 

I can imagine.  Super scary.  Good you guys were able to pinpoint the cause.

4 hours ago, saintalto said:

Be very careful with methylated B vitamins because my husband was put on that and it caused intense irritability and episodes of rage that were terrifying and stopped as soon as he stopped the vitamin.

*I forgot to add he became suicidal in the span of a few days.

@jarn

Ooh that's scary. 😢  There is a set of genetic mutations that supposedly makes one intolerant to any/all methyl donors of any kind. It involves having both a COMT V158M (rs4680) (+) allele and a VDR Taq (rs731236) (+) allele. That could've been the case for him.

• Like 1