CrazyBoards.org

Adjusting to Synthroid  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Did you need to make any modifications to psychiatric medications when starting Synthroid?

• Yes
    • No

A few years ago, I found out from my father (who I don't see often) that he was diagnosed late in life with hypothyroidism. Making due diligence, my family doctor started testing my TSH and Free T4.

Tested it once in 2017 where TSH was normal and T4 was just barely low. Tested again in 2018 about 6 months later and TSH was still normal and T4 still lowish. Wasn't until early last year that I started testing high TSH numbers. The initial high was only 4.77uIU/mL, which isn't that high relatively speaking. However, a subsequent test of my TSH and T4 showed the same high TSH but now I had lower T4 than in 2017 or 2018. It was apparent that either something was going on in my body or I just had hypothyroidism that was progressing.

So in November of last year, my general doctor starts me on Synthroid at my request. My father takes 100mcg a day, but there's also a family history of heart issues on both sides of my family where the one side specifically is cardiac arrhythmia. So my gdoc wanted to start at the bottom and work our way up.

Started on 25mcg and tested again this past January. TSH is still high at 4.61 but T4 is now 0.97ng/dL. Whoopee! I'm actually in the normal free T4 range! So we increased to 50mcg because no jitters or cardiac side effects to speak of. Test again in April and TSH is now 7.18 and T4 back down to 0.76ng/dL. :wtf:

So at this stage my gdoc recommends I see an endocrinologist. Got one. She has me take an additional 50mcg on Sundays (100mcg total) which seems to start making a real difference. Latest TSH is 5.90 and T4 is 1.01ng/dL. Looks like we're headed somewhere.

Now, all that to tell you this: My current psych meds are:

Trintellix 5mg AM

Rexulti 1mg AM

Vyvanse 40mg AM

Depakote ER 1250mg

This combo has worked well for me since 2017 when my pdoc and I pieced it together. My bipolar disorder follows a seasonal pattern. So we typically adjust meds as the seasons progress. Usually just the antidepressant, but sometimes the Rexulti as well. Standard dose on Trintellix for me is usually 10mg but in the Summer I need to back down to 5mg for a few months because it can cause me to go a little hypomanic. On the flip-side in the Fall and Winter, I typically require Trintellix at 15mg and 20mg respectively.

The problem though is that since introducing Synthroid, my normal seasonal rhythm feels like it's been thrown off. I find myself feeling over-stimulated on a semi-regular basis. Sometimes a little anxious. The weirdest thing for me though is that caffeine usually goes right through me (I'm a CYP1A2 rapid metabolizer, hence I remove caffeine from the body faster than most), yet recently I'm finding that after 1 MAYBE 2 coffees, I'm finding I'm a little too stimulated when I usually need like a whole pot of coffee to get by.

I started on Vyvanse because I was having issues with focus and concentration but also motivation/fatigue. My pdoc and I weren't 100% sure what I was experiencing was ADHD and not some unrelated problem rooted in anhedonia or anxious inattention. However from where I'm standing now, it would seem that all I really needed was some Synthroid and that the Vyvanse was just a bandaid covering up the real problem. I tried going off Vyvanse for a month before I had started Synthroid or knew there was a thyroid problem. Mixed success. My mood was less stable, but I found myself in good moods more often. Couldn't focus on anything for the life of me, and I was DOG tired.

As a side note, the endocrinologist did some further blood tests and we did determine that I do have Hashimoto's disease, which is why my thyroid is under-performing. My immune system is attacking it. So I did some research on Hashimoto's disease and psychiatric impact and come to find that there are plenty of people with similar stories. Psychiatric diagnoses (bipolar and major depressive especially) were super common in these people, who would then go on to start thyroid hormones that resolve a significant portion of their psychiatric issues.

I'm not saying that Synthroid is my answer and that I or anyone should throw out their psych meds when they get a Hashimoto's diagnosis. What I want to know is who here has been treated for some sort of affective/mood disorder, then been diagnosed with some sort of thyroid problem, start taking thyroid hormones, only to find that it really did change the psych med merry-go-round for you?

It changed my psych meds a little bit, because lithium works so well for me, but has major thyroid side effects, so people don't want to put me on more than the lowest dose of lithium that I don't lose it on.  It improved my depression a little bit otherwise, but wasn't enough improvement to change meds for me.  If I get hyperthyroid, I eat a ton of benzos, though.  

Edited by Banana Smurf

2 minutes ago, Banana Smurf said:

It changed my psych meds a little bit, because lithium works so well for me, but has major thyroid side effects, so people don't want to put me on more than the lowest dose of lithium that I don't lose it on.  

Do you experience thyroid issues because of the lithium (i.e. did the thyroid issues start after you started lithium) or was the thyroid issue pre-existing?

It's really unclear.  I was also tested as having Hashimoto's, but I read that can also be stimulated to begin on lithium.  I had an abnormal reading near the time I started, and I've never been told it caused it, but I don't know.

Edited by Banana Smurf

9 minutes ago, Banana Smurf said:

If I get hyperthyroid, I eat a ton of benzos, though.  

This is more how I've been feeling. Like I need to start taking clonazepam again because my irritability and anxiety have both been on the uptick

2 minutes ago, Banana Smurf said:

It's really unclear.  I was also tested as having Hashimoto's, but I read that can also be stimulated to begin on lithium.  I had an abnormal reading near the time I started, and I've never been told it caused it, but I don't know.

Yeah so I can't figure out for myself if starting valproate played any role. You hear about lithium causing hypothyroidism all the time but not so much from valproate. It can happen but.......I'm also considering that my father has hypothyroidism and has never even taken psych meds so I don't read into this too much.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By browri
      So my general doctor and I have been tracking my thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) and my free T4. My TSH consistently comes in high or at the high-end of normal, while my T4 is always low but just barely low. My father has the same problem and has been taking low-dose Synthroid for some time now and it has helped him immensely.
      I wanted to put it out to the boards what people's experiences have been. If you have depression that also comes with a lot of low energy fatigue and you found out you had hypothyroidism and added Synthroid, what was that like? What should I look out for? I imagine I only need a low-dose and not a full replacement dose. My TSH is between 4.5 and 4.75 and my T4 is about 0.66.
      My appt with my gdoc is on Tuesday and I'm going to add it then hopefully. Curious to hear what everyone has to say.
    • By Blahblah
      Has anyone had any noticeable side effects from Levothyroxine? I was on it for quite awhile and then I ran out of RX so I was off it last 2 months. I didn't really notice much during the 2 months i didn't take it. My bloods are normal also, so I wonder if it does anything at all for me (TSH was a bit high previously).
      Anyway, did anyone have any weight loss, more energy or improvement in depression?  Any gastro issues? Also do you take it morning (i took it right before bed bc I get up at different times and eat breakfast immediately). I've been feeling slightly more tired & suddenly gaining weight, so might go back on it.

• By Blahblah
      Anyone get diagnosed with severe Dry Eye syndrome from psych meds? If so, which meds were causing it? I have been on many the last year (when the problem was diagnosed) but my senses are telling me that it's either due to Levothyroxine (been on 3 years) or Lamictal (been on 1.5 years).
      I had perfect vision until a year ago - started to become noticeably blurry quite quickly, and so we decreased the dosage of my meds. But the Dry eye started getting progressively worse in the last 6 months. I went to an opthamologist 6 months ago and she was very worried, asked for all of the drugs I take. I had to get glasses and she gave me 2 different RX eye drops. I just met with her again and she said the problem is not much better. Switched my prescription to different/stronger drops 3x per (everyday) and this cream I have to put around my eye at night for 2 weeks, so they don't get infected.
      Can meds really screw up your eyes/vision over time? I don't want to start having vision problems! Sometimes in the morning, I wipe my eyes gently, and they are sore, like when you have a bruise on your arm and press on it? it's bizarre.
    • By Inanlae
      A month ago, I began to have symptoms of lithium toxicity after eight years of relative stability.  In the subsequent batch of bloodwork, my TSH was found to be too high, suggesting a dx of hypothyroidism, for which I was promptly prescribed Synthroid.  My start-up side effects on Synthroid were dramatic, taking me to a manic state, with insomnia, and severe appetite suppression (lost 10 pounds in 1 week), and yielding an ecstatic plan to save the world in a series of disjointed, delusional essays.  I saw my GP as I had developed a goiter, which likely resulted from the overtaxation of my thyroid.  It was also discovered at that time, and confirmed with an EKG, that my heart rate was too low (which perhaps explains the unproductive fog I'd been in at work all week).  My GP deemed my migraine prevention medication, a beta-blocker called Nadolol, the cause and promptly discontinued my use, which took me to a lovely place of at least one migraine a day after a relatively pain-free year.  She didn't increase my Imitrex to compensate, so pain.  Without proper migraine treatment, I find myself relying on over-the-counter pain medications in amounts far exceeding recommended doses, so that I can have just enough relief to fulfill a shadow of my resopnsibilities.  She re-ordered a lithium level, as apparently it is known to interact with Synthroid.  The critically high result came in later that Friday evening, though no one actually contacted me about it until after the weekend.  Thankfully, my local laboratory allows me to see my results online, so I took myself off of the lithium, as otherwise the toxicity would have only continued to increase.  The lithium had also affected my kidney function, depressing my glomerular filtration rate (GFR) to stage three chronic kidney disease levels.  My psychiatrist told me I could not resume my lithium until my kidney function returned to normal, which fortunately it has.  (She believes the thyroid damage is permanent, which isn't terribly worrying as Synthroid seems to be a rather effective replacement.)  An ultrasound of the thyroid was inconclusive.  A radiologist astutely confirmed that the gland was enlarged, which is also visible with the naked eye, that blood flow to the region was increased, which is slightly worrying as it suggests to me the possibility of increased cellular mass, and also said the result was consonant with Graves' disease, which doesn't make sense as Graves is essentially hyperthyroidism and a TSH of over 85 is most definiately indicates hypothyroidism.  Some MA or other clinical support person called to say that they were in receipt of my ultrasound result but gave no indication as to what the result actually was, and I had to go to the hospital medical records department to obtain the result, as their online results system didn't seem to be working properly.  It is not clear what my psychiatrist intended me to do without any mood stabilization medication.  Of course I went into a deep depression.  I missed several days of work.  I used an antidepressant in the safety-net sort of way I've long used it, an off-label method which I will not propagate here, but which I credit with saving my life many times.  Unfortunatley, it has a rather ugly rebound which doesn't aid overall stability.  My psychiatrist had sent in standing orders for labwork, which apparently I can avail myself of at will.  So once I'd obtained results that my renal function had returned to normal--textbook normal, which is excellent as there doesn't seem to be any lasting kidney damage, I restarted myself on lithium at the lowest possible dose.  After several days on that dose, I had myself retested, and as kidney function remained normal, I have gone to the second lowest possible dose and will retest before my doctor's appointment next week.  Meanwhile, I have heard from neither my GP's nor my psychiatrist's offices regarding either lab results or treatment plans. ("How's your mood been with the lithium withdrawal?  Let's talk about how we're going to deal with your bipolar symptoms while you're not on your mood stabilizer."  "We realize that in taking your migraine prevention medication away, you're probably going to experience a rebound in migraines.  Let's talk about a healthy way to manage that pain."  "Way to go!  Your kidney function is normal.  You can now resume lithium at dosage x.")  

What am I paying them for?!  What do patients do who aren't able to what I'm doing?  It does not seem an extravagant expectation that they should be able to manage care in the areas for which they have been trained.  And what, exactly, has that training prepared them for?  Lobbing anti-psychotics and mood stabilizers like grenades at our symptoms until something hits the mark, but in rapid fire succession, so that start-up and withdrawal effects overlap, and resulting changes in symptoms are overdetermined, and thus it isn't entirely clear whether a positive result is brought about by medication A, medication B, or some interaction of the two.  I lost a job during a period of such medieval science.  To them we may just be charts, problems to be solved, but whether I am stable determines whether I can continue my education this Fall, whether I will be able to keep the job which provides my healthcare and funds my education.  

My goal, above all else, with my mental illness treatment, is to regain the highest level of function possible, so that my life can be more than suicide defense and a perpetual need for pharmaceutical smoke and mirrors to mask my symptoms, not just in public, but around those most near and dear as well.  I want to use my experience of pain and powerlessness to ameliorate and eliminate suffering in others.  But to do this, I need my brain.  I find it rather absurd that I should be expected to repair my own diseased organ with that same diseased organ, but so it seems.
    • By laurita
      I recently had my thyroid removed.  I'm taking levothyroxine and it is making anxiety worse.  I've been following the site for information for quite awhile.  I thought I'd join so I can find out more about the interactions of all of the other drugs I take (bipolar) with the levothyroxine.