CrazyBoards.org

curious if anyone is willing to share their news-watching (or lack thereof) habits and how it impacts your mental health (if it does).

I'm asking because the PHP and my therapist both recommend that I stop my nightly news habit. 

I find that watching news as opposed to reading it is especially bad when I’m feeling anxious or fragile, with all the physical stimulation of the  chyrons and the chatter and their tone of voice. When I’m in overload I try, usually unsuccessfully, to avoid even reading the news, but a lot of that is tied into avoiding Facebook for me because I follow a lot of news outlets there. Also, the world, particularly here, is a dumpster fire right now so I find it hard not to get amped up from the news these days. Sorry that was long. 

Posted (edited)

I've almost always kept up with the news, but I also am very aware that it affects my mental health. Anxiety and depression. As of a few days ago I've mostly cut myself off, and I feel a bit guilty about it, but there it is.

Edited by 0112358
Spelling error

I have a friend who always talks politics with me.  We're unrepentant, sarcastic lefties who are fascinated by COVID (and relieved Toronto and Ontario are really coming out of the woods) and Canadian politics (along with an amuse bouche of Trump).  

Right now in Canada there's a charity scandal involving the PM (Trudeau) and a charity he and his family, had close ties to that was awarded a multi-million dollar contract to administer a student volunteering payment program (due to COVID, summer jobs are scarce).  The finance minister also had close ties - his daughter worked for the charity and his wife also had ties - and neither Morneau or Trudeau recused themselves from discussions on awarding the contract.  We watched the testimony from the heads of the charity before a House of Commons committee yesterday and were killing ourselves laughing (as my friend said, 'maybe it's just me, but if I were an upper middle class white person appearing before a House committee, I'd pay for a lawyer to help prep my testimony').  But then we're horrible people.

With that said, climate news I find so incredibly depressing it hurts.  

I’ve learned to be careful about my news consumption. To me it seems that there’s been no good news for the better part of four years. It really impacts me. I read the headlines on CNN daily and cherry pick the stories I read, and also the local headlines, and articles from the NYT because their reporting style is unique.

My husband is forever asking me “Did you hear about [x]?” and when I say “Yes, I heard about it,” explaining it to me in detail I don’t want or need, despite the fact that I’ve told him repeatedly that I don’t  want him to. I have no idea how to stop him.

I’ve never used social media in any form, so that’s not an issue for me.

I read about the news sometimes, but I pick the articles.  I was watching the COVID stuff for a while, then I was asked to stop.  I don't really think regular news consumption is particularly good for my anxiety.

thank you all.  it's helpful to know that others intentionally restrict their news coverage.  I objected to my therapist's request and stated that it's part of my nightly routine.  He asked me to think about it, which I have done.  Now that I've spent more time with it, I think his request was to cut it out at night, rather than to cut it out altogether.  It would be hard for me to cut it out completely because of facebook.  And because I just prefer to be informed about what's going on.  But I can try it for a little bit.  I''ll have to find something else to do with my time. 

1 hour ago, dancesintherain said:

thank you all.  it's helpful to know that others intentionally restrict their news coverage.  I objected to my therapist's request and stated that it's part of my nightly routine.  He asked me to think about it, which I have done.  Now that I've spent more time with it, I think his request was to cut it out at night, rather than to cut it out altogether.  It would be hard for me to cut it out completely because of facebook.  And because I just prefer to be informed about what's going on.  But I can try it for a little bit.  I''ll have to find something else to do with my time. 

I hear what you’re saying about wanting to stay informed. That is something I’ve struggled with especially over the past four years, how to balance that with my mental health. I can see how news at night can be activating when you’re trying to wind down, as opposed to early in the morning or at lunch. But it is hard sometimes to replace something that’s part of your routine. 

thanks Harp -- I'm going to try to come up with a new nightly routine.  What it will include is up in the air.  It's definitely a tough balance.

i like local news and find it pleasant to read. national and international stuff tanks my mood or induces outrage, so i avoid it, besides what slithers through my tumblr and instagram, which isn't a lot. i get my headlines from my mom, mostly, who reads the news and tells me about it. that's enough to get me by on most "did you hear about ___?" conversations. i can't read american news at all.

like jarn, climate news also destroys me. it's a surefire way to make me feel small, helpless, and depressed. 

i used to watch news probably most days, but since politics has become so heated the past few years I can''t really do it more than a few minutes, to the point where my family makes sure to warn me before turning news on, especially COVID news or politics 

Posted (edited)

News is a vicious cycle for me, the worse things are, the more obsessive I get about watching and reading it, consequently I get more stressed and more obsessive and then I am checking online news sources hourly.  I know it's making me worse, but this year it is especially hard to keep a balance with everything that's happening.  I am aware of it and try to reign myself in when it gets too bad.  I mostly stay away from social media because that will put me right over the edge, and try to stick to just a couple of established and respected (online) newspapers.  Also a personal word of warning, don't read the reader comments unless you want to lose all faith in humanity.

Edited by Complicated toad
Typo

7 hours ago, Complicated toad said:

News is a vicious cycle for me, the worse things are, the more obsessive I get about watching and reading it, consequently I get more stressed and more obsessive and then I am checking online news sources hourly.  I know it's making me worse, but this year it is especially hard to keep a balance with everything that's happening.  I am aware of it and try to reign myself in when it gets too bad. 

I mostly stay away from social media because that will put me right over the edge, and try to stick to just a couple of established and respected (online) newspapers.  Also a personal word of warning, don't read the reader comments unless you want to lose all faith in humanity.

Sooooo ^^^ THIS ^^^  My mood has been tanking lately, all the news on major outlets I read is HORRIBLE, it feels like the apocalypse. Even CNN feels sort of "sensationalized." I've been too obsessive lately by looking at the COVID numbers daily (in different countries / states) Reading anything about Trump makes me sick to my stomach (and yes, the social media comments put me over the edge)

I try to limit my reading time, like a quick scan of major headlines, then I must go do something else. I've been talking more evening walks to take advantage of warm weather and watching more light movies/series in the evenings. I can't completely shut out all media and news, but right now, it is seriously depressing & anxiety-inducing for everyone (even people with no mental health issues!)