CrazyBoards.org

Do you panic when you see a person you’re going to have walk by? As soon as I see a person I’m going to have to walk or bike passed I start a loop of anxiety and I completely lose track of my mind. It seems like the only way to get out of it is to stay inside and never have to see people. 

While I'm in stores or anywhere where people can see me I feel like everyone is staring at me, I know logically they aren’t but it doesn’t stop the feeling. 

Posted (edited)

I am like this when I am psychotic. It clears up when I’m stable. Meds make me stable more than therapy. 

Edited by saintalto

How does it help to know if anyone shares this. I am not being smartass. I have panic attack at times. Tell me how you get through it. Meds help. 

Just knowing I'm not the only one makes me feel ordinary and think other people get through this so ill probably get through it because I'm just an ordinary person. I don't know I guess I'm hoping to get some therapeutic value from using a forum since I really don't talk to people. I don know maybe it wouldn't help you but it helps me to know someone else can get through it. but hearing Pulver doesn't really help me and makes me think maybe this isn't the forum where I will find people with similar perspectives.

Posted (edited)

I used to get like this really badly, and now I am more ok with it.  I think that both meds and exposure therapy helped me.

Edited by Banana Smurf
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, delusional said:

Just knowing I'm not the only one makes me feel ordinary and think other people get through this so ill probably get through it because I'm just an ordinary person. I don't know I guess I'm hoping to get some therapeutic value from using a forum since I really don't talk to people. I don know maybe it wouldn't help you but it helps me to know someone else can get through it. but hearing Pulver doesn't really help me and makes me think maybe this isn't the forum where I will find people with similar perspectives.

I think this is a really helpful community...I thought your question was perfectly valid.  Most people on this site help each other through hard times.  

I am like @saintalto in terms of I have this happen when I'm psychotic.  I have specific, recurring delusions about people tracking me and reporting to supernatural beings.

• Like 2

Yes I get like this when I'm paranoid. I end up feeling very hostile towards everyone because I think they are against me somehow.

I'm trying to get my delusions under control, but it takes a few week to see if the new pills help or not. It's nice to know that some people have gotten the right meds. And my therapist told me to try exposure therapy, and just try to remember everyone is a bit more worried about themselves than some person they don't know passing by them.

I hear ya.  I'm not delusional right now, but I am mixed and my increased zyprexa is taking tooooooo long to kick in.  I hope yours help soon!  Exposure therapy sounds like a good idea.

do you know what specifically it is that causes the panic when you have to pass by someone? i hope that doesn't sound like a silly question, but sometimes i find that if i'm able to pin down exactly what the scary thing is (eg. being laughed at for looking strange, having your thoughts read somehow, etc), it's a bit easier to try and find a way to combat the fear.

i think pulver's comment was quite uncalled for. for most people, knowing that other people struggle with the same issues they do can be a comfort in itself. it's pretty common and completely okay to ask something as simple as "do other people experience this?"

is simply being around people stressful for you, or is the act of passing them while walking more scary? i wonder if a good small exposure step might be something like sitting on your porch (if you have one) or a park bench for a few minutes while people walk by.

do you have a dog, or do you know someone with a dog you could walk with? they can be great companions for walking in public places because no matter what you look like or feel like, most people are going to be more interested in your dog. they provide a bit of a social shield, in my experience.

i hope your new pills help you feel better soon. if you feel comfortable sharing what you've been prescribed, people here will probably be able to tell you about their experiences on that medication, if that's something you'd find helpful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think it’s tough to totally zone in on the ideal treatment without looking at the root cause (as @echolocation mentioned) because different causes have different treatments (sorry to be a little captain obvious there). If it’s delusions that is probably more in line with medication, but if it’s panic/agoraphobia then exposure might be very valuable. Not to say that you should only do one or the other, med and therapy combo is often ideal in mental illness. And I think you should ignore the negative comment... most of us here try our best to be helpful 

• Like 2

On 8/4/2020 at 2:13 PM, delusional said:

Try not to take offense. It makes me feel awful to think I made it worse. I am ordinary I guess. No particularly talent or success. I am lucky though in not having any of the tragic experiences that are out there, handicapped children,  poverty etc. I think it’s mostly DNA and luck, bad and good that forms us. I did everything, meds, therapy,  meditation,,you name it,I’ve done. I am still social phobia. As I get older I don’t care as much. Life still has pleasure. I don’t want to die. Best of luck to all of you. Keep trying. We’re all different. And that’s good.

• Like 2