CrazyBoards.org
sugarsugar

Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)?

My new therapist sent me something about ACT, which I’ve never heard of or seen discussed. Does anyone have experience or been helped with this approach?  I tried to read the attachment but admit anything discussing mindfulness or acceptance is a total discussion ender for me. I’m trying to keep an open mind anyway. What should I know about this stuff?  Apparently this is her approach. 

I did maybe 4 sessions. Lots of "Life sucks, and that's OK" type stuff. Some mindfulness. And an emphasis on yourself as a self aware being. 

2 out of 10. Would not recommend. 

I've done some self help stuff that is ACT focused and I find it particularly helpful for things like intrusive thoughts where it helps me to be more aware of my response to them and accept them because therapists have kept telling me that most people have disturbing intrusive thoughts, they just are able to ignore them, so I just like to hear it over and over again.  

there are three components, mindfulness stuff, acceptance (mine's leant more towards Banana Smurfs experience) and values. Like rather than focusing on goals, its more about becoming the person you want to be: https://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/act.htm 

i havent really found mindfulness helpful, but the other two aspects have helped. particularly with self esteem/intrusive thoughts

In one of my psychopathology classes, we had to attend presentations on various talk therapy methods. I stumbled across the ACT one I had. One of the main take home points was that mental illness and the bad results don’t speak to “you” as a person .... and to eliminate holding yourself at fault when things go bad. There is as said above a big mindfulness component, but I agree that I’ve heard that so many times I get no benefit from it anymore. Interestingly, it is becoming a pretty common intervention for those with serious physical illness who are experiencing depression etc. as part of their health situation 

I read through all the materials tdoc sent me. One mood tracker type thing with self help “how do I feel “ type stuff. One workbook with planner of who to turn to, plans to sleep, eat, etc. and a very tedious ACT self help manual with stuff I won’t do. Many things were similar to self hypnosis, and since I was totally screwed up by hypnotherapy I’m not going there. The examples were bizarre to me. Picture yourself in quicksand (why?), picture yourself in a boat taking on water, that type thing. I’m having trouble seeing the value in such imagery. It’s making me wonder about this. I’ve already said any type guided imagery crap is out due to similarities to hypnosis. This seems like lots of imagery and visualization. This could be a very interesting therapy experience if these materials represent what’s to come. Not interesting in a good way. But I’m trying to keep an open mind. 

OK session 2, after 2 months, is tomorrow. I barely remember last time. No idea how this can work but I will try to work with her. I read the materials she sent but remember almost nothing. My next appointment is in 2 weeks so maybe I can build some momentum. Seems an ineffective system but I’m trying not to prejudge. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The main thing is that the therapist is flexible and pays attention to what elements of ACT work for you and what don't work for you personally and need to be discarded, I think it's a pretty good model I haven't had it but it sounds pretty good and practical and warm

Edited by Antecedent

Since it had been 2 months since the last visit, this seemed unrelated. The video wouldn’t connect so we reverted to phone. We mainly talked about my recent snafu at work, which wasn’t my intention but that’s ok. Next appointment in 2 weeks and hope for better.