CrazyBoards.org

Hi all, my schizophrenia is under control but im  still having problems with concentration and my psychiatrist wants me to try a small dose of Ritalin to help me concentrate. I said i'll have a think about it and I know its risky coz its a stimilant but a small dose might be safe.

What are peoples experiences here taking Ritalin while having schizophrenia?? 

1 hour ago, swanny said:

Hi all, my schizophrenia is under control but im  still having problems with concentration and my psychiatrist wants me to try a small dose of Ritalin to help me concentrate. I said i'll have a think about it and I know its risky coz its a stimilant but a small dose might be safe.

What are peoples experiences here taking Ritalin while having schizophrenia?? 

I have schizoeffective disorder. Clozapine made me very sedated so my previous pdoc put me on various stimulants. I personally had no problems but my new pdoc wants me to stop taking them saying they could cause a psychotic episode. Do what your pdoc recommends. It's good you're starting on a low dose 

Just now, CeremonyNewOrder said:

Do what your pdoc recommends. It's good you're starting on a low dose 

He was more suggesting it but if no one here has had issues with it, I'd try it

I looked up on google what would happen if someone who didn't have Adhd took Ritalin and it was mostly nothing good!!

13 hours ago, swanny said:

I looked up on google what would happen if someone who didn't have Adhd took Ritalin and it was mostly nothing good!!

I don't have adhd and had no issues. They didn't make me super hyper or manic or anything. They just promoted a state of wakefulness and concentration. They are a good counterweight to the sedation of the antipsychotics. The only problem is you eventually create a tolerance to the med.

3 hours ago, CeremonyNewOrder said:

I don't have adhd and had no issues. They didn't make me super hyper or manic or anything. 

I am glad u had no issues but I was more concerned about it causing psychosis

Edited by swanny
mistake

If you take enough amphetamine, loads of it, you will go psychotic, but what do you expect when you are abusing the drug. The dose at which this happens varies but it is way above the therapeutic dose. The rare few will go psychotic on any dose. My pdoc said once "it is not making you psychotic so the dose is not too high". Given the large amount of people taking Adderall, if psychosis was a problem we would know about it. 

My experiences with tolerance is a short drug holliday makes it go away.

On 8/26/2020 at 2:05 AM, swanny said:

Tons of people take stimulants without an explicit adhd diagnosis 

I take ritalin and it hasn't caused psychosis for me. It promotes wakefulness to counteract sedating medications.