CrazyBoards.org

Weaning off Klonopin?

Hey Guys,

I'm currently on Klonopin daily ... 0.5mg in the afternoon and 1.25 at bedtime. I may need to wean off it to have some testing done...my cortisol levels are being investigated and the Klonopin may potentially have an effect on them so the doctors are thinking about taking me off it. 

It would only be temporary to get the tests done but I still think it would be hard because even at that low dose I think it's doing something for my anxiety.

Anyways, I'd like to wean off as fast as possible and would love some advice.  I've skipped the afternoon dose before without any problems but I imagine the evening dose might give me more difficulty.

Thanks,

Kelly

my pdoc worries about quitting klonopin cold turkey.  she said it can sometimes cause seizures because it's an anticonvulsant.  when i said i had been using it as rx'ed, .5 mg 2x/day, and then didn't feel so stressed so i quit, she asked how long since i'd taken it (2 days) and asked me to take half a pill that day, skip a day, and take half a pill the next day.  maybe you should call your pdoc or whoever rx'ed it and see if they think you need to taper off slowly or what. 

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/  Read that.  Probably won't be using dizazepam to taper as most US docs don't like it and if you're wanting to go quickly, I would suggest cutting out .25 mg for a week, mostly at bed, until your morning and bed doses are equalized and then do the remaining .25 mg, which would take you almost two months.  You could try .5 mg a week, but I wouldn't recommend, particularly if there's even a small seizure risk (such as Wellbutrin). Hope I've helped. 

OK,

I had to go off cold turkey and just about jumped out of my skin. It was awful. You need to get your p-doc to help you with this if it is temporary. I will never do that again. So I am the one who is different.

This is a very strong benzo. You are taking the same amount I am. I also take Nuerontin at night for sleep. The two seem to do the trick.

You might ask about Ativan for the inter rim. I have some of those for emergencies and they work pretty well. They are not as strong and don't last as long, but they might help while you are off of Klonopin.

People's experiences may have to do with the length of time they have been taking Klonopin. I have been on it for several years.

Breeze

Kelly,

Why are you taking k to begin with?  Maybe put the .5mg and 1.25mg together at bedtime.  I would suspect that you odc could rx something that actually works for you.  No reason to put a benzo in your system just for sleep.  Now if you're taking it for anxiety thats one thing.

Archived