CrazyBoards.org

Does Remeron have a non-ODT version?  Or would it be equally effective to swallow an ODT as opposed to having it dissolve itself?

(currently having sleep issues and trying to come up with something I haven't tried in a while)

4 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

Does Remeron have a non-ODT version?  Or would it be equally effective to swallow an ODT as opposed to having it dissolve itself?

(currently having sleep issues and trying to come up with something I haven't tried in a while)

Yes. Remeron has traditional tablet 

thanks @Iceberg.  Maybe it's worth trying.  I didn't fall asleep until 4am Saturday and midnight yesterday and Sunday night despite taking the trazodone at 6pm, so I think we can fairly say that it's not doing the trick. 

@dancesintherain

When I took trazodone, I took it brushed my teeth and got ready for bed then got right in bed. Then shut my eyes and laying quietly there while trazodone did it’s job until I fell asleep. I think if I took it an hour or more before I wanted to sleep I’d miss “the window of time”. By that I mean, IME for sleeping meds, when I take them I have to be pretty much ready to call it a night and be in bed. The period of it making me sleepy enough to help a little with me getting to sleep is a small “window of time.” Yours might be small too like mine.

I’ve never heard of taking any dedicated sleep med so early. I’m confused. Anyone else take dedicated sleep med hours before you want to sleep? Or are you trying to go to bed and sleep at 6:15 pm or so? I’m confused.

trazodone is widely used. When I was in the state hospital, pretty much everyone was on it. Have you experimented with different doses? Tried taking it at different times? I’d hate to see you give up on it. Did you just start it? How long have you tried it?

Also, ever tried different things for sleep hygiene like no screen time hours before bed? A white noise machine? Etc?

And I forget. Have you had a sleep study? Daytime and nighttime ones?

I really hope you can figure out your sleep issue(s). I really think if you have tried everything above maybe if you have not already, see a sleep clinic and get a daytime sleep study and a nighttime study too. I feel bad it’s so hard for you to sleep. Sleep is so important for us. I worry about you not getting enough sleep. 

hi cheese! thanks for writing.

I've been taking trazodone for about a month  I started at 12.5 mg for one day and then increased to 25mg and progressively higher from there.  I've taken it at 100mg for the past three nights.  I'm taking it as early as I do because it's when I take all my other medications.  The goal is to not have a hangover the next day (that's the reason for the early time).  Maybe that's not smart. 

I've done a sleep study and it revealed nothing.  Both day and night.  I've debated doing another. 

I feel like a month is a valiant try to get something to knock me out.  It seems like it does nothing.  I don't know why. 

EDITED - apparently it's only been 2.5 weeks.  Feels like longer.  Thanks to my moodtracking app I could get the details. 

Edited by dancesintherain

41 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

hi cheese! thanks for writing. My

I've been taking trazodone for about a month  I started at 12.5 mg for one day and then increased to 25mg and progressively higher from there.  I've taken it at 100mg for the past three nights.  I'm taking it as early as I do when I take all my other medications.  The goal is to not have a hangover the next day (that's the reason for the early time). 

I've done a sleep study and it revealed nothing.  Both day and night. 

I feel like amonth is a valiant try to get something to knock me out.  It seems like it does nothing.  I don't know why. 

EDITED - apparently it's only been 2.5 weeks.  Feels like longer.  Thanks to my moodtracking app I could get the details. 

Gotcha gotcha. Well darn. I just hate that you aren’t getting good sleep. Do you get hangovers when you try any sleep meds later when you go to bed actual time? Or doesn’t it matter either way? I’m sorry you are dealing with this crap. I wonder why it’s happening! It must be very frustrating. Ugh. Here’s hoping tonight brings good sleep for you. Crossing my fingers!

I've been dealing with daytime drowsiness (I've been getting 8-10 hours, just at crappy hours).  But not enough to sleep.  I've tried taking a nap and I just lie there.  So that's why I shifted it back earlier.  I'm going to stick with that through my appointment tomorrow so there's something consistent.  She may just tell me to take it later. 

I have a tendency toward weird reactions...fanapt for most people is taken at night because of sleep-inducing effects and I have to take it in the morning because it gave me extreme insomnia when I took it at night. 

Sorry, I didn't intend to sound dismissive of your suggestions.  They're helpful to keep in mind. 

3 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

I started at 12.5 mg for one day and then increased to 25mg and progressively higher from there.  I've taken it at 100mg for the past three nights.  I'm taking it as early as I do because it's when I take all my other medications.  The goal is to not have a hangover the next day (that's the reason for the early time).  Maybe that's not smart. 

If you are taking 100mg Traz, you still have some room to go up a bit, if your doc agrees........It takes 200mg for me to sleep.....Just a thought....

thanks CRH.  Good t know.  I was pessimistic because it seems like everyone takes it and it works for everyone so I expected it to work already for me.  Maybe I need a higher dose.  I'll talk with my pdoc tonight.  

23 hours ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

@dancesintherain

When I took trazodone, I took it brushed my teeth and got ready for bed then got right in bed. Then shut my eyes and laying quietly there while trazodone did it’s job until I fell asleep. I think if I took it an hour or more before I wanted to sleep I’d miss “the window of time”. By that I mean, IME for sleeping meds, when I take them I have to be pretty much ready to call it a night and be in bed. The period of it making me sleepy enough to help a little with me getting to sleep is a small “window of time.” Yours might be small too like mine.

I’ve never heard of taking any dedicated sleep med so early. I’m confused. Anyone else take dedicated sleep med hours before you want to sleep? Or are you trying to go to bed and sleep at 6:15 pm or so? I’m confused.

trazodone is widely used. When I was in the state hospital, pretty much everyone was on it. Have you experimented with different doses? Tried taking it at different times? I’d hate to see you give up on it. Did you just start it? How long have you tried it?

Also, ever tried different things for sleep hygiene like no screen time hours before bed? A white noise machine? Etc?

And I forget. Have you had a sleep study? Daytime and nighttime ones?

I really hope you can figure out your sleep issue(s). I really think if you have tried everything above maybe if you have not already, see a sleep clinic and get a daytime sleep study and a nighttime study too. I feel bad it’s so hard for you to sleep. Sleep is so important for us. I worry about you not getting enough sleep. 

I dont necessarily have to be in bed, but i definitely also have a "sleep window" phenomenon. I see seroquel XR in your sig, but what about low dose seroquel ir?  

Good to know.  I currently take 100mg IR PRN, which has translated into taking it every night. I'll edit my signature. 

So the short version is that I'm tasked with pushing when I take medication and when I try to go to sleep back by 30 minute intervals until eventually it's 10pm.  I'm starting tonight at 8pm.  I'm also supposed to get out of bed if I'm not asleep after 15-20 minutes and to go into the living room area until I feel ready to fall asleep again.  I'm cutting out the hydroxyzine (at my request) because it didn't seem to really be doing anything anyway. 

It felt like the equivalent of "just do it" for sleep.  I'm scared (that I won't get enough sleep and will start decompensating), disappointed, and frustrated/angry.  But i'll do it.