CrazyBoards.org

On 9/15/2020 at 6:59 PM, GrannyG81 said:

Ok to get straight to the point...Do we have any Alan Watts fans in here ?

Quite the character, sort of a hippie mystic zen-buddhist philosopher. I'm familiar with him, but have yet to read any of his material. Any books you'd recommend?

It says (per Wiki) regarding his intentions, Watts attempted to "lessen the alienation that accompanies the experience of being human that he felt plagued the modern Westerner."  Unsurprisingly, he was also pals with Aldous Huxley, I looked at his various publications....there are some interesting topics for sure...From 1960: "The Value of Psychotic Experience"

6 hours ago, Blahblah said:

Quite the character, sort of a hippie mystic zen-buddhist philosopher. I'm familiar with him, but have yet to read any of his material. Any books you'd recommend

Yes a real character...He has such a special charm about him...The way he describes the universe and life..He has this very unique way of explaining it....I havent read any of his books.....Theres loads of material on youtube...Its all free..I listen to him regular to help ground me.....Heres a small clip for you...Let me know what you think and i'll post some more 

Edited by GrannyG81
  • Like 1

I can relate to the worry-worry-worry about worrying, the vicious cycle of distraction...and then thinking-thinking-thinking to where you can't stand being alone by yourself, with no thoughts.

What do you think about his advice at the end? "You need to learn how to leave your mind alone, it will quiet itself...."  Makes me think of "Lose your mind" How does one do this, in a healthy functional way?

Is he sort of suggesting a daily meditation practice, or emptying your mind of all thoughts? Because I can indeed do this from time to time, but it feels like dissociating. And then eventually, you must come back to planet Earth, you know?

Edited by Blahblah

@Blahblah I've actually had similar where its induced anxiety/depersonalization....I'm gunna find you some of his longer talks as i dont think i could do it justice to be honest....I'm gunna find his talk about compulsive thinking..I'll tag you once i find it..

He seems a bit long-winded & tangential in this one. I wasn't sure I got his main point, but maybe I'm just feeling distracted when I tried to focus on it.