CrazyBoards.org

Light-box therapy experiences--Did it help?

My therapist has recommended getting a therapeutic light box since my depression gets even worse during fall and winter......I have never used one, so don't have much knowledge about choosing a good brand, or how to use it.

If you have ever used one, did it help any with your depression?.....All feedback welcome and appreciated...

I've tried using one on and off over the years (this model- https://www.sunbox.com/shop/10000-lux-bright-lights/sunlight-jr-2/) when docs thought they were treating unipolar depression or SAD; I've since been dx'd with BP II (but not sure that matters). I tried to be very methodical and consistent with it, but unfortunately felt that I derived no benefit. It's odd, tho, because I do experience definite seasonal changes in summer and winter. I'm sure a LOT more biology goes into it tho, than just photoperiods and light intensity. 

FWIW, I've also experimented with a dawn and dusk simulator, but experienced the same outcome. I'm pretty treatment resistant in general, tho, so it's probably just the way I'm wired. Others have reported improvement, and although I haven't looked in a long while, there was quite a bit of favorable published research at the time.

• Thanks 1