CrazyBoards.org

I have two friends that have always heard voices. Especially when laying in bed alone. Mostly just random people talking. It has never been a problem for them. The voices never tell them to do anything and aren't threatening. At most mildly disturbing. The voices don't come frequently, but they're there. They have had them since they were kids. It's not really a problem in their lives.

Of course I understand that voices cause big problems for most people, and I realize that they almost always need to be treated.

My question is, should these types of voices my friends have be treated with AP's? If it doesn't cause a problem, does it need to be treated? Don't most people have mild hallucinations from time to time? But the thing is, these are more than mild hallucinations. They are loud and clear.

What's your stance on this?

(I never hear voices, but I hear laughter and music when I'm really manic. They are controlled now by Geodon.)

I don't recall seeing a specific treatment recommendations for hallucinations. I think the general assumption is that they are part of a bigger psychological problem and which needs treatment.

This is where a Pdoc will say that you need much more information regarding the person's overall mental and physical condition. Hallucinations can be a symptom of a brain tumor, or drug abuse or side effects. 

Even supposing someone had hallucination and no other related psychological problems, I think that a Pdocs would also want to evaluate now, in order to establish a baseline condition for follow up monitoring.

I strongly disagree with your statement that most people have mild hallucinations some of the time. 

A.M.

I strongly disagree with your statement that most people have mild hallucinations some of the time. 

A.M.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not classical hallucinations, but seeing stuff in the corner of your eye and etc. From what I've heard from family and friends, that is quite common, but not "most people" perhaps. Btw, it was not a statement, it was a question, if you take a closer look.

Just wanted people's opinions. I agree that most pdocs would interpret it as a sign of something else going on. But if it's not? What's your opinion on giving AP's then?

Oh, just thought of something else. Sleep paralysis? Some people that experience sleep paralysis get hallucinations. I've never heard of that being treated.

sometimes mild auditory "hallucinations" increase to more upsetting levels along with other yukky stuff.

and yeah if I experienced them on a mild level I'd be concerned no matter when

they began. Of course I'd be wary of being labeled nutso so I'd think a lot about it

probably too long! before I got an evaluation.

Luli

Well, in theory, your friends aren't mentally ill, because there lacks the element of "harmful" to the dysfunction. Its like, the difference between people who like to clean and keep things orderly, and people who clean and keep things orderly out of anxiety/whatever.

I complained to the psych nurse (one of many late night trips to the ER) about hallucinations when I lie in bed, but she told me they happen to a lot of people, and have some strange name like hypnagogic hallucinations or something.

I think the saying, don't fix it if it isn't broken, applies here. These experiences with hallucinations would probably only come into play if they became a symptom of a distressing disorder.

I would say it's probably always a good idea to inform a doctor about them. Hallucinations can be symptoms of things besides mental illness, and they aren't very nice things sometimes. When I was in the hospital, I mentioned olfactory hallucinations, and I never had mentioned them before because I'd just lumped them with the auditory/ visual/ tactile ones. Turns out, those are much more common in people with brain injury, tumors and seizure disorders than they are in people with a history of psychotic symptoms.

An MRI revealed a spot on my brain of some kind, and a year later, another one. We still don't know what they are for sure, but I am extremely comforted by the fact that they have been noted and are being monitored.

Hypnogogic hallucinations can be placed in the broad spectrum of normal. But it's always best to get professional advice particularly if there is a family history of MI.

I'm a bit brain dead today, for now I'll just tell you you should read reality tests thread about the current research that's happening.

The old saying may be that if it isn't broken don't fix it, but that doesn't always apply. I waited till I really broke, now I can't think of a way to finish this sentence.

EARLY INTERVENTION is the key and...

fuck it just read rt's thread

Archived