CrazyBoards.org

Anyone ever deal with Hypersomnia? I exercise daily now and eat healthy, but I'm constantly having to nap. I sleep in until nearly 11am most days. I am really worried about the days getting shorter & darker. I cannot seem to get myself to do anything.

I guess I'm still depressed....because all I want to do is get through the day so I can sleep. I can manage to do a few things, but after lunch all I can do is nap because I just feel well... drained, empty. All my blood tests are completely in range & normal.

I've played around with my ritalin dosing schedule and it doesn't seem to have the same "energizing" effect, in fact I feel a bit too obsessive after it kicks in, and then just irritable & more tired when it wears off.

I have hypersomnia, but I tend to fall asleep suddenly and with little warning.  I am lucky enough to have a better response to ritalin for it.  I use a SAD lamp that Alexa turns on every morning at the same time and then an alarm.  It helps a little bit.  Sometimes I use it when I really need to stay awake, too.  

I hear you about it being hard to do things.  I feel and am tested as safe to drive now, but it is hard to sit down for a while and not get very sleepy.  The QC person was doing a meeting one day and my map was great except one spot and she was like were you falling asleep?!? and I just went ahead and admitted it.  

Oops, I just realized, I don't actually completely fall asleep when I "nap"... I just rest there (but can't get up or do anything, so I might as well be sleeping!) so technically, it wouldn't be considered hypersomnia - more like a chronic fatigue. I usually sleep 10-11 hours per night though, I assume even though it's a lot, it's maybe not "out of range"?

I relate @Blahblah.  When I am low I will sleep up to 14 hours and still have no energy.  Two years in a row I went to the doctor and had $600 worth of tests that showed nothing.  It's far worse in fall and winter.  This summer I had insomnia instead (11 to bed and boing wide awake at 3 am not fun either) but the lethargy is now setting in.  I hate when I sleep too much and I am too tired to do what I should , but I don't have a good solution yet.  So I am just saying I understand since I don't know how to help either of us.  Weekends it's not unusual for me to sleep 10-11 hours.  It seems like my internal clock doesn't work at all.

I'm dealing with this right now too. Since my new pdoc took me off my stimulant, I have my usual winter hypersomnia PLUS the sedation from clozapine. I've slept in until 2 pm and only been able to stay up until around 8-9 pm. I don't know what med to ask for that is not a stimulant and I've tried practically every AD that is suppose to be stimulating. 

17 hours ago, Complicated toad said:

I relate @Blahblah.  When I am low I will sleep up to 14 hours and still have no energy.  Two years in a row I went to the doctor and had $600 worth of tests that showed nothing.  It's far worse in fall and winter.  This summer I had insomnia instead (11 to bed and boing wide awake at 3 am not fun either) but the lethargy is now setting in.  I hate when I sleep too much and I am too tired to do what I should , but I don't have a good solution yet.  So I am just saying I understand since I don't know how to help either of us.  Weekends it's not unusual for me to sleep 10-11 hours.  It seems like my internal clock doesn't work at all.

Yeah, I've run the gamut of thyroid, vitamin, inflammation, tests, etc and nothing. The only test I haven't done is a sleep test for apnea, but I'm thin, I don't snore and I do feel like I've slept well when I wake up, I just can't "get going" ! I eat a health/varied diet and also exercise regularly.

15 hours ago, CeremonyNewOrder said:

I'm dealing with this right now too. Since my new pdoc took me off my stimulant, I have my usual winter hypersomnia PLUS the sedation from clozapine. I've slept in until 2 pm and only been able to stay up until around 8-9 pm. I don't know what med to ask for that is not a stimulant and I've tried practically every AD that is suppose to be stimulating. 

Ugh. That sounds awful. I'm not quite that bad, I begrudgingly get up by 10:30am-ish (usually) but the annoying part is I must always lay down/rest 2pm-4pm...then I go to bed at 11pm. I tend to feel more energized, at least mentally, from 9pm-2am... It's really not ideal. My circadian rhythms must be off genetically. Luckily, I'm not on a sedating med, I couldn't tolerate it.

My stimulant isn't doing much these days as far as energy goes, it mainly just helps with hyperfocus. I notice I am more tired after it wears off now. The IR is useless, I feel it a bit for maybe an hour and then I just get sort of drained/cranky. I don't want to depend on stimulants anyhow, I just don't know what else to do....None of the A/Ds are stimulating for me either! More like numbing...

I can tell you my experience but having doubts it will apply to many. For me, I discovered when I worked nights that I have some sort of biorhythm that demands I be up by a certain hour or my body resets and wants to be back in lengthy sleep mode again, and I suffer trying to wake up or stay awake. For me (and likely specific to me), if I get up between 5 and 6, it’s difficult for about 10 minutes but then I’m awake all day and good. When my job changed and I had to get up at 9, I suffered and wanted to sleep all day, and did when I could. I found my set time sort of by chance but I’ve had to go back to it a few times and the first few days or week are hard to do, then I am good. Using a SAD light during the crossover time has helped when I’ve done that but I haven’t always. I can tell you getting up the first few days seems impossible and misguided but then it’s like a switch is flipped after a few days. 

If you decide to try this, which I don’t expect, I have no idea how someone finds “their time”. I do know I can’t sleep in nor do I want to, because it messes me up and makes me sleep all day. And I do still sleep 8-10 hours now. If this helps anyone I am glad but I realize for most people they just don’t see it for them. 

@sugarsugar  This is interesting. I know that the body cycles through the different phases of sleep repetitively throughout the night. I've read that if you happen to wake up mid-phase (I think the REM phase) it is particularly difficult to snap out of it. Problem is, everyone has different phase lengths, so it's tough to know the ideal wake up time.

I've also read something about body temperature dropping (or melatonin increasing) around 2pm which can cause a slump.

There are probably some fancy expensive sleep tracker watches that claim to track your sleep phases, but I don't know how accurate they really are. Maybe I should get some sort of alarm that lights up when the sun rises? I seem to have more energy that kicks in around 10pm which is really annoying.

I found my time from working different shifts and finding the time that seemed best by chance. Then I found how key it was when I worked nights. So I don’t have a system to make this work for someone else I guess—did you ever have a schedule that worked well for you?  I had a clock that had a sunrise feature but found it annoying. I did better getting up and using a SAD light for maybe 5 minutes, very unscientific I know. I really rely on getting up on time so I can have a day. I wish I could know how someone could find their personal time. 

I have hypersomnia too. I usually go to sleep around 4am and wake up at 5pm so I spend most of my time asleep.

Edited by mcjimjam
Spelling