CrazyBoards.org

Does hearing voices that present inside your head count as hearing voices?  I mean as opposed to the type that are heard as if you are hearing with your ears, indistinguishable from the surroundings.  They are completely uncontrollable by me and I feel compelled to speak or do something as a result of hearing them sometimes, though they do not tell me to do anything.  I am pretty sure that they are some kind of mental subprocess that is completely out of my control.  I described this to my new therapist, and she was still concerned and asked for the number for my psychiatrist, so I was wondering.  I have an appointment with him on Friday, so I guess that I will ask him then, but I was kind of curious.  

Posted (edited)

Edited by coraline

@Banana Smurf

I don’t know either. When I hear voices that aren’t mine and thoughts that aren’t mine placed in and all inside my head completely, I and past pdoc’s have considered that to be my own internal junk. Those pdocs have always asked me if I hear the voices inside or outside of my head, so it must matter? I guess.

I hear voices that aren’t my head voice and not inside my head too that originate outside somewhere. Sometimes I go looking for the origin but I never seem to find the source. Mostly the sounds or voices revolve around my deepest fears but some have been bizarre. Like hearing my husband being sick for instance (which is an immense source of stress and fear for me), or just horrible and bizarrely like babies being murdered (that was awful.....husband had to come home and calm me down). Or sometimes just annoying chatter in the background that won’t stop and drives me batty.

The zyprexa I’m on now along with 2 other AAP’s, has helped moderately with the voices. Messages from the universe are still a regular occurrence but have been less frequent I guess too. I guess I’ll always deal with this stupid illness (SZA) but I’ve come so far from being institutionalized so many times for so long for such a huge chunk of my life. 

Posted (edited)

My psychiatrist was sick on Friday, so I still don't know.  I've been really thinking about it, though, and I have a feeling that it might be very removed intrusive thoughts because they talk about all my OCD crap like Satan and me harming people.  What I have to do is mostly things that I associate with OCD.    

Edited by Banana Smurf