CrazyBoards.org

Hi, Helena...

Here's a pretty lengthy thread on the subject: Generic Lamictal -- Yes, it IS available! Here are the details....

Don't know what the situation is in Sweden, but bottom line in the States: generic lamotrigine is identical to Lamictal. It is the same drug, same manufacturer. (For anyone who doesn't believe it, please read the above thread.)

I've been taking the generic since I started taking lamotrigine/Lamictal. No problems.

Heya Helena,

Depends on the manufacturer.

Here in Canada there are a bunch of generics.

There has to be at least 80% equivalence between brands/generics.

Rule that makes sense is:

If you start on the brand, stay on it.

If you start on a generic, stay on *the same generic.*

I started on the brand-name Lamictal.  My pharmacy has to special-order it b/c I'm the only one on the brand!!

;)

--ncc--

Heya Helena,

Rule that makes sense is:

If you start on the brand, stay on it.

If you start on a generic, stay on *the same generic.*

--ncc--

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seems reasonable.

Ok, just checked, there are at least six different manufacturers of lamotrigine in Sweden. The brand is made by GlaxoSmithKline. And then there's a bunch of generics.

So I think I'll call and ask her for brand Lamictal on monday.

isn't the generic the fast dissolve tablet?

i was wondering because i can't usually take those because they normally contain phenylalanine (sp?).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This was talked about in the thread I posted above.

1) Yes, it is the chewable disperable tablet.

2) No, it contains saccharin sodium, not phenylalanine -- just as the brand Lamictal does. This info comes from the PI sheets for both the brand and the generic.

Again in the States, apparently not elsewhere, it is identical. Many details to this. Anyone interested in the details should read the above thread.

In part, to quote Chinacat (and myself) from this thread:

I'm not sure if this answers the question, but I've found a few more pieces to the puzzle. Maybe someone else will know with certainty how to interpret this...

1) Looked again at Lamotrigine at the Complete Product List at Teva USA:

4) Looked up "n/a (2)" at Teva's TEE Ratings page: http://www.tevausa.com/default.aspx?pageid=30 -- according to this, n/a (2) means Therapeutic equivalent, manufactured and distributed under originator's NDA.

Bummer. ;) That sucks. I guess it's brand for you.

Don't want to go through the entire thread, but someone else in the original thread had the same problem.

Can't remember, but I think it's going to be awhile before the other strengths of Lamictal go generic; also don't think it will be under the originator's NDA at that point (so the usual Qs re: generic would apply). Sorry, don't have the info.

There has to be at least 80% equivalence between brands/generics.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

AFAIK, there is a rule that the generic must be within 10% of the brand (in bioavailability, not content).  But as the doctor says 20%, you may want to listen to the educated one.  ;)

This is the only difference.  If you have allergies to binding agents or such, than that is a consideration, but the chemical compound that makes a drug is 100% the same whether brand or generic.  Any perceived difference is most likely a placebo, and usually that placebo costs quite a bit.

Pastafarian:

Can't remember where you are located -- are you in Canada? If so, yes, in Canada as in several other countries, percentage of bioavailability is an issue.

Just to be sure for anyone else coming across this thread, again in the States the generic is identical to the brand. Absolutely the same bioavailability -- made by the same manufacturer (GSK) under their own original patent and only marketed by Teva, as a result of a lawsuit settlement.

Same thing.

Well, my pdoc called today after I tried to reach her on monday.

She said there is absolutely no difference between generic and brand. I guess that goes for Sweden, might be different in other countries.

But I trust her so I'm going to pick them up soon.

Archived