CrazyBoards.org

I tried gabapentin a good five or so years ago, but only for sleep so I was only taking it at night.  I was hypomanic on latuda (the PHP swore I was just anxious), so it didn't seem to do a lot, but I'm comfortable saying that wasn't a fair shot at the medication.

How critical is three times daily dosing?  I do really well with morning and evening, but I'm not so great at mid-day.  Anyone have any tricks of the trade to solve that problem?

I have a titration schedule...100 mg tonight, 100 *2, 100*3, 200*2, 200*3, 300*2 for three days, and then 300*3. 

I figure that I can start with the goal of remembering three doses per day, but I wanted to ask to try to address that in advance. 

I take all of mine at night.  Three doses a day would be hard for me to remember - can you set alarms on your phone?

good to know that all at once is possible.  thanks.  I guess I'll start out the way that she's written it but then ask her for a change if it's not feasible.  I'll do a phone alarm, thanks. 

Posted (edited)

Edited by coraline

Thanks @coraline.  That would make sense. I ended up messaging my pdoc and just asking if twice daily dosing was possible or if it was contraindicated.  She gave me a titration schedule for twice daily dosing, which will be easier to work with. 

Posted (edited)

I know someone just prescribed gabapentin.  Do you know if it commonly prescribed now for bipolar disorder?  I take depakote and lamictal but can't find much support online for gabapentin and bipolar.    

Edited by Will

I can't speak to its use for bipolar disorder.  Although it'll obviously impact my SZA since it's a medication in my blood stream, it's being prescribed for me for anxiety, sleep, and nightmares.  Sorry!  I don't think of it as widely used (if at all) for mood stabilization though.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Will said:

I know someone just prescribed gabapentin.  Do you know if it commonly prescribed now for bipolar disorder?  I take depakote and lamictal but can't find much support online for gabapentin and bipolar.    

I think the reason you can’t find lots of support is because there just isn’t a ton of conclusive evidence that it’s a solid stabilizer (depending on who you ask obviously, like anything else there are people who feel it’s helped.) ive had four pdocs for bipolar and none of them considered gabapentin a good idea to me a main mood stabilizer component. My point is, there are people who feel it helps but I think replacing a more common mood stabilizer that is at least somewhat effective might be taking a risk 

EDIT: to be clear here I was referencing you talking about your mood stabilizers. Obviously I don’t know anything about your friend so I was not trying to make assumptions and comment on their situation 

Edited by Iceberg

I take gabapentin for anxiety, it's been great for me for that.  I don't think it particularly stabilizes my mood, but then, I'm on other meds so who can say.

I was also on for anxiety at 600 TID... can’t tell if it worked cuz we also added round the clock Valium at the same time. Normally my pdoc subscribes to the one change at a time philosophy, but my functioning was going down the toilet fast 

My anxiety feels a whole lot better.  My sleep is marginally improved.  I'm falling asleep a little earlier, but still 2 hours after I take medication. 

On 10/1/2020 at 10:01 PM, Iceberg said:

EDIT: to be clear here I was referencing you talking about your mood stabilizers. Obviously I don’t know anything about your friend so I was not trying to make assumptions and comment on their situation 

You made the correct assumption.  I was wondering about gabapentin as a mood stabilizer. Thanks