CrazyBoards.org

Posted (edited)

I was in front of a group of people when I read the news and I laughed out loud, it was very embarrassing, I had to apologize. He's a human being after all.. on some level anyway. I think watching psychology in seattle talk about Mary Trump's book humanized him for me, no one loved him when he was growing up, and ok, he turned into a monster, but yeah. I mean lots of people had emotional neglect as children and didn't turn into monsters, but this is all just a reaction to pain and trauma and now he's inflicting it on everyone else because he never went to therapy

I hope the same thing I hoped for Boris: That somehow this experience opens his eyes and makes him a better person, empathetic, compassionate, interested in the welfare of others. and my id just wants him to ***

Edited by Antecedent

Oh I know, I laughed, but I don't wish death on the guy.  I have a friend who said, she hopes it isn't mild for him, because if it is, he might just minimize it's seriousness again.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Agreed. Surely if supreme leader gets sick that means it has to be taken seriously? But then if it's severe his white supremacist fans who don't believe the virus exists will say he is being secretly poisoned by democrats or something.

I wonder if he is going to take his immune-suppresant hydroxychloroquine, considering all the evidence suggests it increases the mortality rate. Hmmmm

Edited by Antecedent

Seriously.  You wonder if he has the sense not to take it.  

One of my friends told me there is a theory that him having it is a hoax.  Doesn't make sense to me, but what do I know.  Seems par for the course in America nowadays.

• Like 1

Update: they injected him with an experimental cocktail of "antibodies" and then flew him to the hospital with a high fever.

I am afraid that this will be like how the city of Toronto never got closure when Rob Ford came in, stomped around, and then promptly died. The US deserves answers, and Trump really should see this play out.

• Like 3

If it's like Rob Ford, the US will end up with Ivanka in charge...man, I voted for Tory strategically as mayor to keep DoFo out, look how well THAT turned out.

I heard Trump was off to hospital...clearly not that mild.

• Like 1

Just remember Pence is his predecessor.  I don't wish death on him.  Hopefully this will humanize him at best, and some his supporters will stop thinking prayer alone will save them from a potentially crippling, and deadly virus.

• Like 1

I stand in solidarity with the Orange Fuckmuppet! I hope he recovers just like I have.

• Like 1

The tweet shown above is more or less exactly what went through my mind when I read the news - it was a severe blow for atheists and agnostics everywhere as Donald Trump proved that there is a God. Or at least that Karma is a big, round bitch.

The lyrics from Chicago’s “Cell Block Tango” keep running through my head:

He had it coming
He had it coming
He only had himself to blame

What irritates me about all this is that even now - even now - Trump manages to twist our better natures against us by dragging us to his level. No, one shouldn’t wish an incurable, potentially deadly virus on anybody - as a six-year AIDS survivor I personally have a keener appreciation of this than most - and yet in this case, we do.

Because it is poetic justice, it is richly deserved, and it is absolutely delicious. I say that with no sense on hate or resentment or gloating or partisanship. Donald Trump, by every reasonable societal metric, is a toxic personality behaving in an abominable fashion, causing great harm to those around him with a clear dearth of empathy. (The term for this, by the way, is sociopathy.)

In a lawless, barbaric society, the cure for this would be the sword. We, however, have developed a civilization of laws and ethics which appreciate and value human rights and liberties and, indeed, life as an intrinsic imperative. That is to say, getting all stabby with people We don’t like is no longer acceptable because we wouldn’t want it for ourselves. We have reached a point of societal empathy wherein we have learned to ask ourselves whether the fate we wish on another is a fate we would wish on ourselves.

All to the good. The problem arises when we are confronted with an individual like Trump who blatantly doesn’t share this ethos. He stomps all over everyone and everything with his grubby boots on because he isn’t constrained by worrying about the rights or needs of others - it’s al about him. He’s functionally a black hole in human form, swallowing up everything that gets close enough. Our ethical framework has no mechanism to readily cope with someone who doesn’t interface with it at all.

The only sport I’ve ever been any good at (appropós swords) is fencing. And I’m not bad at it. But it is practically impossible to fence successfully with someone who knows absolutely nothing about how to use a sword because they just flail about in a wild and uncontrolled manner, as likely to do damage to themselves as to their opponent. They don’t interface with the framework.

So when we try to apply our ethical framework to a person like Donald Trump, we feel a dissonance - we know that our thinking is as it should be, but our hearts rebel because our system is also predicated on a balance of rights that we call justice, and in a case like this, justice fails.

So far, justice has failed bigly as concerns Trump. He has done and said so much outrageous shit, told so many bald and shameless lies, and as yet endured no consequence for any of it. Why is this a problem? Because if any person can do it with impunity, every person in an equal society will be entitled to try, and the only reason humans are able to live as social animals is that we understand that we can’t all have everything we want at the same time. Put simply, there could never be a human species made up entirely of Donald Trumps. Homo Trumpensis would annihilate itself within a generation.

Should we weep for this tragic, doomed species? Similar question: Should we weep for this tragic, doomed man who has caught COVID-19 for no other reason than his own stupidity and foolish obstinacy? The best medical advisors in the world counseled him. He had access to the greatest personal security network of any human on the entire planet. Had he chosen to secure himself from this threat, he could have placed himself beyond its reach. Instead, he went out if his way to thumb his nose at fate, and in the style of classic Greek myth, the gods have shown what happens when mortals thumb noses. He’s lucky he wasn’t turned into a bush in the Rose Garden and left there to listen to political speeches for eternity.

The immediate parade of world leaders and political figures piling on with variations on “We wish him a speedy recovery” was both a) sickening for its obvious insincerity and b) interesting in that it showed how figures of all political stripes rushed to grab the opportunity to show that they had not sunk to Trump’s level and were still capable of functioning within the shared human ethical framework of compassion and concern. The fact that the compassion an concern in this case was as real as a 3-Euro coin doesn’t matter (looking at you, Angela Merkel).

I don’t hope he suffers. I don’t hope he ends up on a ventilator. I don’t hope he dies - even though that would remove a proximal nexus of much current chaos, Trump isn’t the cause of America’s illness - he’s a symptom. I have no expectation that  he will “learn something” from this when and if he recovers; his psychological architecture depends upon himself never being at fault or responsible for anything negative - if he accepts one thing, he must accept others, and there will be so many that they will crush his psyche. Subconsciously he realizes this and therefore can never, ever permit it. This will be no different. This will be something that happened to him, or was done to him, which he overcame through his great virtue (or suffered because of someone else’s vileness), and his experience was unique and more significant than anyone else’s was or ever will be. Thus he elevates himself to an internal psychological pinnacle of such staggering height that eventually it simply becomes impossible to sustain in the face if reality and comes crashing down into total mental ruin.

That is what I weep for in Donald Trump as a man, as a tragic figure. He is desperately fighting a ferocious internal battle that he is not going to win, and he may be fighting it until the day he dies, COVID or no COVID.

But I also have concern for the souls his soul intersects with, which, as leader of the Free World, is a very great many, and though I may have compassion for his suffering, there are other lives that have to be considered, and weighed, in balance. Would it be better for the individual if he recovered? Yes. Would it be better for the body of those he affects if he recovered? Probably not. Placing the needs of the many on the scale against the needs of the man, the scale tilts in preference of one outcome over another - and this is scale is not the same as the scale of justice.

As you can tell, the Cerberus Little Wonder Analytic-O-Matic Positronic Brain has thought a lot about this for the last couple of days, and spent far too much time wording it out. Having done this, I just received a notification that a high school friend of mine just tweeted:

I’ve just been diagnosed with schadenfreude.

I always did love her.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Having done this, I just received a notification that a high school friend of mine just tweeted:

I’ve just been diagnosed with schadenfreude.

I always did love her.

ROFLMAO!!!!   

As a coronavirus survivor, in my fantasy life Trump will be humbled by his illness and follow in Chris Wallace's footsteps when he said on Friday, "Just wear the damn mask! Follow the science!" Of course Trump hasn't been able to admit he's been wrong or say he's sorry in his entire life, so I don't think that even hospitalization will change that pervading personality defect. But I can fantasize...

I was lucky that I had moderate symptoms and didn't have to be hospitalized. It wasn't the sickest I've ever been, but it lasted the longest - I had symptoms for two weeks, followed by another two weeks of crushing exhaustion. I'm sure that hospitalization for Trump is nothing like it is for everyone else, and won't be humbling in the least. I don't wish anyone illness or death, but if Trump survives I will admit I dread hearing about how he had the worst case of coronavirus, excuse me, "China virus", than anyone in the world ever had, how the doctors couldn't believe how fast he recovered, etc., etc., ad nauseum. There aren't enough negative adjectives in the English language to express my feelings about him. 

In my fantasy life, this episode also makes Trump's supporters finally realize that the virus isn't a hoax, wearing a mask protects you and also everyone around you, and is a civic duty. But since I realize "civic duty" is an unknown concept to any of the selfish assholes who say that wearing a mask impinges their freedom, I also have a realistic view that this whole episode probably won't change anything for the better. 

Fuck it, I'm going back to bed at 2:15 in the afternoon...

• Like 1

I want his case to be serious enough that he’s not walking around smiling and waving in two days and claiming Covid isn’t that bad.

• Like 4

I know this may be mean of me but I literally believe that if he died hundreds of thousands of people not only in the US but around the world would be saved. Donald Trump is the greatest threat to humanity and the planet and is a sociopath. Trump WILL NOT BE BE CHANGED BY THIS. If he survives, he will say see this virus is no big threat and its just the democrats trying to rig the election. Trump has no empathy for anyone but himself. HE HAS ALREADY ENDORSED WHITE SUMPREMACY AND POLITICAL VIOLENCE. If he looses the election, he probably won't step down and may launch a coup. Our environment may no longer be able to recover from his rollback of environmental protection at home and abroad. Here in California we now have perpetual fire season. I hate him so much. I have no sympathy for him. 

• Like 2

I watched his videos where his throat was sore. I had to struggle to remind myself this was Donald white supremacist, out-of-court-settlement-for-pedophelia-charges Trump because everyone in the world sounds so gentle and nice with  sore throat. Lord help my meagre savings if a telemarketer ever rings me with a sore throat

Even if he’s well enough to go home tomorrow, his handlers would be taking a big risk. It is very common for Covid patients to experience a “crash” 7-10 days in. I did, and I was sicker than I’d been on day 3. It was a devastating setback to the little bit of recovery I’d begun, and, while I have no way of proving this, I think it’s connected to how bad I continue to feel.

During that crash it was hard to feed myself - literally physically difficult to get the fork from the plate to my mouth. It was the only time I thought seriously of going to the hospital.

I’m not an obese 74 year old man who abhors exercise. I don’t spend my time training to Ironman competitions, but before this, I was reasonably fit, and had perfect BP, cholesterol, etc. If the Fast Food Aficionado in Chief gets hit like I did, it’ll be straight back to the hospital in a panic.

He’s getting the best medical care in the world, so I assume he’ll survive, but the “optics” of that situation would be terrible. And if he gets post-Covid syndrome like I have, I’m telling you, he would be in no uncertain terms unfit to run this country. 

• Like 1

Well and even he does go home, the White House has a medical suite (or so I hear).  So it doesn't mean that much.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Edited by coraline
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Gearhead said:

And if he gets post-Covid syndrome like I have, I’m telling you, he would be in no uncertain terms unfit to run this country. 

I'd argue that would not be a new development  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Gearhead said:

It is very common for Covid patients to experience a “crash” 7-10 days in. I did, and I was sicker than I’d been on day 3.

I forgot about this part. This also happened to me, it was on day 10, maybe 11? And it was a crash, I thought I was nearly well and the next day I woke up sicker than at the start. I didn't go to the hospital but I did have two telemed appointments two days in a row at the request of the doctor, it was clear they were very worried. I live alone and have some risk factors so it wasn't unreasonable on their part. It did freak me out, though, especially how far and fast that I fell. 

I think Trump's doctors would be crazy to let him talk them into letting him out tomorrow, because if he crashes, he'll be wheeled out of the White House the next time. It's terrible that he went for a ride today to wave at people and has potentially sickened or killed the others in the vehicle with him. The presidential vehicles all seal up tight enough to protect from chemical attacks, so it was a criminal act to knowingly expose others like that. 

• Like 2