CrazyBoards.org

Posted (edited)

Has anyone heard of using ice cubes for panic associated with delaying or fighting off compulsions associated with OCD or any other kind of panic?

My therapist suggested trying it to help lessen panic to delay compulsions. 

I thought it might be kind of iffy.  I tried it though, and it did break my rising anxiety, but it caused a different kind of anxiety because I was so disgusted.  I had to wash my hands to get rid of the feeling of water worming out of my hand, and it might have been counterproductive.  Maybe cold packs are better?

Edited by Banana Smurf

no, never heard of that! but it's in the realm of "shock the brain out of its [unhealthy] autopilot mode", one would expect? 

To that end, I suspect a cold pack wouldn't do it, unless it's frozen and you shove it right into your armpit or nether regions?

I would love to find something that snapped me out of my compulsive self loathing so keep us updated please.

Pete

I don't think it will work at all because I don't want to do it because it is too aversive.  It is also impossible to do in a lot of situations like driving and circling around an area and making sure that I didn't run over anyone.  There is no freezer there, plus it is more important because that is actually somewhat dangerous and not just a massive waste of time.  Trying to resist compulsions is just giving me another weird tic that seems more involuntary.  

I've used ice for anxiety before, but not for a compulsion.  It's part of a DBT skill (TIPP) designed at getting  you to re-regulate when you're extremely dysregulated.  I don't really have compulsions, though, so I'm not sure what it would look like.  In anxiety it can be helpful to get my heart rate down and to slow down my thoughts.  That said, all of your reasons for why you don't like it make sense to me.  When I use it, I do an ice pack. 

I'm not sure if that helps at all.  Just thought it might help to hear that it's not completely out in la-la-land. 

That's cool, I have never done therapy with a practitioner that used DBT, I think.  I had a lot of success years ago with ERP with compulsions, but I don't think that would be easily found right away with my insurance.  I will tell her that I am not that open to that variant of that particular technique and ask about variations.  I did a quick google search and saw something about eating the ice or using hot sauce.  However, I am somewhat afraid that it would be exchanging one ritual for another ritual, as well.  

On 10/12/2020 at 8:32 PM, dancesintherain said:

I've used ice for anxiety before, but not for a compulsion.  It's part of a DBT skill (TIPP) designed at getting  you to re-regulate when you're extremely dysregulated.  I don't really have compulsions, though, so I'm not sure what it would look like.  In anxiety it can be helpful to get my heart rate down and to slow down my thoughts.  That said, all of your reasons for why you don't like it make sense to me.  When I use it, I do an ice pack. 

I'm not sure if that helps at all.  Just thought it might help to hear that it's not completely out in la-la-land. 

I went back to the shrink today and told her that I didn't like the ice cube thing but I would like some other grounding technique and she told me to try washing the dishes and to focus on each of 5 senses and maybe put on music or something.  That seems great because I love the sensation of water but I hate washing dishes so if I decide washing dishes will make me more sane, I might start doing them more regularly.  That seems like a DBT skill, too.  I love meditation, maybe I could get into this mindfulness stuff.