CrazyBoards.org

I have a few reasons to stop drinking (physical and mental health), but I have been ambivalent. I have tried stopping before or moderating, but I don't stick with it. I went to SMART Recovery meetings but they only offer a few meetings near me. (they do have on line meetings). I was resistant to trying AA because it seemed too religious for me.  But, today, I decided to give it a chance.  I found a virtual meeting and zoomed.  It was good.  They have one at the same time every day.  I am, going to try to go tomorrow, too.

I've been in AA for about 9 years and now sober for 3 years. Right now I do online meetings through a website InTheRooms. 

I've done SMART before but there were not enough meetings near me.

The important thing is to find a recovery method that works for you and stick with it.

• Like 1

If you find a good group with good people it is worth it.  I am not particularly religious, but the steps are really helpful.  Fourth step you learn a lot about yourself and what drives your drinking.  Third you learn how to let go, realize you can't control everything that happens.  They are good lessons.  There are groups not so religiously driven but driven by the growth and strength that comes from sharing a healing journey with others.  I say if it was a good experience, give it a try.

• Like 1

I think it's worth trying, for sure.  I tried OA and couldn't get past the higher power thing, but I also know people who have been sober 20+ years thanks to AA.  

I'm trying to reduce what I drink - I think I was drinking problematically - I'm on day 3 no alcohol.  For me, I want to reduce, and have drinking be an occasional thing, not a daily thing.  

• Like 1

Well, I had two glasses of wine last night - it was my brother's birthday.  I suppose that's an occasion I'd want to be able to have a drink.  

Now I'm looking forward to at least 4 days (to my husband's Friday, but even then, I'd like to go alcohol-free) sober.  

It's interesting, once I'd split the wine with husband (it was a Zoom celebration) I wanted to open another bottle, but I kept that too myself and pushed through.  So I was pretty proud about that.  

• Like 1

On 10/19/2020 at 7:28 AM, jarn said:

Now I'm looking forward to at least 4 days (to my husband's Friday, but even then, I'd like to go alcohol-free) sober.  

That's a lot like how I did it the last time.  I decided to try getting through Friday.  Then I tried to get through a weekend.  Then I made a new goal of making it through the week.  Next weekend challenged myself to another week.  Then it was try to get to my birthday.  I hit my birthday and said okay I will see if I can get through to Thanksgiving.  I kept setting new goals until enough time had passed that the cravings and habits had lessened enough that it was not a battle anymore.

• Like 2

If the best thing going around you is AA, just do your best to think about the higher power differently. What's bigger than me? Humanity. As a humanist, I believe that people make life meaningful, and people can solve their problems. I believe that people are inherently worthy of respect. What else is bigger than me? The universe. The laws of physics. The fact that, as my screen name implies, a star had to explode in order for us to exist, and our existence is intertwined with a planet full of relatives. Evolution means that all life is related.

Whatever your truth is, just replace the higher power nonsense with that. Most of the time, it works as it's intended to, in my experience.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Complicated toad said:

That's a lot like how I did it the last time.  I decided to try getting through Friday.  Then I tried to get through a weekend.  Then I made a new goal of making it through the week.  Next weekend challenged myself to another week.  Then it was try to get to my birthday.  I hit my birthday and said okay I will see if I can get through to Thanksgiving.  I kept setting new goals until enough time had passed that the cravings and habits had lessened enough that it was not a battle anymore.

Yeah it's Wednesday now, I've been tempted a few times, but it really has been okay.  I'm actually feeling a lot better.  

• Like 1

I guess I am really doing this. I asked a woman to be my sponsor and she said yes. I will call her tonight. 

• Like 2

Good job to both of you, @confusedand @jarn!   Having a sponsor is good in many ways - someone to hold you accountable, someone to lead you through the program and how it can help you, and most important is that you'll now have a new support system available whenever you need it.

• Like 2

Thanks @Complicated toad!  We had some wine Friday, but NONE yesterday - and believe me, I was like 'blah blah it's the weekend' but I made my water with lemon and that made me feel better.  I pushed through the craving, which I had most of the day off and on.  

@confused, how're things with you?

• Like 3

I am keeping with it. My sponsor has me calling her every day, for a brief check in. I have cravings but I can deal with them.  Thanks for asking.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, confused said:

I am keeping with it. My sponsor has me calling her every day, for a brief check in. I have cravings but I can deal with them.  Thanks for asking.

That's great!  I'm so pleased for you!

• Like 1