CrazyBoards.org
BostonGirl123

Getting social contact when working from home

I'm now thinking of applying for some "work from home" call center jobs. But I'm worried that I won't get any social contact "in real life" and that this will negatively impact my mental health. I live alone, and if I don't go to work or somewhere in public every day, I start getting extreme anxiety and start feeling like I'm "going crazy" and "out of control". When I go out in public I get moderate anxiety, when I'm alone I get severe anxiety. I know this sounds "weird" but it's been like this for many years.

Before COVID, I could at least go to the library or fast food restaurants if I felt like I needed social contact. Now with COVID, there aren't that many options. The library is closed, and the local coffee place doesn't allow dine in. 

Where can I go to get social contact, if I start working from home? I need to actually be around other people. Talking on the phone  doesn't feel the same for me. 

I feel bad writing this and knowing that many people, for one reason or another, may be housebound and unable to get social contact at all. But knowing myself, I will end up in a mental health crisis if I don't be around other people, in real life, every day. 

Is there any way around this? Or should I stop considering "work from home" jobs?

I am living with somebody else most of the time, but he is gone for quite a while semi-regularly.  I tend to go nuts from lack of social interaction.  It is not because I like it; it is as you described, the level of baseline anxiety gradual rises until it is to the level of the worst social anxiety for some reason that I don't understand.  I found some place that is doing in person therapy, I walk to a nearby dollar store most days and go inside and buy an energy drink, my therapist gave me the name of some kind of mental illness club or clubhouse or something that is still allowing people to come in-person.  

Edited by Banana Smurf
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Banana Smurf said:

I am living with somebody else most of the time, but he is gone for quite a while semi-regularly.  I tend to go nuts from lack of social interaction.  It is not because I like it; it is as you described, the level of baseline anxiety gradual rises until it is to the level of the worst social anxiety for some reason that I don't understand.  I found some place that is doing in person therapy, I walk to a nearby dollar store most days and go inside and buy an energy drink, my therapist gave me the name of some kind of mental illness club or clubhouse or something that is still allowing people to come in-person.  

Thanks. I guess I could go to a grocery store or convenience store every day and just buy a drink or one or two items. I hadn't thought of that for some reason. I usually only go shopping once a week and buy everything I need, obviously I can't do that every day, but I could buy a drink or another small item every day, like you said. 

I don't know if you're driving or walking or taking the bus, but I live in the suburbs so have a car. I also live alone and I find that getting a tea from Starbucks and sitting in my car and watching and hearing other people in the background is useful, even if I don't actually talk to anyone. I usually just read the paper on my phone but it's nice to see movement around me. Now that it's finally cool enough to be outside again, I also like to go to a park nearby where lots of people walk their dogs. It's not a true dog park, but there are lots of dogs nonetheless.

• Like 1