CrazyBoards.org

How do I approach this subject of possible ADD with my pdoc? It’s been brought up in the past but proper testing was never completed so I was never treated for it or diagnosed. I take nuvigil to muddy the picture even more (for sleep disorders, though). And I know stims aren’t good for psychosis or mania either.

As a child I got lost in my head. I would climb on my desk and I remember the teacher yelling at me like “what are you doing? Get down and listen!” And I remember watching my friends swing on the swing set only to get distracted and lost and next thing I know all the kids are almost back to the school entrance (recess over) and I’m daydreaming by the swing set still!

But it spilled over into my adult life as well. I run around this home of ours like a chicken with no head. I start a million things at once bouncing from here to there all over. I don’t finish anything. (I’m not manic) I have to use a giant planner to get maybe 2 tasks completed.if I’m lucky and can remember to stay on top of looking at my planner throughout the day to focus on what I need to do. I’m so exasperated with my brain! It’s so rotten!

I just asked a psychiatrist about it straight up and she asked me some questions about it and sent me to a psychological assessment with computerized tests and neuropsychological tests and whatnot and received a rule-out diagnosis of ADD because they weren't really sure.  They had historical questionnaires for two family members and someone that was currently close to me if I can recall correctly.  The neuropsychological tests seemed like they were also helpful for my psychologists/psychiatrists to clarify my other problems.  I think they usually do less testing, though.  

I brought it up with my Pdoc, who sent me to a psychologist for a few hours of neuropsychological testing. I wasn't given historical questionnaires for anyone. In the end the psychologist found I did have some deficits, but attributed them to anxiety. I discussed my disagreement with this with Pdoc, who is a good listener and pretty collaborative about my care, and he went ahead and prescribed me adderall anyway, which helped for a few years (though it did initially make me hypomanic and got me the bipolar diagnosis and an AAP). What I really wish for are the kinds of services I imagine I would have gotten as a diagnosed kid that would teach me strategies for working around the ADHD. So frustrating.

I was diagnosed several years ago with no testing at all, and I doubted it as just a trendy diagnosis. But meds did help me. Years later my current pdoc said he very much doubted the diagnosis but after a year or so he changed his mind. No testing, just working with me. It’s a balancing act with the bipolar meds but it works and without the concerta I accomplish nothing. So if you feel strongly, I would consider persisting with discussing it and see if you get anywhere. That’s not helpful maybe but I think ADD in adults gets blown off.