CrazyBoards.org

Prednisone--OK I should have known better

OK, no comments about being stupid--but--WHY DIDN'T I KNOW WHAT STRAIGHT ORAL PREDNISONE WOULD DO TO ME?

I had to start on it today--epidural did not work on back, inflammed nerve root unbearably.  so Ortho doc put me on a prednisone/medrolpack.

I am losing my mind--I have never felt like this--I am litterally shaking and screaming and feel like my skin is coming off. 

So do I stop it and just let my back fall apart?  Or what??

really, folks, off the wall batshit manic crazy--

china, at new heights and/or depths--now REALLY AFRAID

China:  Too bad the epidural didn't work.  That's a big time bummer.  I got hypomanic on oral prednisone.  The epidural got me going a bit, but nothing like the oral steroids.  I had to stop them immediatly and take strong pain meds to deal with the leg and back pain.  I'm guessing your doc prescribed the oral steriod to see if they would decrease the pressure on your nerves through their anti-inflamitory effects.  Hang in there!  Talk to your doc.

OK, well, the Ortho doc on call said, "well, oops, if you are BP, you will probably get pretty manic, etc.  But if it makes your leg pain better, you'll have to choose."

Gee whilikers doc,  great choice.  Yeah, my leg is a little better, but can I walk better simply because I am sweating my ass off and want to run up the walls and tear off my skin and just don't care about my leg/back pain?  You think?

china, facing the choice of a lifetime--suggestions are welcomed, encouraged, and badly needed.

;)

P.S.  Just scared the shit out of my BP son with a really frantic phone call to him telling him not to let any oe ever prescribe Prednisone for him.  Good thinng he knows I am crazy already--

OK, no comments about being stupid--but--WHY DIDN'T I KNOW WHAT STRAIGHT ORAL PREDNISONE WOULD DO TO ME?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, I didn't read the very fine print that mentioned psychotic reactions as a

possibility until I was cycling between homicidal and suicidal 1-2 times an

hour.

Well, 1) I don't currently have a Pdoc--new one next week and

2) this is not an allergic reaction, no rash, just hyper and

3) Benadryl makes me even more hyper than this.

What a pharmacological hoot I am!!

I b elieve I will sticlk with the pain meds (Tylenol #4 LOL) and flag the Prednisone--

Or maybe I will just go jump out in traffic--or kill the cat *(my usual desire and attempt when I get crazy--)  But never been quite this crazy, so hard to choose--

china--off the FUCKING WALL

(And out of Klonopin)

Yeah China, taking pred is like throwing gasoline on the fire.  My girlfriend saying "I'm getting a glass of water" could make me go raging from 0 - 100mph in about 1 second.

You might discuss with your Ortho doc about taking something to offset the steroid psychosis like large doses of Risperdal or Seroquel or Haldol or some other AP. 

Thing is, the steroids are the one drug that can actually improve the back problem.

This is one of those situations where being a bit overmedicated on AP's would be preferable to laying around in agony.

A.M.

?  So what's the deal with the the cat? Don't particularly care for cats or just the one you have?    ;)

- Not throwing any stones.  I used to have a cat who wasn't very bright and would infuriate me from time to time.

3) Benadryl makes me even more hyper than this.

What a pharmacological hoot I am!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aw man! Bipolars get all the good reactions!

(Says the guy who has taken speed to get some sleep)

I believe I will stick with the pain meds (Tylenol #4 LOL)

and flag the Prednisone--

(And out of Klonopin)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's something therapeutic about fantasizing about ways to push the doctor

who prescribed it into traffic... (I *said* I wasn't kidding about my moods!)

Seriously though,

If you *can* gut it out until the med wears off (this seems to be the preferred

treatment.    ;) ), this is really "huddling in a corner with a blanket

around me" time for **anybody**.  The only things I've pulled up recommended

for keeping someone on prednisone while being driven nuts by it are Ambien

and Xanax... (klonopin if you had it) 

It's not MY back that's in pain. But I don't think I could go through a round of

steroid therapy without a stiff benzo regimen.  So if it were me, I would let

the back go until the treating doctor or the new pdoc is able and willing to

go that route.  But it's not me who is hurting.

CC

Took pred. for ulcerative colitis some years ago, you have a hard decision to make, but let me tell you I would rather go through any type of withdrawal compared to Pred., and I tapered down, too. It was terrible. I am so sorry you are experiencing this. Hope more people chime in on this issue, I do hate steroids, although they have magical healing powers they are very hard on the body, and the mind, good luck. You wil be in my thoughts.

Syl

Well, I am allergic to all the atypicals--have weird ESP/dyskynetic things, so that eliminated them.  And Xanax is the ONLY drug, legal or illegal, that I ever had withdrawal from, and after only 2 days.  I told you, a HOOT!  I would however, kill for a couple of Klonopin--sigh---not refillable till the 10th, or at least Monday.

I am now exhausted--talked to doc, am putting the steroids on hold at least till the AM, just want to sleep. So its pain meds, and Ambien, and hopefully sleep.  Leg/back is a bit better, but hard to tell so soon if the evil Pred. helped or not--after all, I only took 3 tiny little pills and this is what happened!!

For the time being, I choose pain, I guess.  Too bad--we may never have clean clothes, or food or a clean kitchen again, but at least I am not trying to get the wrinkles out of the sheets like I was a while ago.

BTW, AM, I love the huge old black cat that shares my name--she must weigh 30 lbs. And she loves me dearly, even tho she likes to bite me.  But she let me help deliver her kittens some years ago, so we go way back.  Its just that she is the only animate object here, usually, when I get whacked.  And its kind of a joke, because I can't even pick her up--as for strangling her, physivcaly impossible. But its my hubby's and my standard for just how crazy I am--"are you trying to kill the cat?"

china, nodding off now, mania dispersed, pain awaiting arrival of codeine which is digesting as we speak.  Thanks, guys--

Heya ChinaRN,

Ah honey, the choice to take prednisone or to put up with pain is so damn hard.

I can't imagine the pain you're in.  For me, fear of mixed is huge, but I've not had anything like the back pain you're going through, so it's a hard, hard dilemma.

Try to get some sleep and think about it in the morning.

--ncc--

Hey ChinaCat,

Sorry to hear about your back and that the steroids suck for you! 

A couple of suggestions:

1.  For muscle relaxants, try Soma/Carisoprodal.  I have tried every type of muscle relaxant for my back and I always go back to Soma.  It makes me sleep deeply and my back and neck are usually better in the morning. It works and its cheap.

2. When my back froze (I could not get off the floor for a few days) the thing that REALLY WORKED was acupuncture with electrical stimulation.    The Acu-doc came to my house and did his thing while I was still stuck on the floor.  I could get up and walk after one treatment.  It took about 6 more treatments for the spasms and pain to go away completely.  It seemed miraculous.

3. One more thing: Since you have a cat, do you have catnip in the house?  Brew a strong tea of it.  Do not use a metal spoon, strainer, or cup.  It will affect the brew.  Steep the tea with a ceramic or glass saucer over the cup to seal in the steam and oils.  The medicinal properies are in the steam. Allow it to steep for 15 minutes.  You want a strong brew.  If you dislike the flavor, try adding some peppermint.  Catnip is classified as a nervine in herbology.  It calms the nerves themselves.  I find it really helpful when I feel like I am going to crawl out of my skin.

I hope that this helps.  My thoughts are with you.

Blessings,

Zaliyah

CC,

gah woman

I'm waffling between wanting to laugh at your great sense of humor

"sum folk just need killin"

and baying at the sky

why  why  why do the good people have to suffer

I actually used the predisone to pull an all nighter/on purpose

nasty stuff that

sorry haven't read any previous threads describing  w h y  you are in so much back pain

is there possibly a doctor where you use to live that could come to the rescue with a rx??

wishful thinking, sorry

Oh good lord, I'm sorry....the only way I'd know about prednisone, is that my dying arthritic dog was on it for about six months and it literally killed him.  Made him pee 16 thousand times a day and just took everything out of him.  He was on it because of massive pain and cancer.  I'd never even look at the stuff after seeing the horror of what it did to my poor baby rottie....  ;)

News flash for Sun AM--ONE prednisone was almost as bad as 3.  I DID manage to get about 4 hours sleep last nite, but am still totally immobalized.

And have lost about 8 lbs., so am skinner than ever--which is quite odd for a previously "chubby" lady.

I am calling doctor this AM--he is going to have to call me in something else for pain, or admit me NOW and give me IV meds.

I am over this--I give up--I can't do it any more.

china

P.S.  Rotties are my favorite dog--I used to have one, named Caber.  Miss that dog--

Shit I miss everything--

News flash for Sun AM--ONE prednisone was almost as bad as 3.  I DID manage to get about 4 hours sleep last nite, but am still totally immobalized.

And have lost about 8 lbs., so am skinner than ever--which is quite odd for a previously "chubby" lady.

I am calling doctor this AM--he is going to have to call me in something else for pain, or admit me NOW and give me IV meds.

I am over this--I give up--I can't do it any more.

china

P.S.  Rotties are my favorite dog--I used to have one, named Caber.  Miss that dog--

Shit I miss everything--

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Glad to hear you are going to check in with the doc again....you need some freakin' relief!  Don't give up girl.  Anyone who loves rotties as much as I do must be quite an intelligent lady. ;)

His name was Nero and he was the best dog I ever knew....

damn China, there's nothing i can do & i want to badly......all i can do is say i am hoping & praying you get resolution soon.  i check w/your thread several times a day, hoping you've had some relief.

eek china i hope you get some better pain meds soon.  prednisone sucks.  tapering off prednisone sucks ass too.  if they want the swelling to stop, will an NSAID help like prednisone would?  celebrex is my friend.  maybe celebrex and some soma or something? 

i hope you feel better soon.

and i hope someone smacks your husband upside the head and shows him the way to the grocery store.

penny

Well, I finally got the doc on call to call me back (ortho doc)--after an hour.  Before I ould finish telling him what was up, he infomred me "we don't preswcribe pain meds on the weekends" and I should go to "an ER" if I feel so baad.  I had to ask what er--I havent lived here long, dont' know what hospital they use.  He said, "Halifax" and literally hung up on me.

I am at a loss as to why people and profesionals in this place are as incompetent and uncraring as they are.  I don't undertstand why people here are just plain mean.  I want to go home, I hate it here, and I have now spent another day on the couch taking the fucking codeine and trying not to get hysterical with the continuous pain.

My husband has finally figured out he has to get groceries, and has gone there.  I will start in the AM, calling the Ortho doc's office, and trying to figure out what to do.  There is nothing but surgery--how long willthat take to schedule and do?  What do I do in the meantime?

Why don't people believe me when I tell them that this is unbearable pain and that I CANNOT take the prednisone  That I will not sacrifice my sanity for the "chance" of some relief "maybe"?

china

Archived