CrazyBoards.org

dancesintherain

getting rid of diet coke/coke zero

I have an unhealthy diet coke/coke zero habit.  I drink way too much.  I'm not going to say how much because it's embarrassing.  It's making a dent in my pocketbook because when I'm ordering food, I have to order multiple drinks too.  And it's probably not good for my complaining kidneys or possibly my skin.

I know in theory that I can go without it.  When I was hospitalized (7/2020) they didn't have soda on the unit.  I drank water and gatorade.  The gatorade was more because my blood pressure was too low.  But  I dove back into my habit as soon as I got out.

So my therapist directed me to talk to my pdoc about it.  Not that it's an addiction, per se, but there are elements to which it would be good to have her input. 

In the mean time--anyone have tricks for cutting out diet soda?  I don't think I can cold turkey it, so that suggests some sort of gradual titration process.

I think we've talked about this when I cut back my 2-4L diet pepsi/day habit.  I knew that if I had some, I'd keep drinking the usual amount, so I did go cold turkey.  I do still get cravings, but not as strong as they were.

I have water (soda stream or tap) with lemon juice added.  And I drink more tea now - I had three pots today.  

I don't know if I was addicted, but - I would crave it hugely.

Aww I'm glad I inspired you!  I know it's way healthier.  

I know you can do this!

🙂

My psychiatrist was unfortunately not helpful.  I asked for ideas and she was like "well, cut back progressively, but you know it might make you more tired."  And I was thinking "no shit sherlock" but didn't say it. 

I think I'm going to work with buying fewer drinks from uber eats (that's the main way that I get the coke zero to me - -I don't usually store it in the house). 

That's smart.  I'd get it from Uber Eats or big bottles from the shop in our complex.  I avoided the shop for awhile as I was worried the temptation would be too much.

Oh and for sedation - I don't drink coffee but tea was helpful.  With that said, I had a migraine for the first three days of giving it up.

I get my groceries delivered mostly (I'll go in for a few items here and there), so I have to resist the online click.

I currently largely have decaffeinated tea (so I can have a chai late at night), but I might find some. 

I'm thinking a headache or migraine might be heading my way also.  I had it happen the last time I quit.  That didn't last very long. 

I get groceries delivered too...for whatever reason, I only ordered diet pepsi once.  I think because the store in our complex was settled as the way to get.  

I hope you get through the migraine okay.  

oof.  it's only 6:20pm and I'm dying to try to get to bed.  I can't because I need to keep things normal for the sleep study.  But I'm so dead.