CrazyBoards.org

I saw that some of you are on this drug.  What does it do exactly?  I looked online and could only find Inderal and that it slowed your heart down.  Is this true?

The reason why I ask is becasue I'm in the middle of a panic attack that is all physical.  my mind feels fine, but my body is racing and won't slow down.  (no, i haven't had an excessive amoutn of caffeine or sugar.)  I've taken four ativans and a glass of wine and nothing is happening to stop the nervousness.  What should I do? 

Thanks for listening 8-)

I have metoprolol, another beta blocker like proponolol, but for lithium tremors. 

I've tried it for anxiety, but it really doesn't do anything directly or immediately. It lowers my blood pressure a bit, decreases my tremors and probably somewhat relaxes overall muscular tension a tiny bit. 

A couple hours after taking it the net effect is a lower level of tension and probably by feedback lowered anxiety. I tried doubling the dose last time I went to the dentist and ended up with some chest tightness and difficulty breathing (but I have asthma and beta blockers can cause baaad asthma breathing difficulties...use with caution).

However, I can't recommend this for anxiety.  Even the smallest dose of Xanax has more direct and faster action.

A.M.

I take propranolol...very occasionally...does calm down the shakiness and fast heart rate when I get a panic attack...but I can't always take one in the middle of a panic attack...but it has helped at work sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

Was about to post questions about inderol when i saw this thread.

pdoc gave me inderol rx today.

some of you may have read about my fear of flying, driving etc.  and ativan and seroquel were not quite doing the job.

he's hoping this might help. he said its good for anticiaptory anxiety-( i start panicking before i leave for the airport.)

careful though he said about bp dropping- drink alot!!

any thoughts? experiences?

Ok,

just saw my pdoc yesterday and she is really leaning on me to take my 10mg of Metoprolol twice a day for anxiety.

I'll give it a shot.  It does decrease my tremors, and my tremors do get worse when I get excited or stressed, but it remains to be seen whether it reduces overall anxiety.

a.m.

I was on propranolol for about a year before I went into hospital and a prof took it off me.  His opinion was that it can have a depressing effect, and so err that I shouldn't take it.  It was good for the shakes tho, but not much else.

• 2 weeks later...

I have metoprolol, another beta blocker like proponolol, but for lithium tremors.

I think propranolol is almost the only one that has a central (not just peripherial) action. So, no other beta-blocker is going to help anxiety.

I've been on metoprolol 25 mg twice a day (though sometimes I only take it once) for racing heart and I have to say that it is good for the jitters and, yeah, the racing heart, but I wouldn't say it's good for panic or anxiety with a capital P or A. It deals with those physical things, but it does not, for me anyway, deal with the overall dread, hyperventilation, spazz out fear of a panic or anxiety attack.

That's just me, of course, but I've been on this med for over ten years for racing heart episodes not related to anxiety and I have unrelated anxiety...

CBD

Heya,

Thing is this.

Propranolol is something we (docs) often Rx for tremor (benign, med-related, thyroid-related) or migraine.

And for things like performance anxiety (like when a panicky person has to give a presentation).

Propranolol affects both the heart and lungs (plus supposably central effects. But these are all a buncha more generics anyways, so we'll never know.)

So.

If someone has asthma they *technically* should not take propranolol.

(Think of Ventolin. Beta-agonist. Propranolol. Beta-blocker which affects the lungs.)

Metoprolol is not *technically* indicated for any of these (tremory or anxious) conditions.

But, metoprolol is "cardioselective" -- doesn't screw up the asthmatic lungs.

So, worth a shot in a panicky asthmatic.

(And no help to me -- okay, some help as I wouldn't shake so much, but I bet neither BB would stop me from flushing from my toes on up.)

(Trust me, I'm a doctor smilie here -- heya VE, where is it??)

--ncc--

Archived