CrazyBoards.org

Hello All.

i have had about 4 hours sleep this whole week,no exaggeration.i am losing it.i keep feeling like i am about to fall asleep but when i go to lay down my eys snap open and my OCD starts assaulting me with disturbing thoughts and my anxiety spikes.

i'll admit,i have very poor sleep hygiene and i am sure my brain now associates my bed with wakefulness rather than with sleep.

Right now i am taking zopiclone 7.5 which i have been finding useless of late so i may just stop it.As well at bedtime i take 0.5 mg of clonazepam,and my nozinan was just increased to 50 mgs last night.Nozinan is supposed to be more sedating than chlorpromazine (Oh how i wish i could go back on lovely chlorpromazine but i developed long Q-T syndrome on it so my pdoc won't give it to me anymore.) but it is not good for getting you to sleep,it is supposed to keep you asleep throughout the night.i have both trouble falling asleep and staying asleep.My sleep study revealed hundreds of wakings during the night and the clinic was no help at all.

i was feeling optimistic about the increase in my nozinan but i only slept about 3 hours.Our target dose is 100 mgs but i will then have to be off of loxapine which makes me nervous.

Anyway.i am exhausted and my mind is starting to play tricks on me.i am quite sure it is intensifying my OCD.i have an appointment with my pdoc/tdoc tomorrow morning and i am going to ask him about temazepam.i doubt he'll let me try it and to be honest i don't remember if it helped in the past but i am desperate.But,i am already on clonazepam so maybe not.

i can't take melatonin as it is contraindicated with epilepsy.i can't take seroquel (dystonic reaction),remeron makes me sleep eat,trazodone worked years ago but the last time i took it i ended up curled up in a ball all night long shaking.

i am at a total loss.

i know i make a lot of CBT thought errors about sleep.i start fearing being awake all night again pretty much at the beginning of the day,perhaps causing a self fulfilling prophecy.

i have had a fear of letting go into sleep for as long as i can remember.i am not sure what that is about but perhaps i fear losing control.

So all this has led to terrible insomnia.i feel frantic.i am so scared of just how long this is going to go on.i just know if it continues i will end up in the hospital again.

Oh...so sorry this was so long.Sleep deprivation i guess leads me to ramble on when i write.i don't even know if i am making sense anymore.

Well,thank you for reading if you have.

i so wish i could see a nap in my future.

4 hours ago, gabagaba said:

Hello All.

i have had about 4 hours sleep this whole week,no exaggeration.i am losing it.i keep feeling like i am about to fall asleep but when i go to lay down my eys snap open and my OCD starts assaulting me with disturbing thoughts and my anxiety spikes.

i'll admit,i have very poor sleep hygiene and i am sure my brain now associates my bed with wakefulness rather than with sleep.

Right now i am taking zopiclone 7.5 which i have been finding useless of late so i may just stop it.As well at bedtime i take 0.5 mg of clonazepam,and my nozinan was just increased to 50 mgs last night.Nozinan is supposed to be more sedating than chlorpromazine (Oh how i wish i could go back on lovely chlorpromazine but i developed long Q-T syndrome on it so my pdoc won't give it to me anymore.) but it is not good for getting you to sleep,it is supposed to keep you asleep throughout the night.i have both trouble falling asleep and staying asleep.My sleep study revealed hundreds of wakings during the night and the clinic was no help at all.

i was feeling optimistic about the increase in my nozinan but i only slept about 3 hours.Our target dose is 100 mgs but i will then have to be off of loxapine which makes me nervous.

Anyway.i am exhausted and my mind is starting to play tricks on me.i am quite sure it is intensifying my OCD.i have an appointment with my pdoc/tdoc tomorrow morning and i am going to ask him about temazepam.i doubt he'll let me try it and to be honest i don't remember if it helped in the past but i am desperate.But,i am already on clonazepam so maybe not.

i can't take melatonin as it is contraindicated with epilepsy.i can't take seroquel (dystonic reaction),remeron makes me sleep eat,trazodone worked years ago but the last time i took it i ended up curled up in a ball all night long shaking.

i am at a total loss.

i know i make a lot of CBT thought errors about sleep.i start fearing being awake all night again pretty much at the beginning of the day,perhaps causing a self fulfilling prophecy.

i have had a fear of letting go into sleep for as long as i can remember.i am not sure what that is about but perhaps i fear losing control.

So all this has led to terrible insomnia.i feel frantic.i am so scared of just how long this is going to go on.i just know if it continues i will end up in the hospital again.

Oh...so sorry this was so long.Sleep deprivation i guess leads me to ramble on when i write.i don't even know if i am making sense anymore.

If u don’t mind which country are I in? I don’t think nozinan is in the us... have you tried any other atypicals beside seroquel? 

37 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

If u don’t mind which country are I in? I don’t think nozinan is in the us... have you tried any other atypicals beside seroquel? 

Oh i'm in Canada,and no,nozinan isn't available in the us.

As for atypicals i've tried risperidone,zyprexa,saphris,clozapine,and latuda.

You say you had hundreds of episodes of waking up during a sleep test....that sounds like sleep apnea and should be treated. In terms of medication, could you increase the zyprexa? It can be quite a sedative medication. Another option could be a sedative TCA like doxepin. 

6 hours ago, gabagaba said:

Hello All.

i am at a total loss.

I might be concerned that temazepam would also work more for staying asleep than falling asleep. Have you tried short acting benzos for sleep induction? If Canada has halcion, it is an extremely short acting benzo specifically for falling asleep. Diazepam used to work for me because it worked a bit faster than clonazepam but still lasted long enough for somewhat reasonable sleep. 

as another idea (with the caveat that I don’t know much about you or your specific situation) it the OCD is what’s keeping you up, could you try a med that would “calm your mind” even if it wasn’t overly sedating (I’m thinking low potency antipsychotics.) maybe if you can stop the thoughts you’ll need less sedation. This issue is I know that lots of meds in that category aren’t great for long QT

7 hours ago, gabagaba said:

As a fellow insomniac, I sympathize with you very much.......I also have OCD.

What I finally found success with is a combination of clonazepam (2mg at bedtime) and Trazodone (200mg at bedtime)...I get about 6-8 hours sleep per night with those.

I see you've tried lots of things, including trazodone.

There are no easy answers, but just thought of something that you haven't tried---Belsomra....It is available in Canada, and is a med specifically for insomnia......Some folks here have had success with it....Personally, I've never tried it, but it could be worth bringing up with your doc.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

23 hours ago, CeremonyNewOrder said:

You say you had hundreds of episodes of waking up during a sleep test....that sounds like sleep apnea and should be treated. In terms of medication, could you increase the zyprexa? It can be quite a sedative medication. Another option could be a sedative TCA like doxepin. 

They ruled out sleep apnea.My oxygen level was good all night.They just told me i suffer from broken sleep which i kind of already knew.

Thank you so much for all the support and ideas,everyone.

i called my pdoc in desperation yesterday and he agreed to prescribe me temazepam 30 mg.

i got 7 solid hours!

i spoke to him again today and he told me to try and use it as a prn so i don't build up a tolerance,but i don't know...i have my doubts that i will be able to to fall asleep on my own.

Anyway for now i am thrilled!

Today is a terrible anxiety and OCD day but atleast i am rested.

Thank you all again.