CrazyBoards.org

CrazyRedhead

What do you think of the 1-10 mood scale assessment?

I wasn't sure where to put this post, but mods please feel free to move it if necessary......

My new pdoc uses this 1-10 mood assessment scale.....He asks how I rate my depression, anxiety, and OCD on a 1-10 scale when we have telehealth appts.....Of course I always have high numbers.....The number 10 on his assessment scale for depression means you want to kill yourself......Well, I don't want to kill myself, so I rate myself as 9 on depression...In other words, my depression is severe, but not at the suicidal level........For anxiety and OCD I always rate myself a 10.

My previous pdocs never used this scale......They always asked for details on how my conditions were affecting me....To be honest, I really don't care for this method of assessing my conditions, but he is at a teaching hospital, so maybe he is required to do it......I give him some details......I've only had 3 appts with him so far, but last time he said we need to get my numbers lower.......Well, I've been trying to get my "numbers" lower for years now.....**SIGH**

My appts last about 20-30 minutes on average.

He asks how I feel about my medications......The only thing I could say was, I think they are at least allowing me minimal functioning.  (I can sleep, can go out occasionally, but can't go out at all without someone with me).

My therapist occasionally uses this scale with me, but only once in awhile......She is more interested in the details of my functional limits.

Anybody else's pdoc/therapist use this scale regularly?.....If so, how do you feel about it?.........Any thoughts/experiences welcome.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

i've had to use it in the context of PHP/IOP before.  Not with individual providers.

It's always been problematic and been something I have to modify because of the bipolar.  The most recent PHP did it as rating depression, which was easy because at the time I usually wasn't depressed.  But I was dealing with hallucinations, which weren't a part of their scale.  And a prior PHP did it as "mood."  They saw numbers like 9 and 10 as good - not depressed.  But with bipolar, a 9 or 10 could mean manic.  We had to define 5 as good and departing in either direction as bad.

In short...I don't like it.  My current pdoc does symptoms and that works a lot better for me.  My mood app does mild, moderate, and severe for depression, for elevated mood, for irritability, and for anxiety.  That also works. 

Edited by dancesintherain

@CrazyRedhead I'm sorry things have not improved much... I'm curious if you could share the description of each number/level? I am horrible at giving a numeric rating to my symptoms, but if there were details for each number it could be helpful.

Like 10 Suicidal (not safe, with plan), 9 Suicidal (passive thoughts)....not sure what 1-8 would be? Maybe 4 or 5 would be "anhedonic" ? I know typically, there are different scales for each mood disorder, even a scale to rate anhedonia...

Edited by Blahblah

I have a lot of difficulty using these kinds of scales and hate them passionately.  How do you put a subjective and at least somewhat individualized feeling with individual tolerance levels and functional limitations to an objective(seeming) scale and expect it to make any sense whatsoever?

Edited by Banana Smurf

2 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

My current pdoc does symptoms and that works a lot better for me.  My mood app does mild, moderate, and severe for depression, for elevated mood, for irritability, and for anxiety.  That also works. 

Mild, moderate and severe sounds like a better assessment system, than the 1-10 scale my pdoc uses.

1 hour ago, Blahblah said:

@CrazyRedhead I'm sorry things have not improved much... I'm curious if you could share the description of each number/level? I am horrible at giving a numeric rating to my symptoms, but if there were details for each number it could be helpful.

Like 10 Suicidal (not safe, with plan), 9 Suicidal (passive thoughts)....not sure what 1-8 would be? Maybe 4 or 5 would be "anhedonic" ? I know typically, there are different scales for each mood disorder, even a scale to rate anhedonia...

He only has descriptives for level 1 and level 10..... For the depression scale, he describes level 1 as having no depression at all, and level 10 as wanting to kill yourself......No other descriptives for numbers in between 1 and 10, which is not very helpful at all.....At least he could tell me descriptives for all the levels, but that's not the case.

I did it for IOP and it caused a miscommunication because most kids there were depressed so theu were looking for 8/9/10. But for me with bipolar those numbers meant manic so I was giving like 4s and it took a couple days before they figured it out.

I also had a pdoc who would give me the beck inventory almost always when I was depressed, which has suicidal as Max 4 out of forty points. So I could literally be ready to jump out a window but my depression might end up as only moderate or even moderate low... as u can imagine this frustrated me 

1 hour ago, Banana Smurf said:

I have a lot of difficulty using these kinds of scales and hate them passionately.  How do you put a subjective and at least somewhat individualized feeling with individual tolerance levels and functional limitations to an objective(seeming) scale and expect it to make any sense whatsoever?

I agree.....The 1-10 scale, with no descriptives of what levels 2-9 really entail, seems very inadequate to me.

1 minute ago, Iceberg said:

I did it for IOP and it caused a miscommunication because most kids there were depressed so theu were looking for 8/9/10. But for me with bipolar those numbers meant manic so I was giving like 4s and it took a couple days before they figured it out.

I also had a pdoc who would give me the beck inventory almost always when I was depressed, which has suicidal as Max 4 out of forty points. So I could literally be ready to jump out a window but my depression might end up as only moderate or even moderate low... as u can imagine this frustrated me 

That does sound very frustrating.....**SIGH**

I also don't like the number scale. There are too many factors. Mild/moderate/severe is better, but I still struggle with knowing which it is. Detailed descriptions of which symptoms warrant a given level could be helpful.

• Like 1

My therapist uses the Goldberg Mania Scale.  I sometimes get exasperated having to fill it out every time but it gives her an idea of where I stand at the beginning of each session, I suppose.  @CrazyRedhead I hope you get better soon.  Maybe having the vaccine widely available in the not too distant future will lift us all.

• Like 1

I have to fill out a questionnaire before all my appointments but it's frustrating because it's geared towards being all about depression, anxiety, and substance abuse. There is nothing about mania, psychosis, or OCD. Thus, my numbers may look "good" because I'm not as depressed as having other issues. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, CeremonyNewOrder said:

I have to fill out a questionnaire before all my appointments but it's frustrating because it's geared towards being all about depression, anxiety, and substance abuse. There is nothing about mania, psychosis, or OCD. Thus, my numbers may look "good" because I'm not as depressed as having other issues. 

This. I currently fill out a specific depression screening form for my pdoc too before each visit. She has all her patients do one. Well I have trouble concentrating (voices) and sleep a bit too much (meds related) and have low self esteem. But I am NOT depressed. Well the form probably shows mild or even moderate depression. When in fact psychosis is a bigger factor here. It causes the hard to concentrate and the oversleeping (the AAP’s I’m on can be sedating). That scale is good for some but flawed for others! 

Anyway @CrazyRedhead I agree with everyone. The number scale with no definition of what the numbers signify in meaning, is not good at rating symptom severity. What is the difference between a 9 and an 8 then for depression? Say 8.987653477 for depression next appointment. With a serious look on your face. Wait. Better not do that!

Honestly though, as hard as I know it is, probably the best thing to do is to ask for clarification of what the numbers mean. Or if you can rate your depression and other symptoms differently or not rate them but describe what has been happening good and bad or something like that?

Just some thoughts. I’m so sorry to hear you are not having an ideal outcome so far with this pdoc. I hope things get better for you. 

1 hour ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

Honestly though, as hard as I know it is, probably the best thing to do is to ask for clarification of what the numbers mean. Or if you can rate your depression and other symptoms differently or not rate them but describe what has been happening good and bad or something like that?

Just some thoughts. I’m so sorry to hear you are not having an ideal outcome so far with this pdoc. I hope things get better for you. 

Thanks Cheese, I agree with asking to clarify the scale, that's great idea......That would help a bit, I guess.......Also, I admit I like seeing a doc in person rather than these telehealth appointments, but it is what it is......**SIGH**

Edited by CrazyRedhead

6 hours ago, Juniper29 said:

I also don't like the number scale. There are too many factors. Mild/moderate/severe is better, but I still struggle with knowing which it is. Detailed descriptions of which symptoms warrant a given level could be helpful.

Yes, I plan on asking for clarification at next appt.......I think I can do it.....I hope I can.

I used to have to use the scales and I always said I had no clue, which was true. Finally my pdoc just gave up on it. Now the clinic uses what I think is the PH-9 with slightly better questions butI still struggle. The 1-10 baffled me. I never got clarification so that’s a good idea. Now i get asked about manic symptoms and that’s hard too. I don’t do well at those scale things at all. Could you say you experience x, y z and be ok?  Who thinks these things up anyway?

• Like 1

I hate scales like this for anything. They mean nothing. In the past I’ve just refused to do them. If you’re bipolar or have any mood disorder, they’re just not helpful.

I keep having to use the goddamn 1-10 pain scale, which is worthless to me. Pain and numbers aren’t even apples to oranges, they’re apples to ceiling fans-they’re totally unrelated. I always try to explain pain relative to other pain I’ve had (“Well, it’s not as bad as the moment you rip off a toenail, but it’s worse than a three week old broken rib), and they say “Uh-huh, so on a scale of one to ten...”

Finally I sat down and wrote a pain scale of my own, numbered one to ten, with my own ranked experiences of pain as references. So, say the toenail would rate and eight, and the rib a six, and so forth. Could you do something like that with the mood assessment scale? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gearhead said:

Finally I sat down and wrote a pain scale of my own, numbered one to ten, with my own ranked experiences of pain as references. So, say the toenail would rate and eight, and the rib a six, and so forth. Could you do something like that with the mood assessment scale? 

I could ask about it at next telephone appt in December.....I am going to definitely ask for clarification on what numbers 2-9 mean......

I've only been given clarifications on number 1= no depression, and number 10=want to kill myself.......

At last appt, I said I would rate myself as number 9, because although I am still very depressed, I have no desire to kill myself at all.

Thanks Gear.....I hope you are feeling better....

Edited by CrazyRedhead