CrazyBoards.org

I'm looking for some insight into a change my psychiatrist recently made.

I've been on 300mg ER Bupropion and 50mg Doxepin for a while now and recently expressed to my doc that I'd like to try something else, feeling like the current ones haven't been feeling like they've done anything to help.

She said alright, we can try something new. She reduced my Bupropion to 150mg ER, which makes sense to me, to taper off. But she also said to go ahead and stop the Doxepin and she prescribed me a new med: Gabapentin at 100mg.

I did what I always do and googled Gabapentin and found that its an anti-seizure med, I couldn't find any information about it being used to treat MDD or anxiety or anything we've talked about. I've never had a seizure in my life. I asked the pharmacist when I picked it up and he said that he's never heard of using it for depression either.

Do any of you have any insight into why she would give me this? It just doesn't seem relevant at all. I plan to ask her when I talk to her again in a week or so unless someone has a better suggestion.

It is definitely used for anxiety, but never heard of it for MDD. Were you targeting a specific symptom? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Iceberg said:

It is definitely used for anxiety, but never heard of it for MDD. Were you targeting a specific symptom? 

Is it? I didn't see anything suggesting that. Still seems odd if its not a mainline treatment. There's no specific symptom I don't think, maybe trouble sleeping? The bottle does say I can take multiple to help with insomnia. Although I told her that I fall asleep without much trouble but I can be out for 10 hours and wake up with no energy.

Just seemed like a strange med choice.

I take it for anxiety, and it works amazing for me.  There are a few (likely more) people on here who take it for anxiety.  

5 hours ago, jarn said:

I take it for anxiety, and it works amazing for me.  There are a few (likely more) people on here who take it for anxiety.  

3 hours ago, Undun said:

I've been on 600mg 3x a day gabapentin since 2008 for anxiety (especially driving anxiety), and find it works really well. I've never experienced side effects at all. Here's a link to 355 user reviews who rate it 7.9 out of 10 for this application- https://www.drugs.com/comments/gabapentin/for-anxiety.html 

That's actually really reassuring. We haven't talked as much about my anxiety over my depression but I do feel better knowing it's good for helping with that. Is the 600mg a more standard dose? Right now I'm on the 100mg at bedtime but I'm assuming she's just starting low and will increase.

45 minutes ago, NaomiSparkle said:

That's actually really reassuring. We haven't talked as much about my anxiety over my depression but I do feel better knowing it's good for helping with that. Is the 600mg a more standard dose? Right now I'm on the 100mg at bedtime but I'm assuming she's just starting low and will increase.

600 x 3 is on the upper end. While lots of people get there i don't think its necessarily a target dose that you must aim for 

I think Iceberg is correct, 600 3x a day leans toward the higher end (I believe my pdoc called it "robust", lol). I know it's also used off-label at much higher doses for pain, but unfortunately it wasn't effective as an analgesic for me.