CrazyBoards.org

I talked with my pdoc today and she mentioned Transcranial magnetic simulation (TMS) treatment because I've failed 98% of antidepressants and we are running out of options. She said it might be hard to get the insurance to cover it because my diagnosis isn't MDD, which it is approved for  but she said she would be willing to make the case for me to get it. It sounds like its not that invasive or anything so I'm willing to give it a try. Anyone have experience? 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

wow, and i was actually considering trying it because it says it helps with anxiety, but it failed for you guys too? wow and i was just looking for information for me and my friend to see if we can look into it, but she's terrified to do it, i dont have the money because the insurance won't cover it.. what about ketamine guys?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I had 5 sessions/week for about 3 months starting in Nov. 2019 & felt remarkably better within 2 weeks.  After finishing the round, I felt better for about 10 months, then was back where I started.  I'm maxed out on Effexor & Wellbutrin.  Also on Seroquel and hormone replacement therapy (I'll risk cancer instead of mood swings and sleep disruption.)

I've been on Spravato (cousin of ketamine) weekly for about 3 months  - 2 snorts per nostril - and it helps.  A lot.

Both of these are so much easier than the ECT I had in 2015 & 2016.

Edited by laissezlesWHATrouler
forgot to mention the ECT
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

30 sessions. Took ages before I felt anything and then lasted for about 6 months I guess. I’m considering ECT but am terrified. Have 2 small children. All meds make me worse. 

57 minutes ago, BIMBO said:

30 sessions. Took ages before I felt anything and then lasted for about 6 months I guess. I’m considering ECT but am terrified. Have 2 small children. All meds make me worse. 

I too am considering ECT. My pdoc thinks I'm too far gone and treatment resistant for TMS to work *sigh*

I am pretty much in the same boat, Ceremony. I have two meds left, but one is highly unlikely to work, and the other is an MAOI. Food is the one thing that MI hasn’t ruined for me, so I’m not willing to let it take that away from me on the off chance that it might provide some relief. So therefore TMS and ECT. But he also mentioned ketamine and psilocybin. But the former is apparently no good for those who hallucinate. Not sure why my pdoc didn’t mention that, if true. And I have no clue as to how to go about getting psilocybin, or how to use it. :(

6 minutes ago, Goofball said:

I am pretty much in the same boat, Ceremony. I have two meds left, but one is highly unlikely to work, and the other is an MAOI. Food is the one thing that MI hasn’t ruined for me, so I’m not willing to let it take that away from me on the off chance that it might provide some relief. So therefore TMS and ECT. But he also mentioned ketamine and psilocybin. But the former is apparently no good for those who hallucinate. Not sure why my pdoc didn’t mention that, if true. And I have no clue as to how to go about getting psilocybin, or how to use it. :(

Yeah I figure ketamine is off limits for people who have psychotic symptoms though I read one study of it's use in bipolar depression. I've yet to ask my pdoc. It doesn't matter anyways because it's not covered yet by my insurance.

1 hour ago, CeremonyNewOrder said:

Yeah I figure ketamine is off limits for people who have psychotic symptoms though I read one study of it's use in bipolar depression. I've yet to ask my pdoc. It doesn't matter anyways because it's not covered yet by my insurance.

It’s definitely done for BP depression, but I’m not sure if it’s off limits for any psychosis or just present psychosis in BP depression

6 hours ago, CeremonyNewOrder said:

My pdoc looked up the cost, and it’s really expensive. :(

I did ECT in 2015 & 2016.  2015 worked great until it quit working after a few months.  2016 allowed me to stop crying and stay stopped enough to go back to work, but I never did feel good.

I did TMS Nov. 2019 - Jan 2020 - about 30 treatments.  I could feel the difference within 2 weeks and by the time I finished, I felt great.  Until I didn't about 6 months later.  

This is typical for me, so it's no wonder every so often I think "the only way this is ever going to end is when I'm dead" which is true but unproductive.

I've been doing Spravato treatments weekly for a few months and so far, so good.

I've been dealing with depression since I was 13 and I'll be 63 in September. Can't wait to celebrate my golden anniversary!

Edited by Stillkickin
forgot to include the ECT
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Stillkickin said:

I did ECT in 2015 & 2016.  2015 worked great until it quit working after a few months.  2016 allowed me to stop crying and stay stopped enough to go back to work, but I never did feel good.

I did TMS Nov. 2019 - Jan 2020 - about 30 treatments.  I could feel the difference within 2 weeks and by the time I finished, I felt great.  Until I didn't about 6 months later.  

This is typical for me, so it's no wonder every so often I think "the only way this is ever going to end is when I'm dead" which is true but unproductive.

I've been doing Spravato treatments weekly for a few months and so far, so good.

I've been dealing with depression since I was 13 and I'll be 63 in September. Can't wait to celebrate my golden anniversary!

I’ll have to google spravato. I’ve been dealing with it for over 4 decades now, so I know how “joyous” those anniversaries are. 🥺 

I googled schizoaffective disorder and ketamine. The literature generally says its a bad idea for psychotic disorders but this article says this should be reassessed in treatment of depressive episodes in schizoaffective disorder. I wonder if this applies to the nasal spray as well or not.

https://www.omicsonline.org/open-access/ketamine-role-in-schizoaffective-disorder-depressive-type-2155-6105-1000346-94423.html

1 hour ago, CeremonyNewOrder said:

I googled schizoaffective disorder and ketamine. The literature generally says its a bad idea for psychotic disorders but this article says this should be reassessed in treatment of depressive episodes in schizoaffective disorder. I wonder if this applies to the nasal spray as well or not.

https://www.omicsonline.org/open-access/ketamine-role-in-schizoaffective-disorder-depressive-type-2155-6105-1000346-94423.html

I looked and psychotic disorder doesnt seem to be an absolute contraindication, but i know that when i went for infusions, they wouldnt touch you with a ten foot poll if you were experiencing psychosis or had been experiencing psychosis within a certain amount of time (this might have been an arbitrary decision at the discretion of the docs, I don't think it was a set number)