CrazyBoards.org

Pre-employment Drug Screen

Just about every job in my line of work requires a pre-employment drug screen.  Do any of the crazy meds show up besides the stimulants like Adderall?

I currently take 450 mg Wellbutrin SR, 20 mg Vivactil (a tricyclic AD), and 100 mg Topomax, an anti-seizure med which I take as an off-label usage to augment the other ADs. 

Lawyers have told me that I don't have to 'fess up to being on maintainance meds because being crazy is covered under the ADA regulations, but they haven't been able to say if my cover will be blown with a drug test or not.  Anyone have any experience with this? 

I ran a drug screening program for a moderate size company for a little over a year.    Nothing like watching 350 people piss in a bottle to make your day.  Rah!

I never had anyone pop positive for any documented medication or over the counter drug that was declared!!!!!!!!!!  I can't emphasize enough. 

Out of the 30 odd people who popped positive almost all of them eventually admitted using the drug.  Of the remaining few, it was pretty obvious that with their dishelved appearance, poor work performance and disintegrating personal lives that SOMETHING was going on.

I ended up with a couple adamantly insisted they didn't use the drug but they typically were close associates of another person who had just come up positive that test as well. I offered retests for anyone who came up positive.  Most didn't bother, they knew they had been caught.  Those who did ususally came up positive again.

While I worried about all the things that could go wrong handling samples or in the lab the process seemed to be pretty darn reliable. I even toured the lab and payed close attention to the condition and how the techs were doing things.  Now, we used a very expensive lab.. no cost spared. I can't guarantee that all labs are that good.

The standard testing at the time (20 years ago)

Cannibinoids

Cocaine

Opiates

Steroids only on special request

I don't recall amphetamines being on the list, but I'm not sure at this late date.  At the time powder cocaine was the rage and crack hadn't come along yet.  Speed or meth was considered a '70's thing.

- You shouldn't have to disclose ANYTHING unless a positive result comes up. 

- If they do return a positive result they should tell you what it is for, and all you should have to do to explain it is present either a prescription bottle or a letter from your doctor stating nothing more than the fact that you have been prescribed that drug.

Good luck, and remember to study hard for The Whiz Quiz.  ;)

A.M.

It would depend how extensive of a test that they do.  Besides the stimulants, benzos might show.  So would barbituates (which are not prescribed these days).

If you are concerned, you can ask your doctor about it.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old topic, but I just ran across it and was screened a little while ago. I was worried that the ativan and the concerta would trip me up and I'd have to have documentation for a positive.

I work for a pretty popular and large chain of department stores and they screen everyone. They didn't ask me to explain ahead of time. They did say that I don't tell them beforehand about anything and any documentation doesn't go to my employer. If I tested positive, it would go to the testing place and then if that wasn't sufficient, THEN they would contact my employer.

And I guess the testing place is a chain too.

If you are nervous about testing, I would call and ask them exactly what happens. They aren't going to pin you as a user or anything for asking. I'm sure a lot of people do ask about procedure.

I'm wondering, now, if they go by the AMOUNT that shows up also?

...is that dumb?

AM?

It would depend, I think, on if they confirm with mass spectrometry.

If they just use a dip test, the amount doesn't matter.

A "real" test screens with RIA and then separates out with gas chromatograph/confirms with mass spectrometry. The levels there matter because some drugs metabolize to other drugs, which would "look" like a positive if one did not know which ratios to expect. (For example, a small amount of hydrocodone metabolizes to hydromorphone. Not a lot. Just a bit. Someone who's reading it and doesn't know what that means would think that was a positive for Dilaudid. )

So the amounts are relevant only in context.... depending on the drug. (The metabolite of cocaine, for example, comes only from cocaine.)

I'm wondering, now, if they go by the AMOUNT that shows up also?

...is that dumb?

AM?

Silver gave an excellent response. But hopefully they DO check for the amount as well. Here's why: depending on the method the tests can be incredibly sensitive, detecting at the nanogram/ml level. Ideally, they would chose a 'positive" threshold that is several times higher than the minimun detection level in order to avoid false positives. And even after a positive that is above the threshold, they should retest the sample with with a gc/ms. Again, let me state that out of several thousand tests, I had no one come up positive for legal meds.

My best advice: DON'T SWEAT IT. You are unlikely to get fired for using legal drugs prescribed by your doctor. If you are, then you have a great lawsuit.

a.m.

Archived