CrazyBoards.org

Just in case someone here has experience...

Last January (11 months ago), I fell on some slick snow with the dogs and landed hard on my hip and shoulder.  Hurt my back too.  We were up north, I took a few days off then back to nordic skiing and snowshoe running.  Went for a massage in the nearby town.  

Got back home, my hip hurt but I could run etc. without pain.  Eventually had enough issues from back etc. went to a sports chiro.  He looked at my hip too, thought possibly bursitis.  Eventually he said he thought I had a labrum tear in my hip.  Continued running/hiking through this.  But it was getting worse and worse at other points - even going around a corner in the car and the movement on my hip from that was very painful.  

When we went camping in September I didn't have a regular appointment with him.  And my hip felt better.  So I stopped going and my hip has stabilized.  It's still painful in certain positions, but not as bad as as it was.  I can run/ride the bike/hike etc.  

In the summer I had x-rays and ultrasounds - no findings.  I had a MRI with contrast dye today.  

Got the results today.  Suspicious of superior labral tear.  I'm being referred to an orthopaedic surgeon.  

I don't know what to hope for.  I am going to try to slim down as obesity may be a reason not to do surgery (if I need surgery).  Damn zyprexa!  I am going to be verrrry careful what I eat.  

I hope you get a decent evaluation with a definite yea or nay to a tear. I know that the surgery (if that's the route to go) most likely will be arthroscopic and that's less invasive and easier to heal from (I've had 3 arthroscopic knee surgeries and one full open knee surgery). I wonder if there's any physical therapy that would be helpful meanwhile? Have any NSAIDs helped with pain/inflammation? Anything to give some relief while you wait, you know? Also: do you find the Saxenda helpful with weight control? I'm on it too and finding it to be helpful.

I had reconstructive hip surgery 4 years ago and my labral cartilage pre surgery looked like shredded mozzarella cheese. If you want more details about what repair and all that jazz entails, shoot me a message. 

Thanks Yarn and Chem.  

I think it would be arthroscopic too...assuming I am a candidate for surgery.  

Yarn, re: Saxenda - it's holding my weight steady - I go back and forth within a 3-4lb range...it definitely helps kill the Zyprexa appetite, so part of my not losing I'm sure is my habits?  Don't know.  

And ugh, I still feel weird today - I had a reaction (mild) to the contrast dye.  Yesterday I was nauseous, dizzy, and had a real bad headache.  I can't imagine I'm still reacting? so maybe all of that just triggered a migraine and the wooziness is part of that.  

In fun news, I go for bloodwork at lunch time.  I can't figure out how to reschedule online.  So I'm just going to go.  FML

I'm not sure what it was @yarnandcats - they needed to inject it using x-ray (injected into my hip capsule), but the MRI contrast doesn't show up on x-ray, so they injected me with x-ray contrast to make sure they were in the right place, and THEN injected the MRI contrast.  

At least, I figured out how to cancel my bloodwork appointment at lunch, so I did that and rescheduled to next week.  Whew!  My head is super grumpy, even having taken meds  

Yup...and my mom's had contrast for an (ultrasound?) and had hives, which is a more serious reaction.  She's had all sorts of allergies though, and I don't, so I was hoping I'd be fine.  I think next time I may do the regime of pre-meds to stop the reaction.  If there is a next time.  

55 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

Sorry to hear that you had the negative reaction, even if on the milder side.  That's still disruptive.

Thanks dances.  I've taken a second extra-strength Aleve (Naproxen) in four hours (supposed to be every 8-12 hours) - I've tried two migraine meds in the past, one did nothing, the other gives me AWFUL heartburn.  So Naproxen is basically my fall back.  It's a lot better, but I still feel tightness in my head.

Just now, Unstrung Harp said:

Sorry about the tear and the reaction to the dye. I guess it's good they found the tear finally though.

Yeah...I mean, they said suspicious of, but I have the symptoms, my sports chiro and sports medicine doctor both thought that was it.