CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Bueler

Treating anxiety without falling asleep

Good evening,

I always thought Xanax was a great medication for anxiety.  SSRI's cause unacceptable side effects.  Xanax never really had side effects and made my anxiety better.

Now maybe I'm developing a tolerance... I've been on Benzos for at least 10 years or longer.  But if I even take one, I get tired.  Then I realize I'm still anxious, but I know if I take another one, I'm just going to get more and more tired.

Has anyone else started to experience more sedation than relief from anxiety with Xanax over time?  Is there any solution to this?  Like drink coffee with my Xanax or take a tolerance break for a month or something?  I don't even know how long a tolerance break I would need.

17 minutes ago, Bueler said:

Good evening,

I always thought Xanax was a great medication for anxiety.  SSRI's cause unacceptable side effects.  Xanax never really had side effects and made my anxiety better.

Now maybe I'm developing a tolerance... I've been on Benzos for at least 10 years or longer.  But if I even take one, I get tired.  Then I realize I'm still anxious, but I know if I take another one, I'm just going to get more and more tired.

Has anyone else started to experience more sedation than relief from anxiety with Xanax over time?  Is there any solution to this?  Like drink coffee with my Xanax or take a tolerance break for a month or something?  I don't even know how long a tolerance break I would need.

Do you have a pdoc following this for you? Maybe you could add a background med that would allow you to only need a smaller dose and be less sleepy. How often are u taking the Xanax? 

I take it once when starting my work shift because I'm so anxious before work my insides churn and I'm nauseous and everything else. 

I also take it in the evening because all the thoughts I'm ruminating about keep me up and from destressing. 

What do you suggest for a "background drug" given I can't take SSRIs, APs make me more tired than benzos, and I am unaware of much else that is actually effective... 

Obviously I don’t know your med history so I didn’t have a specific best choice... but.... some people take gabapentin, lyrica, other types of antidepressants like remeron, Effexor/cymbalta (SNRIs- similar but not the same, maybe could play nicer with your brain) and could also include switching to a longer acting benzo, which may cover u while producing less sedation 

Thank you for your suggestions Iceberg.  Unfortunately I have tried all those medications.  SNRI's actually make me more anxious.

I guess side effects are just unavoidable sometimes.  I think having so much more anxiety lately is contributing to needing more xanax, which of course leads to more sedation.

I will try to find other ways to manage my anxiety and use less xanax.

Have a good day.

Klonopin features no or little sleepiness for many people. I don't feel anything when Klonopin kicks in except my anxiety going away.