CrazyBoards.org

What is the best way of dealing with stress

• 1 month later...

when stress is really bad, sleeping becomes my escape. you have to watch that you dont start oversleeping, but having a nap can allow you to hit pause for a bit. or even just hiding under a blanket.

therapy/talking to someone who is willing to listen can be a good release.

also agree that nature helps. just sitting outside and listening to the wind is calming for me. 

cooking was helpful for me when i was under a lot of stress in school. doing something with your hands and creating something tangible from nothing can be really soothing and satisfying. if it's cold where live right now, making something heavier like stew or soup can offer some comfort.

listening to loud noisy music while commuting to/from work has also given me some relief.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/22/2021 at 6:18 AM, echolocation said:

when stress is really bad, sleeping becomes my escape. you have to watch that you dont start oversleeping, but having a nap can allow you to hit pause for a bit. or even just hiding under a blanket.

therapy/talking to someone who is willing to listen can be a good release.

also agree that nature helps. just sitting outside and listening to the wind is calming for me.

THIS...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I do a few things, depending on how I'm feeling and how intensely I'm feeling them. I will isolate myself in my walk in closet. I have a comfy chair in there. It is quiet, and I will light soothingly scented candles, or, recently I've become addicted to using an oil infuser. I will use a cool gel filled eye mask and just listen to soft music or meditate. I engage all my senses when possible. Sometimes, I'll spend hours in my closet. But, like I said, its a big walk in so I don't feel confined or trapped but I feel secure. 

Another thing I do, is keep a box of pine cones handy, in a box off the side of my porch. When I become angry or anxious, or restless nothing is as satisfying as smashing pine cones against the side of the house. Yeah, I get some weird looks since moving to an apartment complex and smashing them against my own door...but it works. I love to see them explode. For me, pine cones are free...just go to the park, woods and pick them up. 

When I had my own vehicle, I'd get in and go for super long drives on the back roads of Texas. I'd get so lost...and crank up the music and roll down the windows and just enjoy being alone. Sometimes I'd sing, way off key...I loved all the butt kicking songs. By the time I got back to a main road I had my boots back on and was ready to kick some butt. If I wasn't singing, I'd stop and take pictures of things that caught my attention. Other times, I'd just stop and gaze over fields of cows...

Finally, going fishing. I never really caught anything and I didn't really want to. If I did, it was catch and release. But sitting there, on the dock or river bank, feet in the water, surrounded by nature and no one talking...seeing the ripples in the water...it is all very calming to me.